We may have ourselves a LAX tourney | Syracusefan.com

We may have ourselves a LAX tourney

we definitely have a lacrosse league! 6 teams makes for an automatic bid.

SU, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Maryland, Notre Dame?

Yeah, that's one hell of a brutal conference schedule right there.

Plus add Hopkins, Cornell, Princeton, Army, Albany, Hobart, maybe Colgate? :cool:

What if the ACC tourney only includes the Top 4 teams? :eek:
They might do that, or they might play 3-6, 4-5, with 1 and 2 getting byes to the semis. Just adds one day.

They might do that, or they might play 3-6, 4-5, with 1 and 2 getting byes to the semis. Just adds one day.

LAX teams don't usually play on 3 consecutive days. Teams 3-6 would be toast if they made the finals.

LAX teams don't usually play on 3 consecutive days. Teams 3-6 would be toast if they made the finals.
But the tournament currently is played on a Friday and Sunday. They could probably (if they wanted to) play Tuesday/Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday if they wanted to make it work.

But the tournament currently is played on a Friday and Sunday. They could probably (if they wanted to) play Tuesday/Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday if they wanted to make it work.

You're right. I thought it was a consecutive two day affair.

Pros and cons:

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/09/12/notre-dame-acc-pros-cons

"I wouldn’t be surprised to see the ACC stay at a four-team tournament now that there will be a sixth member; they’d likely have to go with the top seed as the host since the risk of picking a site ahead of time that didn’t make the event could be too high".
I wasn't paying full attention to the press conference so I may be wrong but it sounds like they play to stay at 4 teams for the tournament.

Coaches react:

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2012/09/12/coaches-react-notre-dames-move-acc-big-east-statement

Syracuse's John Desko
IL: What are your thoughts on Notre Dame joining the ACC?
"It's all good things. There will be no days off in the ACC. ... It's not like you're being put into a conference where the opponents are weak so you're certainly not hurting the RPI and your strength of schedule."
IL: And what does this mean for scheduling?
"I think it does warrant a lot of discussion of when the ACC tournament would be if there is one. If the ACC tourney is the third to last weekend of the season, and you have to play the ACC teams before the tourney for seedings and so on, that eliminates the last weekend of the season for ACC opponents. So what that does now is you need to play all the ACC teams pretty much between the beginning of March and the second weekend in April. In that time period, you've got six weekends and five ACC opponents, so five out of those six weekends will have to be ACC teams. It gets complicated when you look at our opponents: the Johns Hopkins, the Princetons, the Georgetowns. It's probably going to be a total revamp of the schedule. If they could even consider doing the tourney on the last weekend of the regular season or the weekend before, that could really help teams with scheduling. It would open up other weekends."

Versus G'Town, Villanova, Marquette, Providence, Rutgers, St. John's

Almost not even fair...I predict the ESPN gives an exclusive Sat slot to the ACC and the league becomes a net revenue producer.

I haven't read all the documents, but the women's acc championship has 6 teams. Games played Friday, Saturday and Monday. I can only assume they will do the same for the men's championship, it will be a battle for any team to win the championship.

I cannot see any way that all the current rivals stay on the schedule. I think that Princeton might be ripe for the chopping block. They are going to have to play their acc schedule in the first 8 or so weeks, that will limit some of the traditional march games. You have to keep Hopkins, so it would make sense to get rid of Princeton. My ideal future regular season looks this:

ACC regular season
Duke
Maryland
UNC
UVA
ND

Out Of Conference
Hopkins
Cornell
Hobart
Army
Albany
Villanova
Michigan

I haven't read all the documents, but the women's acc championship has 6 teams. Games played Friday, Saturday and Monday. I can only assume they will do the same for the men's championship, it will be a battle for any team to win the championship.

I cannot see any way that all the current rivals stay on the schedule. I think that Princeton might be ripe for the chopping block. They are going to have to play their acc schedule in the first 8 or so weeks, that will limit some of the traditional march games. You have to keep Hopkins, so it would make sense to get rid of Princeton. My ideal future regular season looks this:

ACC regular season
Duke
Maryland
UNC
UVA
ND

Out Of Conference
Hopkins
Cornell
Hobart
Army
Albany
Villanova
Michigan
That would be a brutal schedule. I'd drop Nova and Michigan (we'll be doing enough traveling). Probably one of Army or Cornell. We need a couple breathers (Providence/St. John's/Colgate, maybe).

If we take the 5 BE teams not named ND off the 2012 schedule and add UNC and Maryland, there are 3 openings.

I'd like to add Colgate back on, and two wild cards. Leave room for a MetLife game.

What if the ACC tourney only includes the Top 4 teams? :eek:

Top 2 get a bye, play in on a Thursday at 2/3 seed home, before a Sat/Sun tourney.

That will sell tickets.

Just glad games are being televised more often. Gonna be hard to get to many games if SU drops Princeton/Rutgers and starts playing in the ACC.

So, suppose Navy ends up coming in with ND as FB #16 and lax #7. If GT and Nova are the candidates for BB #16, which would be the betler lax#8?

So, suppose Navy ends up coming in with ND as FB #16 and lax #7. If GT and Nova are the candidates for BB #16, which would be the betler lax#8?
Ah, screw it. Just invite Hopkins and we'll rename the ACC tourney the NCAA tournament.:eek:

1. Navy ISN'T being invited as FB #16.

2. GT and Nova AREN'T being invited for BB #16.

3. In the highly unlikely event that Navy is granted a FB ONLY membership ... they would continue to compete in the Patriot League for LAX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom