We need another guard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We need another guard

They may be thinking "portal" for a guard. Which would require a good selling job to convince a good player that he could get decent minutes.
Its gonna be hard to sell a transfer bc usually they are looking for playing time
A class of 21 recruit would have been a better option where you try to work him in slowly
Tonight showed why you cant go w just 3 on the roster in case of injury
AG kinda became a 3rd guard to get the inbounds along w Marek but its poor roster management

griffin is a 3 on offense 2 in zone D. maybe some box and one or something extended zone with him on either guard on Wed if kadary is recovering with guerrier Dolez brass at the forwards imo. we have the depth.

Last edited:
We got away this season with just 3 guards. Pure luck. If Kadary is out now we're cooked.
And no guard recruits for next season either? I don't get the thinking.
Hope via the portal? Agree another guard needed next season -ASAP.

I just wish we would give Woody a shot. Kid shows signs he has a handle that could develop, would be a menace up top and can shoot it.

He's a forward. Griffin should be up top but he doesn't shoot it well enough on a consistent basis to put him as a 2.

As far as Girard goes, he has a lot of work to do in the off-season. His handle needs to get a lot better as does his conditioning. I don't make the fat jokes others do here, but he's significantly heavier. Tonight's game was Joe at his absolute worst and the signal that they absolutely need another guard next season. Just can't have Benny as the only recruit for '21.

He's a forward. Griffin should be up top but he doesn't shoot it well enough on a consistent basis to put him as a 2.

As far as Girard goes, he has a lot of work to do in the off-season. His handle needs to get a lot better as does his conditioning. I don't make the fat jokes others do here, but he's significantly heavier. Tonight's game was Joe at his absolute worst and the signal that they absolutely need another guard next season. Just can't have Benny as the only recruit for '21.

Woody is a freshman who is perimeter oriented. He doesn't have to be a prototypical 2 to play it just needs a handle and the necessary quickness along with an outside shot. He has all of those with a developing handle.

griffins best offense is from the sides not uptop which should open things up for the front line and K.

I’m not ready to give up on Joe after year 2 when most thought he would barely see the court by now(Thank you Jalen). There have been games he’s played well next to Kadary when Buddy was awful. Fans have short memories.
I’m with you, but only if Joe is used to spell buddy at the two. Emergency usage at point, but I’d prefer a legit backup to Richmond.

Did they mention anything about what Kadary's injury was during the telecast? Watched it out to dinner, with no volume.

As soon as Kadary got hurt (I think around the 2 minute mark), thank goodness we had Dolezaj in the game to handle the ball. Nearly unbelievable but at clutch time - the last two minutes - we could hardly bring the ball up the floor. Can you imagine what it would have looked like if Dolezaj had fouled out?

Did they mention anything about what Kadary's injury was during the telecast? Watched it out to dinner, with no volume.

No. It was probably a cramp.

He’s literally the same player as last year except he’s shooting from two a little better this year.
He's worse than last year. He could be counted on to make FTs at crunch time last year. This year he wants no part of trying to get open to get the ball in that situation. And when he went to the line he looked, quite honestly very nervous, tonight. He seems like he has lost his confidence. He's made some real bone head plays at the end of games this year and tonight was no exception. When Joe fouled on purpose with 11 second to play, Satalin said JB was irate and shouting at Joe that he wanted him to foul but not with 11 seconds left.

He's worse than last year. He could be counted on to make FTs at crunch time last year. This year he wants no part of trying to get open to get the ball in that situation. And when he went to the line he looked, quite honestly very nervous, tonight. He seems like he has lost his confidence. He's made some real bone head plays at the end of games this year and tonight was no exception. When Joe fouled on purpose with 11 second to play, Satalin said JB was irate and shouting at Joe that he wanted him to foul but not with 11 seconds left.
Yet I’m seeing the same garbage he was doing last year that people are all of a sudden noticing this year. He did the same thing last year, it’s amazing what the last minute 3s he would make last season masked how bad he really was.

Agree with these comments on Joe. However, he did make 3 of 4 key free throws near the end. Of course that reflects his shooting ability and nothing else
2 out of 4, I thought. 1 of 2 each time.
I also saw (before this game) that our top free throw shooter was down below 80% now for the season, which seems impossible to believe. Didn't he shoot in the 90s last year?

I’m not ready to give up on Joe after year 2 when most thought he would barely see the court by now(Thank you Jalen). There have been games he’s played well next to Kadary when Buddy was awful. Fans have short memories.
Couldn't agree more. He absolutely went off in the first half against BC, showing what he is capable of. People/athletes have bad stretches, it happens. I'm one of the people who's pushed for more Kadary minutes here and on the airwaves, and I still do, but I think Joe is a good, serviceable player. He needs to be respected by the fans and given the space and time to figure out his issues and get back on track. We owe him that much. He'll be back on track trust me.

this isn't MLB where you have a guy's rights for 6 years and can wait for him to develop quite a long time..not when you are freaking starting the kid. get someone better in here ..it can't be that hard given how low the bar is.

JB hopefully is crapping his pants (not age-related) and realizing that they probably should've been pursuing someone, ANYone, so that there is at least 1 serviceable guard to split time with Buddy and KR.

Really need 4 guards to protect against injury, but I'll settle for 3.

Here's what I hope happens:
  1. Kadary starts the rest of the way.
  2. Joe reads the tea leaves and realizes he'll be a better fit at an Ivy or midmajor.
  3. Staff pounds the portal for an immediate-impact transfer guard who can be promised 20 minutes a game.
  4. Stretch goal: snatch a 4-star, top 100 SG/PG who would be content to see little PT next year waiting his turn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom