We need another guard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We need another guard

So what is UNCs excuse and about half the league at this point ? Almost everyone needs 1-2 more guards but cant find them. JG is an ACC level guard whether we want to except it. that doesnt mean he is an elite ACC level guard.

JG is an ACC level guard whether we want to except it.
Oh I do take exception.

He wouldn't start on any other ACC team. He might see backup minutes for a bottom-dwelling team like BC, maybe.

Bottom line he would be a better fit in a non-power 5 league. JB should sit him down and be blunt - lose 30 lbs off-season, never sniff another donut and be content playing 10 minutes a night, or good luck someplace else.

Oh I do take exception.

He wouldn't start on any other ACC team. He might see backup minutes for a bottom-dwelling team like BC, maybe.

Bottom line he would be a better fit in a non-power 5 league. JB should sit him down and be blunt - lose 30 lbs off-season, never sniff another donut and be content playing 10 minutes a night, or good luck someplace else.
he was better last night that the kids UNC rolled out there.

he was better last night that the kids UNC rolled out there.
Did you notice UNC played 6 guards last night?

SU has 3 on the roster

That right there is a serious issue of depth and roster management.

They should have recruited one in the class of 21 last spring when Goodine transferred, but what do I know?

Did you notice UNC played 6 guards last night?

SU has 3 on the roster

That right there is a serious issue of depth and roster management.

They should have recruited one in the class of 21 last spring when Goodine transferred, but what do I know?
yup because the all played poorly he played them all.

Not saying we dont have a need for 1-2 more either.

Why, as fans, do we constantly chase players off?

Goodine was not an ACC calibre guard yet everyone clamored for him to play.

Girard’s going on two years of double digit scoring and was almost on the ACC’s all freshman team. But we think he’s not acc calibre and better luck to ya in the Ivy’s?

Last edited:
I hope Joe stays. We won’t get anyone better than Joe that will be wiling to be a third or fourth guard.

I want Girard to stay. Speak for yourself.
He needs an Emily Engstler makeover if he wants to help this team next year. And revoke his Dunkin membership.

Girard is ACC caliber.

But he is a poor fit in the Syracuse 2-3 zone, especially as Buddy's partner. either one of them would be better with an uber athletic defensive wizard like kadary...the zone is better with 5 KR-type players...it requires them, basically.

Girards a minus defender bc of size/speed...and cannot drive the ball in the lane for the same reasons. But he has a lot of good aspects to his game too.

i look at it like this...

Imagine you are somehow dating your dream girl.

For the first year everything goes perfect...you are her only man. Both of you are happy and exceeding each others expectations.

Then all of a sudden she starts wanting an open relationship...she doesnt wanna end it with you just wants more. and her new guy seems to be taking up more and more of her time...

you guys still hang out and when you do it feels great...things go well...but she doesnt spend as much time with you as before and you know she isnt really "yours"...what do you do? how do you take it?

now imagine you are JG3...and your "girl" is your starting spot on the SU basketball team...

the human side of this has to be really tough for him. I know competition is brutal and not always fair etc...but he had to think he was locked in as a 4 year starter after his first year...this is tough...and I feel for him if he is taking it hard...

his play hasnt been as good this year...not sure if it is bc of covid (likely) or anything mental etc...but at the end of the day...i would keep him around but not as the starter (especially in the 2-3 zone - which isnt going anywhere...)...if he's willing to accept that awesome...but i would totally understand if he wanted to go somewhere and be "the man"

Hoping Girard can develop into a Gillon like sparkplug

Although I am quite low on Girard, its hard to imagine that the staff will able to bring in a transfer willing to be a backup who is significantly better than Girard. Or that the staff will be able to land a freshman who will be able to contribute more than junior year Girard.

I think I'm talking myself into Girard being a fairly adequate backup PG for next year. The question is whether he's willing to do that or would rather get more minutes against lower comp.

I like Joe as the backup. Not his fault the coach has mismanaged the guards terribly. Even his own kid he has found a way to get as little as possible out of IMO over his SU career.

Absolutely a fine player to play 10-20mpg off the bench. Sometimes more, sometimes less. That's exactly who I thought he would be.

I will say it again. I expected 0 mpg last year. I expected 10-15mpg this year. This was based on who was in front of him when he came in. Still only in year 2.

The minutes he has been thrust into, is warping people's thoughts on the player he is, and was supposed to be when he signed here.

Any chance Joe is fighting an injury? His drop off in performance is quite drastic. May be he is hurt but didn't want to say. Didn't they keep quite about Quincy's groins until after the season last year?

Why, as fans, do we constantly chase players off?

Goodine was not an ACC calibre guard yet everyone clamored for him to play.

Girard’s going on two years of double digit scoring and was almost on the ACC’s all freshman team. But we think he’s not acc calibre and better luck to ya in the Ivy’s?
Double digit scoring isn’t impressive with the amount of shooting he does. He’s not good.

I think we need to grab another guard for 2021, definitely.

That said, I don't want to run Joe off. He can be a valuable player here if used rotationally. Not sure if he wants to be a rotational player though. He's always been the focal point but that seems completely out the window at SU now.

I wouldn't hold it against him he if wanted to go to Sienna and put up 25 ppg, but I'd like to see him stick it out and play a role off the bench here. Experienced depth is important, and often a hallmark of good teams.

Joe Girard isn’t a bum.
We don’t want him to transfer.

Again the staff mismanaged the roster.
No way was Girard expected to be a 4 year starter.
Joe Girard saved JB’s winning streak last year.
If he didn’t step in we don’t have a second guard to grind thru last season.

The problem is JB doesn’t change and just does the same thing thinking Joe is going to continue developing as a starter and being thrown in.

Joe should be getting better each season. I swear once you get tenure from JB it’s just you get left in your spot.

We don’t play large rotations so once you get your spot you typically stay in it.

Joe is a role player when he doing well 25-30 minutes when he is doing poorly 15-20 minutes.

Our HC doesn’t play 4 guards nowadays so he just rotates players when they screw up or get tired.

I believe Joe is a good 3rd ACC guard as he can play SG and play a little PG.

We do a need a 4th guard but we didn’t recruit a HS kid and it’s hard to get a transfer to be a 4th guard.

Absolutely a fine player to play 10-20mpg off the bench. Sometimes more, sometimes less. That's exactly who I thought he would be.

I will say it again. I expected 0 mpg last year. I expected 10-15mpg this year. This was based on who was in front of him when he came in. Still only in year 2.

The minutes he has been thrust into, is warping people's thoughts on the player he is, and was supposed to be when he signed here.

Well, and much the same could be said (and likely has been) about Buddy.

He's another guy who was expected to be a solid complimentary/bench piece, but fate took a hand, and now he's the ALL THE MINUTES guy.

Joe could be a VERY valuable reserve player for us, as a 6th man coming in behind Kadary and/or Buddy.

I also thought Joe was the 4th (or 5th) guard in that rotation last year, heading into the season.
But between injuries and quality of play, he became the starter.

Much like Kadary should be the starter now - but I don't even mind that too much, just as long as:
Kadary gets in
Kadary gets the majority of the minutes (UNLESS Joe has gone to plaid shooting, then ride him)

I think this is the right way to think about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom