Welcome to the JMA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Welcome to the JMA

Companies are fine if fans call it the Dome in this situation. They more care about the marketing opportunities associated with it -- most reporters/media will refer to it properly in articles. Broadcasters know to do it the right way too. The association comes from the attention on renaming and all the times on TV they refer to JMA Wireless and explain why a local company took over the naming rights.

I think this is a unique situation in that the Carrier Dome was the "first" naming rights deal even if that's not what it was. So there will be more attention on the new name on broadcasts than what traditionally happens these days as stadiums flip names. I suspect JMA Wireless will get a lot more name recognition out of this, especially given their business caters to these types of arenas and venues.

And as a local company with a founder who is a big Syr. supporter, they also get the benefit of doing right by the school. Win win situation.

Syracuse plays at The Dome and the Bills play at The Ralph.

I know its a tight timeline for the wireless stuff so I will bite the bullet and they can start with the upperdeck west end.. Reality is they should probably do that anyway since that would make more of it ready for bball if 9-12 months is really the time frame..

It will be interesting to see how they phase it in.. Wireless wifi or wireless cell phone over lapping is very different tech.. Is this really a cell phone only solution or an all in one solution so that it works better for all the tech that might be used in the building.

I hope the plan is to support 3g/4g not just create a 5g world..
8yviHMVCxU9asKJ96HGHwE.jpg

As long as the announcers call it the JMA Wireless Dome 10 times per broadcast for football and basketball, they will be happy.

Has there been any mention of the $ per year? The articles indicated SU did not disclose. Any insider knowledge on the $s?

Getting me to call it anything other than the Carrier Dome will be like trying to get me to call it the Cuomo Bridge.
You probably refuse to call it the University of Syracuse. Have fun listening to games on your hi-fi.

Has there been any mention of the $ per year? The articles indicated SU did not disclose. Any insider knowledge on the $s?

It’s complicated but really strong for SU.

The infrastructure enhancements (not that’s it’s all “free”) will be felt at concerts/non-SU events. It will be leveraged as part of the academic/student life experience in a couple years. And the University will be getting a new seven-figure revenue stream it has never had before (note: the University, not the Athletic Department specifically, records the revenue.)

It’s complicated but really strong for SU.

The infrastructure enhancements (not that’s it’s all “free”) will be felt at concerts/non-SU events. It will be leveraged as part of the academic/student life experience in a couple years. And the University will be getting a new seven-figure revenue stream it has never had before (note: the University, not the Athletic Department specifically, records the revenue.)
Thank you. So there's combined value that has been agreed upon that includes both revenue( reasonable guess $2.5 to $5 mm maybe scaling/depending on the other concessions?) and incremental concessions on onetime costs and/or maintenance and perhaps downstream enhancements. Sounds like there was some creativity in framing "value ". Nice. Thanks again for sharing.

Someone needs to enlighten me. It’s great that we have a new naming rights deal, but I’m curious how many of us go to the Dome to spend that much time on our phones? Granted Ill check the board occasionally during a game but that’s usually because I’m losing interest on the field, getting blown out or whatever. So we can check social media and post twitter updates faster? I’m in the “don’t care, just win games” boat.

I realize that most of the under-35 crowd is on their phones all the time, so if it makes their experience more enjoyable so they come back… then great. If there is more to the wifi upgrade then explain why the non-phone worshipping demographic should pay attention. Please.

Last edited:
Someone needs to enlighten me. It’s great that we have a new naming rights deal, but how many of us go to the Dome to spend time on our phones? Granted Ill check the board occasionally during a game but that’s usually because I’m losing interest on the field, getting blown out or whatever. So we can check social media and post twitter updates faster? I’m in the “don’t care, just win games” boat.

I realize that most of the under-35 crowd is on their phones all the time, so if it makes their experience more enjoyable so they come back… then great. If there is more to the wifi upgrade then explain why the non-phone worshipping demographic should pay attention. Please.
Some thoughts here...

We already have electronic ticketing. This is something everyone (or almost everyone) needs to use their phones for. The vast improvement in Internet access should make that work a lot more seamlessly.

Some stadia provide the ability to order food and drinks from your phone. I think that will eventually be coming to the dome. Even if you could only do it for pick up, that could be a difference maker for hungry and thirsty fans.

I like to follow the scores of other games going on while I am at games. Especially during football season. How are the Mets doing? What about the other big ACC games going on? Other big games in the rest of the country? This is something I check on during timeouts. At least I try to check on. Internet access has been so bad it is almost impossible. Would love to watch highlights from the games I am interested in or even to watch part of a game from my seat. Especially before our game starts or at halftime.

Would love to be able to access a good stats package during football and basketball games. See how many yards Sean Tucker has. See how many yards the other team has rushing and how many sacks our defense has so far. That sort of stuff. The Cuse app has a nice stats package for football but Internet access is so bad it is unusable.

The Cuse app has quizzes I would like to participate in. Maybe some of the social stuff where they ask you to post pictures. My nieces really like that kind of stuff. Hard to do with crappy Internet access.

Sometimes I need to check my email, usually for work.

I have lots of friends and they send a lot of texts before and during games. I would like to participate, mostly during time outs. But I can't even get texts, especially if there are pictures, inside the dome. most of the time. That would be great if this finally got addressed.

If our game is televised, I would like to hear what the experts are saying about it before kickoff and at halftime. Also after the game. It would be great to be able to hear post game pressers while exiting the stadium.

Lots of places have 50-50 raffles. Most are done electronically. It might be nice to participate in these.

Maybe just send a few pictures from the stadium, a video or two.

Would love to be able to make and take phone calls for emergency situations. Would love to be able to sign into work and fix a problem from the dome like I can from home.

There is so much that is possible that we have been prevented from doing to date. The lack of access to the Internet has been my biggest issue with attending games at the dome for years and I am really excited it is finally going to get addressed. Even if I have to buy a 5G phone to take advantage.

Some thoughts here...

We already have electronic ticketing. This is something everyone (or almost everyone) needs to use their phones for. The vast improvement in Internet access should make that work a lot more seamlessly.

Some stadia provide the ability to order food and drinks from your phone. I think that will eventually be coming to the dome. Even if you could only do it for pick up, that could be a difference maker for hungry and thirsty fans.

I like to follow the scores of other games going on while I am at games. Especially during football season. How are the Mets doing? What about the other big ACC games going on? Other big games in the rest of the country? This is something I check on during timeouts. At least I try to check on. Internet access has been so bad it is almost impossible. Would love to watch highlights from the games I am interested in or even to watch part of a game from my seat. Especially before our game starts or at halftime.

Would love to be able to access a good stats package during football and basketball games. See how many yards Sean Tucker has. See how many yards the other team has rushing and how many sacks our defense has so far. That sort of stuff. The Cuse app has a nice stats package for football but Internet access is so bad it is unusable.

The Cuse app has quizzes I would like to participate in. Maybe some of the social stuff where they ask you to post pictures. My nieces really like that kind of stuff. Hard to do with crappy Internet access.

I have lots of friends and they send a lot of texts before and during games. I would like to participate, mostly during time outs. But I can't even get texts, especially if there are pictures, inside the dome. most of the time. That would be great if this finally got addressed.

If our game is televised, I would like to hear what the experts are saying about it before kickoff and at halftime. Also after the game. It would be great to be able to hear post game pressers while exiting the stadium.

Lots of places have 50-50 raffles. Most are done electronically. It might be nice to participate in these.

Would love to be able to make and take phone calls for emergency situations. Would love to be able to sign into work and fix a problem from the dome like I can from home.

There is so much that is possible that we have been prevented from doing to date. The lack of access to the Internet has been my biggest issue with attending games at the dome for years and I am really excited it is finally going to get addressed. Even if I have to buy a 5G phone to take advantage.
Excellent summary and all great stuff - that said count me among those that don't think all of this stuff will generate more fans going thru the door on more than a one off, especially if X number of years from now we see Vandy and Northwestern rather than Clemson and Miami.

Some thoughts here...

Well put, Tom. Technology is the leading edge of our society and the JMA era should help SU be competitive on several fronts. I don't care about a name. Carrier was a big deal in CNY and the Carrier Dome was important to SU's brand. JMA is making a big statement and commitment that will benefit SU, CNY, and many of us individually. Good stuff...

Curious how 5G networks help you “win more games”
I suppose with the new events space - and hopefully another will eventually be added for the basketball side - the 5G… the improved food selection… they’re just a couple DJs short of making it a cool place for students and the under-40 demographic to hang out. You’d need a ticket to get in the building… so that can drive up sales… but without a winning product people will just hang out in these social gathering spaces. I guess let’s just get ‘em in the building and figure out the rest as we go.

Curious how 5G networks help you “win more games”
Haha! Was just about to post about this. Intersting article on Syracuse.com.

The headline stated JMA will help Syracuse win games. I don't have a Syracuse.com subscription so I can't read the article. But the headline got my attention. I'm wondering exactly what kind of tech they are going to implement that will assist in this regard

Someone needs to enlighten me. It’s great that we have a new naming rights deal, but I’m curious how many of us go to the Dome to spend that much time on our phones? ...

More than there used to be, since phones are a requirement now.

Seems weird to me. At no point during the 1992 Miami game was I thinking "if only I could take my mind off the field and be distracted by a screen in my hand."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom