Welcome to the JMA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Welcome to the JMA

More than there used to be, since phones are a requirement now.

Seems weird to me. At no point during the 1992 Miami game was I thinking "if only I could take my mind off the field and be distracted by a screen in my hand."
True that. How many distractions does one person need now?

maybe the lack of internet has caused an issues for coaches looking for analytics in real time that we know nothing about.

could also be they could get out to this board to have the coaches here tell them what to call. maybe that explains all the late play call timeouts waiting for the pages to load?

This sort of cracks me up. Don't we go to the Dome to watch our team win a game? I've never once thought about the wifi. When people grip about this I think - get off your phone.

So I kinda get this, but I like to check other scores during commercial breaks and halftime (especially on my heavier degenerate gambling days). I sometimes text people who are watching on TV what they saw on a certain controversial play, or what the announcers might be saying.

Stuff I can live without, sure, and don't need super speed 5g to do it. But would be nice to be able to get a signal.

So I kinda get this, but I like to check other scores during commercial breaks and halftime (especially on my heavier degenerate gambling days). I sometimes text people who are watching on TV what they saw on a certain controversial play, or what the announcers might be saying.

Stuff I can live without, sure, and don't need super speed 5g to do it. But would be nice to be able to get a signal.
Agree. I don't use it while the game is going on but there is a lot of dead time during football games.

The commercials are way too long. Halftime is way too long.

And like Chip, when I see what appeared to be a bad call from my seat, I want to know from my friends watching at home if it was legit or not. Don't know why. It really doesn't matter. But yet, it does.

I get it. We use phones too much. I first knew our country was in deep trouble and that technology was going to slowly destroy us back in New Orleans when we won the national championship in hoops in 2003.

As soon as the game was over, I wanted to hug and high five everyone around me. I looked all over for people to celebrate with.

But they were all on their phones, filming the aftermath. Even Rony Seikaly.

It was my Jim Valvano moment. Except I didn't have anything to do with the win.

I do to and I've never had an issue. I wonder sometimes if people are streaming other games or netflix. But really, if I've ever had a problem with ESPN scores loading I probably move on. I can usually survive the TV timeout.

Do you ever watch a game at home with the sound turned off?

You can "see the game", but you can't really "get the game". If a player isn't playing, is he injured, is he in the doghouse, or is it matchup related? Good thing there are TV/radio announcers to fill in all the details.

You don't get that when you're watching a game live. That's what Twitter is for.

This sort of cracks me up. Don't we go to the Dome to watch our team win a game? I've never once thought about the wifi. When people grip about this I think - get off your phone.
i go to bet and follow the game and i care whats happen ing in other games as well that affect our team in the long run. but i look at stats to check on injuries, watch replays

Someone needs to enlighten me. It’s great that we have a new naming rights deal, but I’m curious how many of us go to the Dome to spend that much time on our phones? Granted Ill check the board occasionally during a game but that’s usually because I’m losing interest on the field, getting blown out or whatever. So we can check social media and post twitter updates faster? I’m in the “don’t care, just win games” boat.

I realize that most of the under-35 crowd is on their phones all the time, so if it makes their experience more enjoyable so they come back… then great. If there is more to the wifi upgrade then explain why the non-phone worshipping demographic should pay attention. Please.
The bold is everything.

SU is competing with all forms of entertainment in winning over people to come to the game.

A great mobile experience is mandated.

In my section / down closer to the field I can’t even send texts once it gets closer to game time and people fill in. Zero service for Verizon. Have to go up to the concourse if I need to send a message to my wife etc. it’s embarrassingly bad. The built In Guest wifi has never helped either. 5g will be great but the bar is really low for me right now.

Checking the board would be a luxury.

This. But the TV announcers will have to initially use the full name.
All the graphics too will have JMA and the game stories will say the game was played in the JMA Dome. JMA will certainly get its money worth

The bold is everything.

SU is competing with all forms of entertainment in winning over people to come to the game.

A great mobile experience is mandated.
With live sports betting becoming a pretty big thing I think this upgrade will be awesome. I know we can't bet on SU teams as long as your GPS says you're in NY, but I routinely have bets on other games throughout the country that I like to check in on.

With live sports betting becoming a pretty big thing I think this upgrade will be awesome. I know we can't bet on SU teams as long as your GPS says you're in NY, but I routinely have bets on other games throughout the country that I like to check in on.
Good point. Based on what many of my friends are up to, the degenerate gambler market is huge and we need to capture it if we are going to sell out every game in future years.

Good point. Based on what many of my friends are up to, the degenerate gambler market is huge and we need to capture it if we are going to sell out every game in future years.
Yes , 100% agree , my son is Senior to be at Bing U. His friends care most about there Fan Duel/ Draft Kings more then aligning with a team. Kind of sad to me. (Old school outdated fan )

Yes , 100% agree , my son is Senior to be at Bing U. His friends care most about there Fan Duel/ Draft Kings more then aligning with a team. Kind of sad to me. (Old school outdated fan )
If more people were satisfied to watch sports for the sake of watching sports, the world would be a much better place

It's hard not to be excited about the SU-JMA/5G connection. Even for a dye-hard paper ticket guy, the digital world is expanding. I've found myself pestering my wife more and more to look up things on her phone - player bios and stats, game scores, texts from family or other friends at the Dome. And she's not afraid to order food online - which turns out to be more efficient than waiting while it's prepared. There is no doubt that 5G - and the technical expertise of JMA - will improve data analytics not just in SU sports but across the academic landscape, benefitting faculty and students alike. Big win for SU.

Last edited:
Some thoughts here...

We already have electronic ticketing. This is something everyone (or almost everyone) needs to use their phones for. The vast improvement in Internet access should make that work a lot more seamlessly.

Some stadia provide the ability to order food and drinks from your phone. I think that will eventually be coming to the dome. Even if you could only do it for pick up, that could be a difference maker for hungry and thirsty fans.

I like to follow the scores of other games going on while I am at games. Especially during football season. How are the Mets doing? What about the other big ACC games going on? Other big games in the rest of the country? This is something I check on during timeouts. At least I try to check on. Internet access has been so bad it is almost impossible. Would love to watch highlights from the games I am interested in or even to watch part of a game from my seat. Especially before our game starts or at halftime.

Would love to be able to access a good stats package during football and basketball games. See how many yards Sean Tucker has. See how many yards the other team has rushing and how many sacks our defense has so far. That sort of stuff. The Cuse app has a nice stats package for football but Internet access is so bad it is unusable.

The Cuse app has quizzes I would like to participate in. Maybe some of the social stuff where they ask you to post pictures. My nieces really like that kind of stuff. Hard to do with crappy Internet access.

Sometimes I need to check my email, usually for work.

I have lots of friends and they send a lot of texts before and during games. I would like to participate, mostly during time outs. But I can't even get texts, especially if there are pictures, inside the dome. most of the time. That would be great if this finally got addressed.

If our game is televised, I would like to hear what the experts are saying about it before kickoff and at halftime. Also after the game. It would be great to be able to hear post game pressers while exiting the stadium.

Lots of places have 50-50 raffles. Most are done electronically. It might be nice to participate in these.

Maybe just send a few pictures from the stadium, a video or two.

Would love to be able to make and take phone calls for emergency situations. Would love to be able to sign into work and fix a problem from the dome like I can from home.

There is so much that is possible that we have been prevented from doing to date. The lack of access to the Internet has been my biggest issue with attending games at the dome for years and I am really excited it is finally going to get addressed. Even if I have to buy a 5G phone to take advantage.
Only thing I’ll add is that a lot of the stuff we check on our phones during timeouts… things like out of town scores… could and should be displayed on the video boards.

Only thing I’ll add is that a lot of the stuff we check on our phones during timeouts… things like out of town scores… could and should be displayed on the video boards.
given up on that every happening.. its too easy a thing to fix.. but hey we still get the stat on total punting yards which is always useful.

Agreed, for the most part but I’ll check my phone during the endless TV timeouts where nothing is happening. I haven’t had a problem with my phone working in the Dome in a solid 10 years, so I don’t really know what people are talking about in that regard. I don’t even bother with the wifi, Verizon works fine in there.

Narcissist generation.

Some thoughts here...

We already have electronic ticketing. This is something everyone (or almost everyone) needs to use their phones for. The vast improvement in Internet access should make that work a lot more seamlessly.

Some stadia provide the ability to order food and drinks from your phone. I think that will eventually be coming to the dome. Even if you could only do it for pick up, that could be a difference maker for hungry and thirsty fans.

I like to follow the scores of other games going on while I am at games. Especially during football season. How are the Mets doing? What about the other big ACC games going on? Other big games in the rest of the country? This is something I check on during timeouts. At least I try to check on. Internet access has been so bad it is almost impossible. Would love to watch highlights from the games I am interested in or even to watch part of a game from my seat. Especially before our game starts or at halftime.

Would love to be able to access a good stats package during football and basketball games. See how many yards Sean Tucker has. See how many yards the other team has rushing and how many sacks our defense has so far. That sort of stuff. The Cuse app has a nice stats package for football but Internet access is so bad it is unusable.

The Cuse app has quizzes I would like to participate in. Maybe some of the social stuff where they ask you to post pictures. My nieces really like that kind of stuff. Hard to do with crappy Internet access.

Sometimes I need to check my email, usually for work.

I have lots of friends and they send a lot of texts before and during games. I would like to participate, mostly during time outs. But I can't even get texts, especially if there are pictures, inside the dome. most of the time. That would be great if this finally got addressed.

If our game is televised, I would like to hear what the experts are saying about it before kickoff and at halftime. Also after the game. It would be great to be able to hear post game pressers while exiting the stadium.

Lots of places have 50-50 raffles. Most are done electronically. It might be nice to participate in these.

Maybe just send a few pictures from the stadium, a video or two.

Would love to be able to make and take phone calls for emergency situations. Would love to be able to sign into work and fix a problem from the dome like I can from home.

There is so much that is possible that we have been prevented from doing to date. The lack of access to the Internet has been my biggest issue with attending games at the dome for years and I am really excited it is finally going to get addressed. Even if I have to buy a 5G phone to take advantage.
Many students and people of all ages cant go 4 hours without being connected.
This is huge. I seriously cant think of a better sponsor than JMA.
JW hit a home run

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom