Well respected musicians that you think "suck" | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Well respected musicians that you think "suck"

A career spanning six decades, 18 studio albums, 29 top 40 singles including 6 number 1 hits is hardly inconsequential. The vanguard of Philly soul and r&b.

I like them far more now than I ever did when they were 'popular'. And I really enjoyed the TV show Darryl did recently.

Lots of bands / acts seem to get crapped on for being around too long.

I never got the Dead or Buffett. Bands like Phish are a little too cultish for me to qualify for this category.

U2 has been around forever, hard to be an earnest rocker worth a half a billion dollars in your late 50s.

Buffet's early albums, A White Sport Coat And A Pink Crustacean, and Living and Dying in 3/4 Time were easily his best work, and ironically his least well known. He went commercial after that, but a musician's gotta eat, too. A lot of his success came from party tunes which were fun to both drink and sing along with: Cheeseburger in Paradise, Livingston Saturday Night ("... Fifteen'll get you twenty" :D ) and Volcano.
upload_2017-11-17_9-2-23.gif

Two things about the Stones. They were the first punks (along with the Kinks), who played with some edge, compared to the Beach Boys, Beatles and saccharine acts like Bobby Goldsboro. Second, I found them primarily a stage band. After the demise of Brian Jones who, although brilliant he led them all over the map, they finally took ownership of their own direction with Sticky Fingers. That said, I always stop and listen to Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy.
I can't bust on the Stones. Did they keep it going too long? Sure. But wouldn't you cash in, too? They are hall of famers for a reason.

A career spanning six decades, 18 studio albums, 29 top 40 singles including 6 number 1 hits is hardly inconsequential. The vanguard of Philly soul and r&b.
I had no clue. I didn't like em too much, til I had a roommate that kept playing very early stuff. Then I couldn't get em out of my head. Go figure .

I can't bust on the Stones. Did they keep it going too long? Sure. But wouldn't you cash in, too? They are hall of famers for a reason.

I bought a trem pedal so I could play Gimme Shelter, but after I got it done I found myself thinking it's cool, but since I don't gig, what am I gonna do with it? So I'm putting the pedal on Kijiji.

I hope I never get in a fight over a band as truly inconsequential as H&O. Listening to them was like drinking warm beer: yeah, there's something there, but there's more that's missing. But, I never forgot Sly Stone's "different strokes for different folks" so carry on. :)
This threads my first experience with being “triggered” allow me a few moments to regain my composure.

This threads my first experience with being “triggered” allow me a few moments to regain my composure.

No worries. If you like it, play it. There's something out there for everybody. Hell, I grew up listening to Paul Revere and the Raiders. :D

Two things about the Stones. They were the first punks (along with the Kinks), who played with some edge, compared to the Beach Boys, Beatles and saccharine acts like Bobby Goldsboro. Second, I found them primarily a stage band. After the demise of Brian Jones who, although brilliant he led them all over the map, they finally took ownership of their own direction with Sticky Fingers. That said, I always stop and listen to Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter and Sympathy.
Gimme Shelter with Merry Clayton was awesome. The rest of the Stones' catalog was good to very good.

I bought a trem pedal so I could play Gimme Shelter, but after I got it done I found myself thinking it's cool, but since I don't gig, what am I gonna do with it? So I'm putting the pedal on Kijiji.
If you didn't play it with only 5 strings on, yer doing it wrong. :).
For those that don't know. Richards kept breaking 1 string. So he just said, "screw that one", and became a 5 string slinger.

If you didn't play it with only 5 strings on, yer doing it wrong. :).
For those that don't know. Richards kept breaking 1 string. So he just said, "screw that one", and became a 5 string slinger.

Not even Stevie Ray could break an .046. :) It's my understanding he took the low E string off because it didn't fit well with all the stuff he played in his preferred open G tuning, thus : X G D G B D. That chimey open G is the signature sound of Brown Sugar, which is so easy to play in that tuning vs standard.

John Mayer

By all accounts, a world class dbag and womanizer. Don't think he's a rascist, but rascist comments have been attributed to him.

His sticky sweet ballads have the ladies dreamy eyed, but so not for me.

Switching channels one day, I saw him playing some blues with buddy guy. My mouth hit the floor. He's an incredible guitarist. Fantastic. It's like he's designed his career to be the perfect date movie.(ex. Love story involving sports). He'll rip one out for the guys, and follow with a sticky sweet, that have the gents running for the doors. I like the former, and throw up in my mouth a little, on the latter.

Back to Clapton. The end instrumental section of Layla is so repetitive it’s nauseating.

Never understood the Doors either. Boring! Good cure for insomnia.

I like both of the two very different parts of Layla, but I still don't see how they fit together. When I listen to the second part, I try to hear Clapton's acoustic work played against Allman's slide. Anyway, there's a story about how Gordon stole the piano part from someone else.

I'm thinking most Doors stuff wasn't meant to be listened to while straight.

Back to Clapton. The end instrumental section of Layla is so repetitive it’s nauseating.

Never understood the Doors either. Boring! Good cure for insomnia.
Once again, attributing Clapton with something he had no part in. Gordon wrote the piano coda/outro. (Or more correctly, cowtown, stole it from an ex girlfriend) Allman played the bulk of those guitars.

Once again, attributing Clapton with something he had no part in. Gordon wrote the piano coda/outro. (Or more correctly, cowtown, stole it from an ex girlfriend) Allman played the bulk of those guitars.
I don’t care who wrote what, I was just speaking of that section of song. Tell it’s Black Sabbath I’ll still hate it.

John Mayer

By all accounts, a world class dbag and womanizer. Don't think he's a rascist, but rascist comments have been attributed to him.

His sticky sweet ballads have the ladies dreamy eyed, but so not for me.

Switching channels one day, I saw him playing some blues with buddy guy. My mouth hit the floor. He's an incredible guitarist. Fantastic. It's like he's designed his career to be the perfect date movie.(ex. Love story involving sports). He'll rip one out for the guys, and follow with a sticky sweet, that have the gents running for the doors. I like the former, and throw up in my mouth a little, on the latter.

He did a Playboy interview years ago where he said a number of things about race that were pretty dumb, including this gem about dating black women:

"I don’t think I open myself to it. My dick is sort of like a white supremacist. I’ve got a Benetton heart and a in’ David Duke c-o-c-k. I’m going to start dating separately from my dick."

People mostly know him from the "My Body is a Wonderland" era but his other stuff is much more blues/rock and very good. Continuum is an excellent album. Very underrated guitar player. He's touring with the Dead right now so there's that.

Last edited:
He did a Playboy interview years ago where he said a number of things about race that were pretty dumb, including this gem about dating black women:

"I don’t think I open myself to it. My dick is sort of like a white supremacist. I’ve got a Benetton heart and a in’ David Duke c-o-c-k. I’m going to start dating separately from my dick."

People mostly know him from the "My Body is a Wonderland" era but his other stuff is much more blues/rock and very good. Gravity is an excellent album. Very underrated guitar player. He's touring with the Dead right now so there's that.
That's pretty dumb. I'm guessing his intent was that he loves everyone, but he really loves b@nging white women. Or something equally dumb. His choice of words were horrible.

He can play. The pretty songs he used to get white women to sleep with him? Seem like a stunning, personal success for him, but not being a white woman? Quite the opposite affect on me.

That's pretty dumb. I'm guessing his intent was that he loves everyone, but he really loves b@nging white women. Or something equally dumb. His choice of words were horrible.

He can play. The pretty songs he used to get white women to sleep with him? Seem like a stunning, personal success for him, but not being a white woman? Quite the opposite affect on me.

I thought the comment was hilarious from a "how does that work exactly?" point of view. Is there a tiny moustache involved or maybe a minature Confederate uniform? He's yelling "charge!" but his dick is in retreat going "but it's dark in there." I don't know, man, I mostly just heh'd at how dumb it was.

My cousin is a Dead fan from way back. If I had ever taken a trip to go see the Dead I would have went with him back in the day. He caught the recent Dead tour on the west coast that Mayer is playing on; Jerry's Ashes or whatever they're billed as. I last talked to him after the Clemson game and he was raving about John Mayer. "Dude, I have a new respect for John Mayer. I didn't know he could play like that." Yeah, 'cause you haven't been listening.

I got free lawn seats for a show years ago that was Susan Tedeschi with Derrick Trucks, Buddy Guy and B.B. King. Fantastic show.

R.E.M

To be fair, they should probably just be in the, " should have hung it up earlier" category.

Pros:
Instrumental college/alt band that is still held in high regard, by those that like the genre.
Completely swam against the tide, in the 80's to achieve success.
One of the best selling acts of all time.
*Not hating, here. I still think Murmur is a great album.

Cons:
As their popularity grew, Stipe became became increasingly whiney, political, deep and heavy handed. While they stayed true to themselves early on,(pre-warner brothers), they seemed to increasingly loose themselves, adopting the current trends(Monster), and much of the spark that brought them there, seemed to fade.
Shiny happy people, was not so good. Everybody hurts? The breaking point. I just wanted to give him a tissue, and tell him to shut up , already. Couldn't listen anymore, after that.

Not even Stevie Ray could break an .046. :) It's my understanding he took the low E string off because it didn't fit well with all the stuff he played in his preferred open G tuning, thus : X G D G B D. That chimey open G is the signature sound of Brown Sugar, which is so easy to play in that tuning vs standard.
My bad... I just figured he was so wasted, he said I'd to hell with the ones that break... I have 1 I keep open G, with that fat old D string still in tact.

This is twice now you've lost the plot of this thread. You've yet to post a band you don't like that are well respected but you've come at people twice for abiding by the thread title. Watch how this works:

Cowtown is right. Early U2 was pretty good but now they suck. Bono is a pretentious dickbag who thinks his band exists as a backdrop for his politics and inflated ego. The Edge barely even plays a guitar anymore, he just picks a few notes and then manipulates it digitally into something that might resemble a melody. It's lazy as hell. Jimmy Page and Jack White made him look like a rank beginner in that documentary they did together. The Edge didn't even know how to play Kashmir, for crying out loud. Nobody cares about the other two guys in the band.

Wilco sucks and Uncle Tupelo probably touches kids in the toolshed.

There's a dude in U2 that refers to himself as "The Edge"?! I didn't think I could hate U2 any more because of the Bono reasons pointed out by many of you folks, but that did it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom