we're baaack! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

we're baaack!

I don't get what's difficult to get here. We had a nice season overall, but we lose SIGNIFICANT pieces, and could very easily fall back to 4 or 5 wins if we have no one who can step in and play decently in those key positions next year.
The only losses that concern me are at QB and potentially LT. Otherwise, I think we reload with younger players with, potentially, more talent than those that graduated.

Are you kidding me? Until we show we have people who can step up in those positions we have no clue whether or not we will be back to a four win season next year or not. We have no idea about our depth at those positions, and last I checked depth is important in terms of the state of a program.

21-17 the last three years with two bowl wins.

This year is not a fluke. There is depth that hasn't been seen on this team since the '90s. OL is the single biggest issue next year. The issue elsewhere on offense isn't finding guys who can play, it's who is going to win the job, because there are a lot of guys as talented, or better, than the ones leaving or there already.

The only losses that concern me are at QB and potentially LT. Otherwise, I think we reload with younger players with, potentially, more talent than those that graduated.
I agree with this. But I think unless one of our entirely unproven QBs surprises people will be amazed at how much we will miss Ryan. We went 8-5 two years ago and fell back to 5 wins and that was with a relatively experienced QB.

21-17 the last three years with two bowl wins.

This year is not a fluke. There is depth that hasn't been seen on this team since the '90s. OL is the single biggest issue next year. The issue elsewhere on offense isn't finding guys who can play, it's who is going to win the job, because there are a lot of guys as talented, or better, than the ones leaving or there already.
When it comes to QB I will believe it when I see it. We have a lot of guys with potential but zero proven commodities.

I agree with this. But I think unless one of our entirely unproven QBs surprises people will be amazed at how much we will miss Ryan. We went 8-5 two years ago and fell back to 5 wins and that was with a relatively experienced QB.
Gotcha...but I trust this staff. I'm really not worried about the offense.

After seeing the offensive changes made for this year in addition to making changes to the gameplan based on the opponent and during the game; I realize we should expect this but the reality is there are many coaches who won't/can't change. I'm a lot less worried about next year compared to the start of the season.

SU will be back when it can leverage these wins into recruiting wins - not the 5 stars dreams, but getting in consistently with solid 3 star guys from positions where SU should be stronger recruiting-wise based on the staff - e.g., OL and WR.

I was very skeptical this year, but I did say I thought we would be a 5-7 win team, so we beat my expectations.

I was very down on our running backs and am happy to eat crow about them.

I really think the coaches changing the offense two weeks before the season is a move, in hindsight, will be THE moment that we went from "getting there" to "turned the corner".

SU will be back when it can leverage these wins into recruiting wins - not the 5 stars dreams, but getting in consistently with solid 3 star guys from positions where SU should be stronger recruiting-wise based on the staff - e.g., OL and WR.

I guess I somewhat disagree with your point on recruiting at those positions.The Oline has become a strength of this team and there is a lot of young talent waiting in the wings. The Oline has Knapp, Emerich, Robinson, Palmer, Foy, etc all coming up. Of course it will be tough to replace Pugh, but replacing top 75 players is what good schools have to do. WR also has some good talent coming up. Can't wait to see Funder take over the go-to guy next year.

Nassib will hurt simply because the guy doesn't really force things or make mistakes. Seemed like nearly all of his INTs were because he was throwing bullets. I think this is the key to his NFL interest.

I guess I somewhat disagree with your point on recruiting at those positions.The Oline has become a strength of this team and there is a lot of young talent waiting in the wings. The Oline has Knapp, Emerich, Robinson, Palmer, Foy, etc all coming up. Of course it will be tough to replace Pugh, but replacing top 75 players is what good schools have to do. WR also has some good talent coming up. Can't wait to see Funder take over the go-to guy next year.

We do have some good young prospects waiting in the wings and and right now I think Adkins and Marrone have earned the benefit of the doubt with the line.

Pugh was a Big 33 game player but had no offers. These guys should get credit for his development. He's going to be a 1st day pick.

Chibane was a flip from South Florida but there are NJ coaches who said he couldn't play at this level. He ends his career very good and very dependable. Another staff stripe.

Hickey - offers from BC and Illinois. Might also be a pro. This was only his first year playing after 2 knee injuries.

Trudo - redshirt freshman is really coming into his own. Had solid offers (BC, Pitt, WVu, Cincy, Michigan, Iowa State) but not all were to play OL. He was wanted on defense as well.

McPherson - the boards favorite whipping boy has turned into one of the best centers Syracuse that I can remember. Staff stripe here.

As for some of the youngsters. Emerich is another Big 33 player. Offers from Pitt, Uconn, Central Florida and some others.

Kyle Knapp out of Michigan. Not many people know this but Knapp was the offensive line MVP at the Ohio State NIKE camp. Not bad. Mean nasty kid from what I understand.

We have talent coming back, some depth (Phillips, Robinson, Foy) and some kids ready to play (Emerich, Knapp, Palmer) and we'll be bringing in 2 or 3 JUCO's to supplement and push for PT. The line will be ready to go.

We do have some good young prospects waiting in the wings and and right now I think Adkins and Marrone have earned the benefit of the doubt with the line.

Pugh was a Big 33 game player but had no offers. These guys should get credit for his development. He's going to be a 1st day pick.

Chibane was a flip from South Florida but there are NJ coaches who said he couldn't play at this level. He ends his career very good and very dependable. Another staff stripe.

Hickey - offers from BC and Illinois. Might also be a pro. This was only his first year playing after 2 knee injuries.

Trudo - redshirt freshman is really coming into his own. Had solid offers (BC, Pitt, WVu, Cincy, Michigan, Iowa State) but not all were to play OL. He was wanted on defense as well.

McPherson - the boards favorite whipping boy has turned into one of the best centers Syracuse that I can remember. Staff stripe here.

As for some of the youngsters. Emerich is another Big 33 player. Offers from Pitt, Uconn, Central Florida and some others.

Kyle Knapp out of Michigan. Not many people know this but Knapp was the offensive line MVP at the Ohio State NIKE camp. Not bad. Mean nasty kid from what I understand.

We have talent coming back, some depth (Phillips, Robinson, Foy) and some kids ready to play (Emerich, Knapp, Palmer) and we'll be bringing in 2 or 3 JUCO's to supplement and push for PT. The line will be ready to go.

We've done very well recruiting the trenches over the past 4 years comparative to the GROB years and I think this is the biggest recruiting difference, along with Marrone's highest regarded recruits actually qualifying and staying in school. Our D-Line and O-Line are night and day compared to that period. Marrone's 4 star recruits have been Spruill, Broyld, Ron Thompson, and Wayne Morgan, and so far so good with them. GROB had some 4 stars at the top of his classes, for every one that turned into a contributor or difference maker, there was another that was an academic casualty, injury casualty, or just plain flamed out.

I really feel like we're going to turn a major corner in recruiting in the near future, and that makes me even more confident because this staff has shown the ability to turn over every rock out there to find someone who is capable of contributing. That's a nice thing to have once we are a consistent player with the more highly regarded recruits in our recruiting regional areas. It gives us the ability to shoot for the big fish without being overly anxious about fall back plans or Plan "B" type recruits. Based on what I've seen so far with Marrone's staffs, their Plan "B" type recruits may be the best Plan "B" recruits in America.

Don't underestimate the effect of this Bowl Game to convince a few stars to turn ORANGE. This program is now a SOLID bet, with a great brand name.

Give it a year or two, & Syracuse will be one of the premier football schools in the ACC, as well as the KING of the Northeast.

@RomeSmith45: So , WV scored 70 last bowl on a acc team this time scored well under that ... Do you think we're acc ready ??? I do

Don't underestimate the effect of this Bowl Game to convince a few stars to turn ORANGE. This program is now a SOLID bet, with a great brand name.

Give it a year or two, & Syracuse will be one of the premier football schools in the ACC, as well as the KING of the Northeast.
ridiculous. I'm a fan of this team too but that's silly.

ridiculous. I'm a fan of this team too but that's silly.

He's more correct than others on this board that have said Marrone & Co. are dummies that should stick to boloney-sandwich making.

I truly believe that this team can win a majority of its games moving forward. And I don't think we need a Donovan McNabb-level QB to compete at the highest level either.

Nassib will hurt simply because the guy doesn't really force things or make mistakes. Seemed like nearly all of his INTs were because he was throwing bullets. I think this is the key to his NFL interest.

Nassib could have VERY easily had 3 INTs today, including a pick-6 that could have brought WVU back in the game at the start of the 4th quarter.

He is replaceable. Without question, he is replaceable. And those on this board that think he is the second coming will find out others are also capable, despite not understanding 100.0% of the playbook. 85% is just as good if the skill set includes improvisational plays (Broyld, Hunt).

Not saying those last two guys I mentioned are ever going to be the starting QB at Syracuse University, but I think they'd bring a different dimension that Nassib didn't bring. And that more than makes up for the lack of playbook understanding.

Absolutely the corner has been turned. This is a tough well coached football team.
There were multiple games this season where, due to a total team effort, we punched the other team in the gut, the jaw, and then took their heart! WVU, UCONN, L'ville, and more to some extent. This makes me think We are Back!

I enjoy winning 6 of 7 to end the year but we'll see what happens next year without Nassib, Lemon, Sales, and probably Pugh before I'll make any judgment on our "backness."

(They call me Captain Buzzkill)
I definately say were back!! Them guys leavin r very good players but we also have alot of very good young talent the last couple years and that will continue so beware ACC LOL

All I know is that even if Pugh leaves we should have a solid offensive line to go with a ridiculous stable of running backs. Throw in some big targets to throw to (Wales, Thompson, Funderburk, West) and our new QB has some nice weaponry surrounding him. If we get Laray Smith, throw him in the mix along with Broyld as insanely talented guys we have to figure out how to use.

King Otto is a windbag when it comes to stating his football acumen. Everyone understands I am a complete jackass at times and I agree with them but he states all opinions as fact as if he is John Gruden or Ron jaws studying hours of Syracuse game film... It's absurd. Again, I doubt he has ever played the sport or any sport at a high level. I am a fan not a scholar of the game like king

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom