What do we do with Dino? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What do we do with Dino?

Not my personal favorite choice but Marrone also is a possibility and has been VERY active recently with Cuse and Cuse athletics.
I miss the days when Marrone would coach circles around most of the college coaches he faced, including Schiano. No, he did not build a deep roster of great players at SU, but he got the most out the players he had, and actually had guys go to the NFL. His coaching staff was solid after the first couple years of sorting out. The players made mistakes, but the coaching decisions and clock management were very good.

I'm pretty sure his wife would never want to come back here, but the Ath Dept can put together a much better recruiting dept than what they had when Marrone was here.

I haven’t read this whole thread. At DFW half way home. Here is my take. We need to look at our training staff. I know many think the turf is an issue but we seem to be more injury prone than other teams playing on our field. I question how prepared they are physically. I know we don’t get the steroid pumped up players of some of the big boy teams but we still need to address this, new coach or not. It is definitely part of an equation. Also, as previously discussed, we need to hit the transfer portal and JC players who are bigger, stronger and more game prepared than kids out of HS. I’d look at size first, then talent. We need some bruisers.

A question for the mike waters of the boards: Would we be the first team to go 6-0 and then 0-6?

The Dome renovation is one year old.

The present coaching staff is one to two years old.

We are still light years behind other programs.

The number of season ending injuries this team has sustained this year is unprecedented.

We are playing with an undersized, walk on nose tackle.

Tonight’s team is not the team that beat Purdue.

We will go bowling this year.

We will continue to improve.

“Get a new head coach” thinking is oversimplified analysis
Darton is the best part of our D line.

Well, its a bit crazy that the offense can absolutely implode with about 1 injury. The defense has guys that can step up and keep the unit looking like it belongs on a P5 field. We have no one on the OL that can step in and provide competent play and prevent the unit from absolutely collapsing? I didn’t even take any injuries for the WR unit to completely disappear.

I know Dino will be here next year, and given the new offensive staff I’m OK with it, acknowledging that he does not deserve it by the standards of his profession. It’s not good that you need 7-8 years for your HC to find the right combo of assistants to win. That brings up the “what exactly would you say you do here” question.

If Anae and Dino aren’t working, I wonder if you push Anae out and give beck a try? Frankly, I know nothing about Beck other than his wife is active on Twitter so everyone likes them. Do we need to look at our formerly revered OL coach? Is there an integration issue there? Maybe Anae/Beck just need another year to transition to what they want to do and churn the roster to suit their needs.

It sounds like Tony White is a rising star. If he’s going to get a HC gig, its not going to be a P5 job, but I think if we flounder again next year, you might give him a try. Not as a “continuity” hire, but as a legit promotion of a rising star.

I think Anae is out forced out or on his own and beck will be promoted. We will likely have to give white additional money based off the performance of his unit with all the injuries.
That's the correct take. No offense but your one of those Dino diehards that would bring him back if the team went 1-11 next year. Its year 7, the program needs an overhaul.

I like Dino, I want him to be more successful than anything but it’s killer to sit through games like last night and that’s been happening every October and November for YEARS

It’s an issue and it’s fireable. I can’t just go to my job and work for 1/2 the year and then send it in for the 2nd half and not produce. I would be fired…
Its really a gray decision as Dino would have done what everybody suggested was a requirement to keep for next year at the start of the season. We really need to look at why this happens every November and change something. The injury excuses are no longer allowed as they have had plenty of time to recruit enough depth of players to play and the portal is still an option and we messed up not using it more. Was it the numbers from the extra covid year limiting are options or us not wanting to use the portal?

dino has adopted the boeheim attitude. "the regular season doesn't matter". it's all about how you perform in your bowl game ! just save all the money you spend on season tickets for hotel and airfare post season.

(seriously i don't care if we retain dino. other dude has to go.)

I haven’t read this whole thread. At DFW half way home. Here is my take. We need to look at our training staff. I know many think the turf is an issue but we seem to be more injury prone than other teams playing on our field. I question how prepared they are physically. I know we don’t get the steroid pumped up players of some of the big boy teams but we still need to address this, new coach or not. It is definitely part of an equation. Also, as previously discussed, we need to hit the transfer portal and JC players who are bigger, stronger and more game prepared than kids out of HS. I’d look at size first, then talent. We need some bruisers.
Absolutely. Good post. I agree

It's a question that is often given by those in an abusive relationship.

I wanted to say that and erased it thinking it might be too strong for some people. But yes

It’s not that we lost 4 games…it’s that for 3 out of the 4 we looked like we weren’t even competitive

To not call that timeout to give your team a chance to get a td is a slap in the face to every player on that team.

It’s a huge disrespect to the seniors who gave it their all for the last few years for that coach.

He’s lost the team and there is NO doubt about that.

A change needs to happen

I think we're stuck with him one more year due to the buyout that must not be named...

But the way we are playing (not even remotely competitive), we will indeed go 0-6 to close the season.

For Dino, taking a checked-out, lost lockeroom to a tier 3 bowl is the definition of lost opportunity, and a big waste of time, if we're honest.

But hope springs eternal. Maybe the lightning will get back in the bottle...

This isn't about Dino but more so HCs in general. IMO when a HC has 2 years left on their contract you need to either extend them or fire them. You cannot let recruiting die off for a lame duck HC. You either make a longer commitment or move on. Firing a HC with more than 2 years left on their contract should only be in extreme circumstances, even at a football factory. What is going on lately is crazy.

So how many years does Dino have left? If it is 2 or less, these next 2 games should determine his fate. If it is 3 or more then he has done enough to return next season.

It is funny a week ago I said if we go 7-5 he would be on the hot seat for NEXT season. Today we have people wanting to fire him THIS season and we still have 2 games left.

i saw on twitter we would be the 3rd p5 school to do such thing though we could still beat bc as they cant run which is our kryptonite on defense
I can see the SU BC game going into OT at 0-0.

Again I'll ask who do we go get?

A tire iron.
A 5 Gallon bucket of spackle
A sword scabbard.

It wasn't just Allen that was denied the opportunity to score. 3 linemen playing their last game at the dome. Gave everything they were capable of, for years. Is letting them.go for 1 last touchdown too much to ask? Apparently, it is.

If the staff isnt going to care? Why should we?

A tire iron.
A 5lbs bucket of spackle
A sword scabbard.

It wasn't just Allen that was denied the opportunity to score. 3 linemen playing their last game at the dome. Gave everything they were capable of, for years. Is letting them.go for 1 last touchdown too much to ask? Apparently, it is.

If the staff isnt going to care? Why should we?
I’m simply asking a question. Not arguing to keep or defend him in anyway. I know shocking that I’m not arguing and trying to stir the pot on a message board ;)

I’m simply asking a question. Not arguing to keep or defend him in anyway. I know shocking that I’m not arguing and trying to stir the pot on a message board ;)
I hear you. As EMBARASSING as that game was? The non time out drove me over the edge. It meant something to the guys on the field.

And that's where it ended.

I miss the days when Marrone would coach circles around most of the college coaches he faced, including Schiano. No, he did not build a deep roster of great players at SU, but he got the most out the players he had, and actually had guys go to the NFL. His coaching staff was solid after the first couple years of sorting out. The players made mistakes, but the coaching decisions and clock management were very good.

I'm pretty sure his wife would never want to come back here, but the Ath Dept can put together a much better recruiting dept than what they had when Marrone was here.
Marrrone had a clunker season where he lost all games to end the season too.

Mora has Uconn at 6 wins. UCONN. They've won 6 games once since 2011. Lost 11, last year.

Coaching matters.

There aren't a lot of good options but neither is keeping Dino. Looking at the current HCs no one stands out.

As to candidates IMO we should consider Mike Houston, Curt Cignetti, Dan Mullen, Bill O'Brien. BOB might be a stretch but he also knows the pressure of being at a Bama or Pen State. Does he want that? If Joe Moorhead has a good season next year, I would consider him as well assuming Dino is back next season.

I would also interview Justin Outten. That would be a stretch but why not at least look into it? An SU guy. A Northeast guy. An OL guy. NFL level coaching experience. Kinda sounds like Marrone?

I think we make Dino sit in the corner and write “I will not interfere in the offense 1000” times on the blackboard. Then fire him
Note.jpg

My issue is there is a pattern of losing games every November and being totally uncompetitive. Yesterdays game was embarrassing. This is against a team we should have beat on the road last year and this year looks like the varsity playing against a modified team. We looked like little kids playing grown men. This is year seven. I won’t buy the lack of depth excuses anymore. Recruiting has been flat out disgusting with rankings in the 60’s. It really showed yesterday. Someone needs to give Babers some caffeine before the game. I want to see him just once show some emotion and get in the grill of a player after making the same mistakes over and over again. Letting the game end last night with no timeout is a total slap in the face to his players and to the fans who stayed to the bitter end. If this team loses the last two games, Dino should not be coaching a potential post season game. We have lost all the recruiting momentum we had gained. Now what? To wait until 3:02 left in the game to change your quarterback is arrogance at the highest level. I wanted so much for Dino to be successful, but I’m tired of the helpless feeling of watching games when November comes around. I hate to say it, but it’s now time to make a change.

The funding has been millions and millions more than any other coach.

JW has basically told Dino he has an open check book to hire his coordinators and he’s still struggling to win and now isn’t getting along with his hand picked OC

Bad look
Do you think Anae would stay if we promoted White? I really really like White too (not just because of the quantitative improvement in our D) and think this may be the surest way to his success

And do you think White has a guy who can run his D to the level he has?

I remember the biggest disappointment for me with FHCSS was the drop off in his defensive play.

I’m not saying this will happen, just wondering if you think he has a reasonable understudy that he could go to (internal or external)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom