What do we have coming back at LB next year? | Syracusefan.com

What do we have coming back at LB next year?

Shy and Armstrong are gonna be back. We have a lot of young guys developing that could pounce up (Fagan, Wallace, Richards), and who knows, maybe we can find another Cisco in this recruiting class at the linebacker position.

Shy, Armstrong, Juan Wallace are my picks to start.

Richards, Faegan and Trotter have some ground to gain i’d think.

Trae Allison’s fascinating to me, wish I’d have heard more about him.

Shy, Armstrong, Juan Wallace are my picks to start.

Richards, Faegan and Trotter have some ground to gain i’d think.

Trae Allison’s fascinating to me, wish I’d have heard more about him.
Richards was in the D-Line rotation yesterday. Curious to see where he ends up.

Cullen is my favorite to be the bell cow. Richards seems to be around the ball when in.

Just for fun as a bar let's use Ray Lewis playing HT and WGT at Miami 6' 0 3/8”, 230, 4.58 40. Born in Bartow FL., attended Lakeland FL. high school where he was an All American LB and star wrestler. Father was abusive so he did lots of push-ups to get stronger to protect his mother. In three years at Miami he was All Big East x 2 and All American x 3 with stats that are extraordinary. Drafted #26 in the first round by the Ravens in their inaugural season. Professional stats are too numerous to mention here.

Here are all the linebackers we have on deck ready to go next year. I think some could use more time in the weight room as well as gaining weight at the training table. Young group. Cullen has been used on special teams a lot. There are 12 with 3 commits for 2019:

12 Andrew Armstrong 6'2” 228 Jr.

15 Tim Walton 6'2” 232 R-So.

24 Shyheim Cullen 6' 224 R-Jr.

27 Nadarius Fagan 6'1” 213 So.

28 Tre Allison 6'2” 230 Fr.

30 Juan Wallace 6'2” 215 Fr.

33 Kadeem Trotter 6'2” 205 R-Fr.

39 Jake Wright 6'1” 195 Fr.

42 Tyrell Richards 6'4” 227 R Fr.

46 Lakiem Williams 6' 234 Jr.

49 Zach Lesko 6' 219 R - So.

53 Terrel Bennet 6'2” 215 Fr.

Commits so far:

Mike Jones 4* 6'2” 215
Lee Kpogba 4* 6'2” 210
Geoffrey Cantin Arku 3* 6'4” 215

Last edited:
How can we have that many LBs?
3 are walkons. Also linebackers make up the core of your coverage units on special teams, so they are necessary. I wouldn’t be shocked to see at least one or two leave.

I hope these 15 extra practices help this young bunch more than any other position. Solid base with Cullen and Armstrong and love to see some players challenge them for a job to push up the meter of talent.

3 are walkons. Also linebackers make up the core of your coverage units on special teams, so they are necessary. I wouldn’t be shocked to see at least one or two leave.
Trotter, Wallace & Fagan would make outstanding ACC safeties, just sayin'.

lakeim williams is just a bust? surprised to not see him mentioned nearly at all in this thread. There were some very high hopes for him coming into this year.

lakeim williams is just a bust? surprised to not see him mentioned nearly at all in this thread. There were some very high hopes for him coming into this year.
I think he was injured in camp and never really recovered. So, jury is still out.

Richards was in the D-Line rotation yesterday. Curious to see where he ends up.

I've been trying to watch Richards to understand his role and he does one of two things. Lines up inside, appears to be over the guard in a 2 point stance, he either drops back into coverage or rushes the QB. He's basically a hybrid DE/LB. I think I could still see him filling the MIKE next year.

LB again becomes the position to watch in the spring.

He's been all over on special teams. Battled injuries all season too.

As someone else mentioned LB's fill the coverage units. The body type is a necessity HCDM has spoken about this before.

My guess on LBs to start the spring will be

1s Armstrong, Richards and Cullen.

2s Wallace, Williams and Fagan

3s Trotter, Allison, Walton (unless he's moved to DE)

*If Richards permanently moves then Williams or Cullen at the MIKE backed up by Allison

*If Richard moves, and if Cullen starts at the MIKE, backed up by Williams, then Wallace and Fagan fight for the starting OLB spot.

*Allison is a wildcard at the MIKE because he's an unknown commodity. If he has speed he could start.

There are a lot of good pieces here. We'll miss Guthrie, but we're starting from a much better position this year than last year.

Incoming:

Mike Jones 4* 6'2” 215
Lee Kpogba 4* 6'2” 210
Geoffrey Cantin Arku 3* 6'4” 215

I've been trying to watch Richards to understand his role and he does one of two things. Lines up inside, appears to be over the guard in a 2 point stance, he either drops back into coverage or rushes the QB. He's basically a hybrid DE/LB. I think I could still see him filling the MIKE next year.

LB again becomes the position to watch in the spring.

He's been all over on special teams. Battled injuries all season too.

Yeah, thats why i was so surprised that he wasnt mentioned once as a contributor next season

Yeah, thats why i was so surprised that he wasnt mentioned once as a contributor next season

I think had he not gotten hurt early in the season he would've gotten run. Could have been a blessing for Shy really. I did see him all season long on the kick coverage teams making plays though. No doubt he'll be in the mix this spring for that MIKE spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom