What I expect at this point… | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

How did they recruit the 6 man class?
We are Syracuse. We are going to get guys that want to play here. You can bring in 20 guys for that matter but if they aren’t ACC caliber players it doesn’t help us.

How many top guys did we go after and close on? JB used to close on a lot of high ranking kids. Not so much anymore. Usually projects and mid tier guys.

I’ll tell you why I’m excited about Red, his competitive spirit and fortitude. Red doesn’t like to lose or suck at anything. I’ve witnessed it first hand, he will be a tireless worker for the Cuse. If it’s Red I’ll be confident that he will give 110% and succeed.
Well, all of that can be said about coaches who played, except the 110%, which is impossible.

How did they recruit the 6 man class?
Diversity for diversity sake is wrong. Hiring the best people will bring diversity. If JW believes that Red is the way to go , let’s trust his judgment. He is inside and hopefully has a lot of observations and insights.
I think Red would change the defense. He was a terrific defensive player, as I recall.

Missouri
That Missouri game we were oh so close to winning in regulation. Those b2b OT losses in the NCAA were such a gut punch, but I think we’d all kill to feel the pain of a tough NCAA exit right now.

Last edited:
If JW goes outside 50 years is washed away.
Did you watch any of what went on this weekend?
There is an enormous amount of power that comes from 50 years of continuity. JW understands that. SU doesn't have to go outside at this juncture. Red deserves this opportunity. If fails then go outside. Not now.
Can’t have continuity without JB. It is not the same. Plus we do not want to continue the last 9 years.

Our history is our history. That doesn’t change with an outsider. That is silly.

Why does Red deserve it? Blind resume he doesn’t even get an interview.

This is important information.
I want to keep Judah obviously, but if that is the reason we didn’t do a national search, I think it’s foolish. All year this board bemoaned the notion of promoting from within considering the shortfalls in so many areas and now it feels like we are being forced in to promoting from within so JB can save face on an impending mass exodous? We know he is not retiring because he wants to, he’s retiring because he realizes how the exodous will look after last couple years results.

I like Red, he can be successful, hopefully. I will root for it. But this seems short sighted and seems like it’s a forced hand.

You really think he’s going to drag out the zone full time?
He’s going to play the it against lemoyne and say “see i told you we can’t play this anymore”. To a standing ovation in the press room.

I like Red, he can be successful, hopefully. I will root for it. But this seems short sighted and seems like it’s a forced hand.
I think that many people feel the same way. But, hopefully Red hires a great coaching staff and is successful, and if it doesn't work, then open the doors for the next hire.

Dumb question, but if Red can recruit so well then why haven't we reasonably consistently gotten good recruits lately?
Have you ever worked for a boss that makes the entire team look like they are underperforming because they are going at it with 75% effort or micromanaging you? Yet you're working your tail off only to run up against roadblock after roadblock to get your initiatives in action.

That could very well describe our current situation.

Last edited:
Sounds like it’s trending towards Red. But to respond to your evaluations…

—Pitino: 5-6 years is not a short term rental. We need to get back to relevance asap. He can turn around a program instantly, and his ability to recruit and coaching acumen are second to none. He’d be guaranteed to have us back in the top 25 in 1-2 years. He’s a legitimately great coach, arguably better than JB in both of their primes. Pitino still has the fire and loves recruiting and doesn’t mind traveling. I worry that JB would block this from happening, which would be incredibly unfortunate.

—Sean Miller… The guy has won everywhere he’s ever coached. He’d kill it here with all the resources, the Dome, the history, and conference affiliation.

Of the other guys I just mentioned as possibilities, Shrewsberry is very intriguing. Matt Painter is one of my favorite coaches in college basketball. He’s an offensive mastermind. If Micah picked up some of those schemes and skills from his time at Purdue, we could be cooking with gas. And Micah has had a couple of decent years at the backwater of Penn State basketball.

Tang turned KState into a top 25 team in year 1 and spent many years at Baylor, where they have a great system and play a physical and athletic style of basketball.
A program lives by its reputation. Pitino and Miller are outlaws. No proud school would consider them.

If Red is named and he isn’t able to quickly use the portal to rebuild the team by bringing in 3-4 top notch players, we will very quickly know this won’t work. Pressure will be on Red from the start with very little rope. I feel kind of bad for him because he’s being put in a tough situation and I’m not sure he will be able to navigate through it successfully.

If Red is named and he isn’t able to quickly use the portal to rebuild the team by bringing in 3-4 top notch players, we will very quickly know this won’t work. Pressure will be on Red from the start with very little rope. I feel kind of bad for him because he’s being put in a tough situation and I’m not sure he will be able to navigate through it successfully.

I don't see it this way at all. Red will be given ample time as a first time head coach, he must show a level of competence for sure but he will given some time to put the parts and pieces together and put his systems in place. he isn't inheriting what Coach K left behind at Duke. He has to rebuild not carry on.

And yes there will be growing pains. John W has proven to be reasonable and patient if anything in these situations. If Red doesn't work out which he may very well not it won't be just a couple guys covered in dorito dust with tin foil hats on in their Mom's basement calling for his head, it will be very clear to everyone that this isn't going to work out. He will be given every opportunity to succeed though, to think he will get a quick hook I think his unreasonable considering where and who he is working for. There needs to be a baseline of competence, accountability, and discipline established though as well. Certainly a bunch of off court stuff will not bode well which I do not anticipate.

I think bringing in 3-4 top notch players from the portal is expecting a lot for whomever the coach is next year.

I want to keep Judah obviously, but if that is the reason we didn’t do a national search, I think it’s foolish. All year this board bemoaned the notion of promoting from within considering the shortfalls in so many areas and now it feels like we are being forced in to promoting from within so JB can save face on an impending mass exodous? We know he is not retiring because he wants to, he’s retiring because he realizes how the exodous will look after last couple years results.

Some posters have “bemoaned.” Others see the value of an internal replacement and realize that just because there has not been announced national search or job posting it doesn’t mean that the AD hasn’t tapped into his extensive network and explored potential candidates for the position from outside the family. This opening is not a surprise. Personally I am satisfied that John Wildhack has put a lot of time and effort into this decision. Much more and at a more intensive level than anyone bemoaning on this board. He apparently has a comfort level in Red and is confident he can be successful. I can accept that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom