What I expect at this point… | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

I understand this is not apples to apples. But does anyone remember when we hired SS because we tried to keep continuity instead of doing a real national search?

If Jim stepped down several years ago before these past 2 seasons (rock bottom) then I would still be against it because I want a national search, Best candidate possible. But it would be understandable. Now we are at Rock bottom giving a coach who has never been a coach before reigns to a top 10 program in a bad situarion. Now, if Red fails how many years does he get to turn it around? If he flames out after 3-4 years we are now looking at 13 years of poor performance. That becomes even harder to overcome and attract a big time coach.

I think this would be a terrible decision to hand the program over to an inexperienced coach and could set us back a decade, not just years.

Gate, Traynor, FLJ all have something in common. They were all head coaches before coming back home to Syracuse. Gate has been training for years in the wings to become a head coach for the men and has the clout to back it up. Red is nothing like gate in that sense. This would be unprecedented to me to give the program to a guy that has only been an assistant coach at Va tech and the worst part of Jim’s Syracuse career. What exactly did he do as an assistant? Recruiting has never been worse and the skill level on the court has never been worse. I am not saying that is all his fault. But I’m not exactly sure what he has actually done to get this position other than play at Syracuse University? Who cares about keeping the team together or what Jim wanted. Forgoing a national search could be devastating to this program.

PS. I hope I’m wrong. Just don’t see the positives of hiring red without any type of search.
It’s admittedly a big risk.

Last edited:
Obviously not, given the timing.
Obviously not, given that a Korn Ferry search would cost $$$ and any coach they would suggest would cost even more $$$ - if they had a buyout. Happy for Red if the rumors are true.

This is not an exact comparison but Siena has had 10 head coaches since Mike Deane in the 80's, four of them ending up with losing records. Turns out that two of the four (Patsos and Buonaguro) were extremely personable but neither ended up coaching again after being let go by Siena.

The other two (Beyer and Lanier) were both more reserved, pretty good recruiters but could not get the wins they needed at the time when they were let go. However both have gone on to very successful careers as assistant coaches and Lanier is now a HC again.

None of that means anything, except seeing first hand what happens with a turnstile of head coaches. Red wouldn't be my first choice, but with the proper staff, I think he can be successful.
You’re damn right it’s not an exact comparison.

I would take a pass on Drew Valentine as he still needs to proof he can win with his recruits. Dead last in the A-10 does no get me excited. He might be available for an interview if they get bounced by St. Joe's tomorrow. I've watched them several times and this years team is a turnover machine.
I wasn’t advocating for him. I was just listing up-and-coming names over the past couple of years that college basketball media seems to love. Valentine took over Loyola Chicago and had a golden opportunity there after Porter Moser put the school on the map. He clearly needs more time before any P5 would hire him.

Good to know. Don’t doubt it and a history lesson is definitely in order for those of us born after his playing days.

Remember seeing clips surface of his tourney performance against Mizzou when the team account does the “this day in Cuse history” tweets during March Madness and was amazed I didn’t come across it sooner.
I was a freshman in college when Red was a senior and he had that incredible tourney game against Mizzou. Man, I feel old. You weren’t even born…

Autry has one of the best NCAA tournament games in SU history, and I agree he was better than Gerry.
That was the first game I watched after getting accepted into SU and Autry became my first favorite player (albeit short-lived). Of course it was also my first loss, made tougher given all the Mizzou fans - family and friends - who rubbed it in. But what really pissed me off was when he wasn’t drafted a few months later. That was the first time I wondered if the world was out to get us.

I felt it should of been Gerry I think we are making a mistake but maybe Gerry will stay given that his kids are there at
Jd

That was the first game I watched after getting accepted into SU and Autry became my first favorite player (albeit short-lived). Of course it was also my first loss, made tougher given all the Mizzou fans - family and friends - who rubbed it in. But what really pissed me off was when he wasn’t drafted a few months later. That was the first time I wondered if the world was out to get us.
He also had a game against Kentucky where he went for 30-10-6 ( remember that team had moten and Wallace) and just played thru Travis Ford all day. Man vs boy. Great player.

Yes. It's true in coaching and in business. The person who follows a long tenure is often in the position for a short time (with some notable exceptions). It becomes an unintended interim job.
You never know. Izzo followed Michigan State legend Jud Heathcoat. Matt Painter followed Purdue legend Gene Keady. They’ve both done pretty darn well. Arizona had two bumpy years after Lute stepped aside with some health and personal issues, but they quickly righted the ship with Sean Miller (which of course went south after about 10’years of high level success). Oh, and there’s this guy named Boeheim that was pretty good after the previous coach got the program on track and took the team to a Final Four. You just never know.

Last edited:
You never know. Izzo followed Michigan State legend Jud Heathcoat. Matt Painter followed Purdue legend Gene Keady. They’ve both done pretty well. Arizona had two bumpy years after Lute stepped aside with some health and personal issues, but they quickly righted the ship with Sean Miller (which of course went south after about 10’years of high level success). Oh, and there’s this guy named Boeheim that was pretty good after the previous coach got the program on track and took the team to a Final Four. You just never know.
Painter had head coaching experience.

We will benefit in recruiting based on the fact that Red will actively travel to the recruits. He will be there in person to show his interest. That means the world to these kids if you ever listen to their interviews.

Nobody has brought it up but I think having some diversity at HC is amazing. I think it’s great for our football team as well.

How did they recruit the 6 man class?

FWIW…checked in with my plug and they havent heard a drop of any of this but I’m actually not surprised because if there is a plan of this sort happening/gonna happen, it would stay pretty tight lipped.

I’m honestly at the point where I dont care who comes in, I just want to see our recruiting (both portal and HS) increase and our HC is grinding like they should. I also want a HC who sees talent and doesn’t just look at measurables. We’ve passed on undersized guards who have lite up the NCAA and heavier centers who have done wonderful in ball as well. Enough of that crap, you take the talent and figure it out

I’ll tell you why I’m excited about Red, his competitive spirit and fortitude. Red doesn’t like to lose or suck at anything. I’ve witnessed it first hand, he will be a tireless worker for the Cuse. If it’s Red I’ll be confident that he will give 110% and succeed.
I agree and if he is gonna teach man he needs that tireless Worker mentality. Guts and determinatio.

FWIW…checked in with my plug and they havent heard a drop of any of this but I’m actually not surprised because if there is a plan of this sort happening/gonna happen, it would stay pretty tight lipped.

I’m honestly at the point where I dont care who comes in, I just want to see our recruiting (both portal and HS) increase and our HC is grinding like they should. I also want a HC who sees talent and doesn’t just look at measurables. We’ve passed on undersized guards who have lite up the NCAA and heavier centers who have done wonderful in ball as well. Enough of that crap, you take the talent and figure it out
Couldn’t agree more. Can we please get back to the early 2010s talent again. Kids WANT to play here. Just need to identify the right ones. I really don’t care whether it’s Red, Pitino, or whoever. Just someone that can ID talent.

Red is my first choice. He bleeds Orange and that is a necessity. What I fear most is instability. Things can go really bad if we have turnstile coaches. Syracuse is not the dream job that it once was when we were the Beast of the East.

How does he bring stability? We need to go way up from where we have been lately. Winning brings stability not having played for SU.

Really? Guess the Miami is a terribly coached team. Cooley uses it too.

Coach K was even using it a bit at times as well. It's fine used in moderation and you don't need to be great at it because the other team isn't going to spend an entire 2-3 practices figuring out how to beat the zone either. Change of pace, if it works great if not you get out of it.

Even see some NBA teams using a bit more of it as well.

How does he bring stability? We need to go way up from where we have been lately. Winning brings stability not having played for SU.
If JW goes outside 50 years is washed away.
Did you watch any of what went on this weekend?
There is an enormous amount of power that comes from 50 years of continuity. JW understands that. SU doesn't have to go outside at this juncture. Red deserves this opportunity. If fails then go outside. Not now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom