What I expect at this point… | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

This is so sad that people don't remember how big of a star Autry was... in his senior year, Autry was the teams best player. No offense to GMAC but Autry (in my opinion) was the much better player.

a) I feel very old that I'm joining in the "let's describe Adrian Autry, a post-probation late-middle-Boeheim-era player, to people who never saw him" game;
b) This bolded line is not hyperbole...Autry was up and down as an underclassman but he really was the top dog on a team with Wallace and Moten. He was the straw that stirred the drink. He'd be hands-down the coolest player of the last decade in the current era.

Semi-related:

c) Agree on the assessment that it's odd that people are talking themselves into the continuity hire being a good decision. It is what it is, but it's a strange limitation for a program that's been struggling to place on itself at such a critical juncture. I wish Autry the best, always liked him very much as a player and was thrilled when he was brought on to replace Rob Murphy. But following Boeheim is a thankless job.

We didn’t know (for sure) how truly mediocre this season was going to be at that point.
Yet.

image-7-768x768.jpg

Well, duh.

The ceremony for Hak & Gerry was announced back in Nov.

We didn’t know (for sure) how truly mediocre this season was going to be at that point.
Yet.

It took the season playing out how it has, to make it abundantly clear to all with eyes that this needed to be the finale for J-Bone.

Exactly my point on timing.

But following Boeheim is a thankless job.
Yes. It's true in coaching and in business. The person who follows a long tenure is often in the position for a short time (with some notable exceptions). It becomes an unintended interim job.

Well, duh.

The ceremony for Hak & Gerry was announced back in Nov.

Yet.

It took the season playing out how it has, to make it abundantly clear to all with eyes that this needed to be the finale for J-Bone.
Gus and J bone were just getting started

I’m least excited about Red as head coach and I think JB regrets retiring

The 2-3 zone is still a great defense to use situationally if the opponents personnel calls for it. It should not be the main defense anymore.
Just my opinion . It’s an awful defense that breeds softness and should never be used by a school that can recruiting the level of athlete we can. Using it as a “change of pace” defense will be a disaster as you don’t have enough time to allocate sufficient practice resources to it without cutting into your time spent optimizing your base D. It should retire along with coach

Just my opinion . It’s an awful defense that breeds softness and should never be used by a school that can recruiting the level of athlete we can. Using it as a “change of pace” defense will be a disaster as you don’t have enough time to allocate sufficient practice resources to it without cutting into your time spent optimizing your base D. It should retire along with coach
Really? Guess the Miami is a terribly coached team. Cooley uses it too.

I’ll tell you why I’m excited about Red, his competitive spirit and fortitude. Red doesn’t like to lose or suck at anything. I’ve witnessed it first hand, he will be a tireless worker for the Cuse. If it’s Red I’ll be confident that he will give 110% and succeed.

Red is my first choice. He bleeds Orange and that is a necessity. What I fear most is instability. Things can go really bad if we have turnstile coaches. Syracuse is not the dream job that it once was when we were the Beast of the East.

a) I feel very old that I'm joining in the "let's describe Adrian Autry, a post-probation late-middle-Boeheim-era player, to people who never saw him" game;
b) This bolded line is not hyperbole...Autry was up and down as an underclassman but he really was the top dog on a team with Wallace and Moten. He was the straw that stirred the drink. He'd be hands-down the coolest player of the last decade in the current era.

Semi-related:

c) Agree on the assessment that it's odd that people are talking themselves into the continuity hire being a good decision. It is what it is, but it's a strange limitation for a program that's been struggling to place on itself at such a critical juncture. I wish Autry the best, always liked him very much as a player and was thrilled when he was brought on to replace Rob Murphy. But following Boeheim is a thankless job.

Not sure I gather why there is a discussion over him vs Gerry as a player... for me it's about as a coach and nothing else.

If it has to be an internal hire, then:

1) it has to be Red
2) MTM needs to be the primary D (this is to optimize recruiting)
3) a big man needs to be hired to recruit and coach big men
4) maybe keep GMac and/or Griff, if they are good recruiters/coaches (I'm not sure), if not, go outside.

The above could possibly success, but I'd prefer they do a national search.

Question: how would we feel about Ewing as big man coach. I presume he’s fired right?

Not sure I gather why there is a discussion over him vs Gerry as a player... for me it's about as a coach and nothing else.
Especially when you think of the successful NBA coaches who were either reserves or team managers. Guys that never became a star but became great coaches.

Question: how would we feel about Ewing as big man coach. I presume he’s fired right?
Bosom enemy? Like Louie?

Could be great but he seems to be damaged goods after his HC stint at GU. I don't know if he is a good coach or not.

Agreed, no need to be cryptic.

If Red can recruit the rest falls into a place. A winning coach will carry a room on his own way.

He needs to relate to players and their families.
Dumb question, but if Red can recruit so well then why haven't we reasonably consistently gotten good recruits lately?

Miller - concern is with his past and I don't see the university seeing him as a short list guy. I'd be happy to see that being wrong though- can't see it - the AZ stuff is still fresh.

Pitino- short term rental and all the history... we love the idea as fans but realistic??

Tang- Clearly a good coach - has the chops. But what does he bring coming East connections wise? One year at Kstate and gone? Is this just a name or is there smoke that would make him a short list candidate?

Gates- See Tang.

Valentine- Year 2 they have been bad. He inherited a great system year 1. Year 2 he's looked over matched. Need to see more.

Shrewsbury- this one was on my watch list.. which I knew I was missing someone. Don't know his recruiting background but Painter is a hell of a coach so anyone from that system is worth a look.

MedVed and Mccassland not as familiar- what's the allure?

Boynton- he is killing it in recruiting - results aren't there though on the court. Obviously a Brooklyn guy.

Just my two cents and questions.
Sounds like it’s trending towards Red. But to respond to your evaluations…

—Pitino: 5-6 years is not a short term rental. We need to get back to relevance asap. He can turn around a program instantly, and his ability to recruit and coaching acumen are second to none. He’d be guaranteed to have us back in the top 25 in 1-2 years. He’s a legitimately great coach, arguably better than JB in both of their primes. Pitino still has the fire and loves recruiting and doesn’t mind traveling. I worry that JB would block this from happening, which would be incredibly unfortunate.

—Sean Miller… The guy has won everywhere he’s ever coached. He’d kill it here with all the resources, the Dome, the history, and conference affiliation.

Of the other guys I just mentioned as possibilities, Shrewsberry is very intriguing. Matt Painter is one of my favorite coaches in college basketball. He’s an offensive mastermind. If Micah picked up some of those schemes and skills from his time at Purdue, we could be cooking with gas. And Micah has had a couple of decent years at the backwater of Penn State basketball.

Tang turned KState into a top 25 team in year 1 and spent many years at Baylor, where they have a great system and play a physical and athletic style of basketball.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom