what if: Mike jones | Syracusefan.com

what if: Mike jones

he had the skills to be an all BE 1st teamer.

We even gave him a shot at RB.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Didn't he leave a few weeks before we had a string of injuries that would have catapulted into a lot of playing time? Or was that the following year that everyone got hurt?

That dude was a bouncy athlete. I think he would’ve been a stud had he stuck around.

Wasn’t the story that he was a star in high school, didn’t have to practice, and thought he’d get the same treatment here?

Anyway, after a quick Google, looks like after he washed out at South Carolina, he hit up a juco, washed out there and then ended up at something called Chaflin University. He should find Mark Konecny and have a drink.

He left Christmas break of his freshman year because of playing time. Think about that. Before January of his freshman season. He was behind senior Demitris Nichols, who would finish the season as the Big East's leading scorer, first team all BE and was in the running for BEPOY.

That dude was a bouncy athlete. I think he would’ve been a stud had he stuck around.

Wasn’t the story that he was a star in high school, didn’t have to practice, and thought he’d get the same treatment here?

Anyway, after a quick Google, looks like after he washed out at South Carolina, he hit up a juco, washed out there and then ended up at something called Chaflin University. He should find Mark Konecny and have a drink.

I may be wrong (AGAIN), but was he one of the guys that left for SCarolina with rumors that the kid from Cincy that x-ferred there, Devon Downey, was actively recruiting to transfer with him?

It just seems like there is a very high bust ratio of these kids that transfer out. M Jones is a great example. Can't imagine things going much worse in a basketball sense than what happened with his career.

It seems like Dion is able to appreciate his mothers advice that helped persuade him to stay. No way the alternative would be nearly as good.

This Dion kid is showing signs of maturing into a decent guy. He is currently riding a hot streak of good decisions. Coming back, accepting the coming off the bench role, and finishing up his school work - nice (and you can't argue with his decision to go into the draft when he makes it to #4, and/or his choice of agent).

It's nice to see, especially when reminded of the disastrous consequences of someone who chose a different route.

It just seems like there is a very high bust ratio of these kids that transfer out...

Very true - it's not even close to a 50% success rate, right? There're a couple of Richard Mannings who made a good choice, but there have been what seems like dozens of Sam Spanns and Rock Lloyds who are never heard from again. Mike Jones is a particularly bad case because he seemed habitually unwilling to do his coursework and continued to bounce out of schools.

To Albany's original post, if (an enormous if, since Jones seems to have been destined to stay off the court) Mike Jones had stayed at SU for even three more semesters, everyone's opinion on Donte Greene would be markedly different. With another talented wing on the team, the "Boeheim really wanted Donte to take over half his field-goal attempts from behind the arc" reason/excuse wouldn't exist. Perhaps 'Te would've been forced inside and developed the post-up game that he ever-so-infrequently displayed.

Didn't Bobby Lazor have a pretty nice post-SU career? (ASU, if memory serves, but I'm not gonna google it)

I remember being very excited about his potential when he committed. It's too bad.

That's what I remember about him as well - potential. Based on what he showed at SC, it seems like the loss wasn't too bad.

When ifs and buts are candy and nuts...we'll all have a merry christmas.

It just seems like there is a very high bust ratio of these kids that transfer out. M Jones is a great example. Can't imagine things going much worse in a basketball sense than what happened with his career.

It seems like Dion is able to appreciate his mothers advice that helped persuade him to stay. No way the alternative would be nearly as good.

This Dion kid is showing signs of maturing into a decent guy. He is currently riding a hot streak of good decisions. Coming back, accepting the coming off the bench role, and finishing up his school work - nice (and you can't argue with his decision to go into the draft when he makes it to #4, and/or his choice of agent).

It's nice to see, especially when reminded of the disastrous consequences of someone who chose a different route.

Dion was a nice guy before he got to SU.

Don't confuse frustration and the difficulty of going from being a star to sitting with being nice. Dion's a good kid.

44cuse

The stories I remember when he first transferred were he was homesick unless he was using that as a coverup.

I remember him knocking down 3-4 midrange j's in his first or second exhibition. He had potential.

Very true - it's not even close to a 50% success rate, right? There're a couple of Richard Mannings who made a good choice, but there have been what seems like dozens of Sam Spanns and Rock Lloyds who are never heard from again.

While I'm not debating that plenty of transfers wash out, Ramel "Rock" Lloyd is not one of them. In three seasons at Long Beach St., he averaged 18, 15, and 19 points a game.

And, in addition to the previously mentioned Bobby Lazor and Richard Manning, 'Cuse has had a ton of transfers who did quite well at other schools.

Here's a few:

Earl Duncan averaged 15ppg at Rutgers over 2 seasons.
Keith Hughes went for 20pts & 9rb a game over 2 seasons at Rutgers - wining A-10 player of the year.
Matt Roe averaged almost 18 points a game in his one season at Maryland.
Anthony Harris led Hawaii in scoring in 1999 with 22.4 ppg
DeShaun Williams averaged 15ppg and 5rpg in his one season at Iona.
Eric Williams became a solid, if unspectacular, role player at UMASS averaging 5ppg and 4rpg over 2 seasons
James Thues averaged 9 points a game in 2 seasons at Detroit Mercy

Not making the NBA isn't washing out. If it were, then 90% of Syracuse's players have washed out.

Tony Bland.

In two seasons at SDSU, Bland led the Aztecs in points 27 times, rebounds seven times and assists 26 times. He had 56 double-figure scoring games at SDSU (70 career, counting 14 at Syracuse)

Tony Bland.

In two seasons at SDSU, Bland led the Aztecs in points 27 times, rebounds seven times and assists 26 times. He had 56 double-figure scoring games at SDSU (70 career, counting 14 at Syracuse)

No one rocked the high socks like tony bland

Tony Bland.

Wow. I did not know that. Good stuff.

44cuse

While I'm not debating that plenty of transfers wash out, Ramel "Rock" Lloyd is not one of them. In three seasons at Long Beach St., he averaged 18, 15, and 19 points a game.

And, in addition to the previously mentioned Bobby Lazor and Richard Manning, 'Cuse has had a ton of transfers who did quite well at other schools.

Here's a few:

Earl Duncan averaged 15ppg at Rutgers over 2 seasons.
Keith Hughes went for 20pts & 9rb a game over 2 seasons at Rutgers - wining A-10 player of the year.
Matt Roe averaged almost 18 points a game in his one season at Maryland.
Anthony Harris led Hawaii in scoring in 1999 with 22.4 ppg
DeShaun Williams averaged 15ppg and 5rpg in his one season at Iona.
Eric Williams became a solid, if unspectacular, role player at UMASS averaging 5ppg and 4rpg over 2 seasons
James Thues averaged 9 points a game in 2 seasons at Detroit Mercy

Not making the NBA isn't washing out. If it were, then 90% of Syracuse's players have washed out.

Wow - had no idea that Rock Lloyd put up those numbers. I was way off, thought he completely flamed out.

You missed one: Glenn Sekunda is another who played well for his second school.

Keith Hughes didn't just play well, he ended up getting drafted, I believe.

Earl Duncan is an all-time "what-if" guy. Shouldn't have left; would've been very good for us in 1990.

Very strange that Anthony Harris was a senior at Hawaii in 1999. He was 26 years old. Wonder what he did between his 1992 SU departure and that time. Kid was a heck of a player; he could've helped us earlier in the decade.

Still, I think most of our transfers are flame-outs (and I'd include Eric Williams and Thues on that list). Most of the above-mentioned guys are exceptions to the rule; they probably represent fewer than a fifth of Boeheim-era transfers

Tony Bland is another good example of a guy who succeeded after leaving. Good for him, bad for us. I remember being very surprised and disappointed to learn of his departure. He faded badly down the stretch in 2000, but there was never any doubt that he could play. Boeheim benched Griffin for Bland for a reason - he could've been a really capable 2 in our system.

I have to jump in to note that my analysis was wrong - many of our transfers ended up succeeding (had to look this up; thanks to orangehoops.org). It's a 50/50 split, if that.

Transfers:
George Papadakos (good – 10 ppg at Michigan State for two years)
Michael Brown ?
Rodney Walker (wash-out – 3/2 guy at Maryland for two partial years)
Earl Duncan (good – 14 ppg at Rutgers for two years)
Matt Roe (good – big year for Maryland for one year)
Keith Hughes (good – almost 20 ppg at Rutgers for two years; drafted 47th)
Richard Manning (good – 17 ppg at Washington for two years; drafted 43rd)
Tony Scott (never played at TAMU)
Anthony Harris (good)
Glenn Sekunda (good)
Charles Gelatt (wash-out – under 10 ppg for DePaul for two partial years)
Bobby Lazor (good)
David Patrick (wash-out – 3/2 guy at Louisiana Lafayette for three years)
Rock Lloyd (good)
LaSean Howard (12/5 guy for two years at Hampton)
Eric Williams (wash-out – 5/4 guy for two years at UMass)
Sam Spann (11/7 guy at Fairfield)
Tony Bland (good)
James Thues (wash-out – 9/3 at Detroit Mercy)
Greg Davis (wash-out – 3/3 guy at North Carolina A&T for two years)
Mark Konecny does he count as a transfer?
Dayshawn Wright (wash-out)
Mike Jones (wash-out)
Devin Brennan-McBride transfer or retiree?
Sean Williams (jury’s out, but it’s probably safe to predict he’s not going to be a big producer)

By my count, ten guys who had legitimately good post-Syracuse careers, a couple (LaSean Howard - who I really liked here - and Sam Spann) who played pretty well at a lower level of competition, nine who were arguably wash-outs, and a couple guys who are difficult to place. We're all over the map.

Its amazing how every thread turns into something totally off the original subject lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom