What if... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What if...

wait did UBER dial him for a ride to the airport ? that job offer ?

Last edited:
They were aware of it. I think they may know more about Hop's interest than we do.

They have salaries that afford them membership to The Payside. Unless you mean his financial accounts.

don't sweat it. hopkins has yet to land a job he's interviewed for. (except maybe st. bonaventure ?)

Who is going to hire a coach knowing he's going to leave for the Syracuse job the minute it opens up? Hop ain't going anywhere. And Syracuse will tell Jim his time there is up.

If Boeheim wants to coach a few more years, he tells Hop, who then takes a job somewhere else... Plies his trade for a few years there, and when JB is ready, you can still give the job to Hop as long as he did well elsewhere.

It's not a bad situation for 'Cuse to be in, that's for sure. Imagine if Hop went to Cal, made the tournament a few times, deepened and re-established his California recruiting connections, then came back to take the reigns here. I'd feel far more confident in him than if he just slides up to the top spot after next year.

The situation with Hop is confusing to me. On one hand, he's the SU HC in waiting. On the other hand, he was a finalist for the U$C job a few years ago and JB was pretty upset that he didn't get the job. So is he looking elsewhere or is he ok with waiting for JB to hang it up? I have to think it's the latter because why would you stay at a school for 20+ years working for a coach who is obviously close to retirement if you are not intending to succeed him?

Imagine if Hop went to Cal, made the tournament a few times, deepened and re-established his California recruiting connections, then came back to take the reigns here.

Imagine if Hop goes to Cal and does not do well.

The situation with Hop is confusing to me. On one hand, he's the SU HC in waiting. On the other hand, he was a finalist for the U$C job a few years ago and JB was pretty upset that he didn't get the job. So is he looking elsewhere or is he ok with waiting for JB to hang it up? I have to think it's the latter because why would you stay at a school for 20+ years working for a coach who is obviously close to retirement if you are not intending to succeed him?

My question is what is the message to recruits? Coach Boeheim is definitely done next year or he is looking for an extension?

Imagine if Hop goes to Cal and does not do well.

That's better than Hop taking over here and not doing well; we find out without having the program downswing and can undertake a national search.

My question is what is the message to recruits? Coach Boeheim is definitely done next year or he is looking for an extension?

I have no idea, I'm not that connected.

quote-it-s-like-deja-vu-all-over-again-yogi-berra-2-54-63.jpg

Reading between the lines, what the OP suggests hypothetically is what I believe actually happened.

Can't envision Hopkins leaving under any circumstances, after waiting this long. Wouldn't have an issue if he bails for Cal, as it is closer to home for him. If that's what he chooses to do [and I'm not saying that it will be], then I tip my hat and thank Hop for his service. But then we make a clean break and bring somebody outside of the program in with a proven track record, and a profile suitable for a semi-elite program.

Which is what we should do anyway, IMO. This is not a job where candidates should be learning on the job.

Reading between the lines, what the OP suggests hypothetically is what I believe actually happened.

Can't envision Hopkins leaving under any circumstances, after waiting this long. Wouldn't have an issue if he bails for Cal, as it is closer to home for him. If that's what he chooses to do [and I'm not saying that it will be], then I tip my hat and thank Hop for his service. But then we make a clean break and bring somebody outside of the program in with a proven track record, and a profile suitable for a semi-elite program.

Which is what we should do anyway, IMO. This is not a job where candidates should be learning on the job.

How is Cal closer to "home" for him amymore??
He's lived in CNY for DECADES now. The majority of his life, in fact.

And - he's got a contract to be the next HC of the Orange.

Hop isn't going to Cal. They could have hired him in 2014 and choose Martin.

Hop is going to wait for his chance at SU. JB is done after next year.
SU BB job top 10
Cal BB job middle of the road P5 job.

Unless they give him a 7 year contract he would smart to just wait one more year and take the SU job.

Reading between the lines, what the OP suggests hypothetically is what I believe actually happened..

Correct. Cuse wants to stick to the plan with Hop taking over in 2018. I'm not sure JB has the support anymore.

Last edited:
How is Cal closer to "home" for him amymore??
He's lived in CNY for DECADES now. The majority of his life, in fact.

And - he's got a contract to be the next HC of the Orange.

That didn't stop Hopkins from actively pursuing the USC job a few years ago. Word at the time was that Hop and his wife were both of the mindset that they might be tired of extreme winter weather, and that the prospect of returning to California was intriguing to them. If Enfield hadn't gotten the job, I believe that Hop would have -- and taken it.

Also, I'm just responding to information from earlier in the thread about Hop as a Cal candidate. I'm not suggesting that he would take it nor that he should. As mentioned, I can't envision him leaving under any circumstances after waiting this long, with the finish line one year away.

That's better than Hop taking over here and not doing well; we find out without having the program downswing and can undertake a national search.

I have no idea, I'm not that connected.

It takes time to build a program like Cal. It took Enfield 3 full years to get to the NCAA tournament at USC. If Hop wasn't immediately successful, it doesn mean he wouldn't be in time. The problem is, Syracuse might not give him that opportunity after a couple of down years at Cal.

That didn't stop Hopkins from actively pursuing the USC job a few years ago. Word at the time was that Hop and his wife were both of the mindset that they might be tired of extreme winter weather, and that the prospect of returning to California was intriguing to them. If Enfield hadn't gotten the job, I believe that Hop would have -- and taken it.

Also, I'm just responding to information from earlier in the thread about Hop as a Cal candidate. I'm not suggesting that he would take it nor that he should. As mentioned, I can't envision him leaving under any circumstances after waiting this long, with the finish line one year away.
From what I can tell, the source of the latest "Hop as Cal candidate" rumor was the two guys doing last night's game.

From what I can tell, the source of the latest "Hop as Cal candidate" rumor was the two guys doing last night's game.

There are numerous Newhouse grads who know nothing about the Syracuse basketball program.

There are numerous Newhouse grads who know nothing about the Syracuse basketball program.
That guy wasn't even on my radar as a Newhouse grad, and the analyst was Mark Plansky. I'm thinking those two probably don't have a direct pipeline into the program. Plansky didn't seem to even know that Hopkins is the coach-in-waiting.

"takes time to build a program like Cal. It took Enfield 3 full years to get to the NCAA "

and enfield wasn't assistant coach there for 30 years either.

Hop isn't going to Cal. They could have hired him in 2014 and choose Martin.

Hop is going to wait for his chance at SU. JB is done after next year.
SU BB job top 10
Cal BB job middle of the road P5 job.

Unless they give him a 7 year contract he would smart to just wait one more year and take the SU job.

I don't think we're a top 10 job, at least not right now.

I don't think we're a top 10 job, at least not right now.
Completely disagree with you there, given the infrastructure that's in place and the conference affiliation.

Not a chance there aren't 10 better jobs out there, for a coach with ambition.

Completely disagree with you there, given the infrastructure that's in place and the conference affiliation.

Not a chance there aren't 10 better jobs out there, for a coach with ambition.

Maybe not available jobs and all coaches should have ambition.

I think our fans overrate what we have. The Dome is a dump, it's like old Yankee Stadium. Has history, has great capacity but it's a hunk of concrete crap. The Melo Center is wonderful, but it's no better than what the other big boys have.

We're in the ACC and that's great, but there's no doubt we're trending downward and it's not setting up Hop for success with the roster the way it looks.

If for some reason Hop goes somewhere else or we replace him after a few years, we're not getting a sexy name, we'll probably get a coach that's had mid-major success.

i want a proven winner. not a project and a prayer . you can say you like mike as a nice person. i do too. what you can not say about his career so far is that he is a proven winner and program builder as a head coach. he is 50 and has ZERO wins under his belt. ZERO. ok he's loyal and nice but he's totally untested.

i want a proven winner. not a project and a prayer . you can say you like mike as a nice person. i do too. what you can not say about his career so far is that he is a proven winner and program builder as a head coach. he is 50 and has ZERO wins under his belt. ZERO. ok he's loyal and nice but he's totally untested.
Actually, he has four wins under his belt.

Maybe not available jobs and all coaches should have ambition.

I think our fans overrate what we have. The Dome is a dump, it's like old Yankee Stadium. Has history, has great capacity but it's a hunk of concrete crap. The Melo Center is wonderful, but it's no better than what the other big boys have.

We're in the ACC and that's great, but there's no doubt we're trending downward and it's not setting up Hop for success with the roster the way it looks.

If for some reason Hop goes somewhere else or we replace him after a few years, we're not getting a s e xy name, we'll probably get a coach that's had mid-major success.

A dump:

730fd578509986fc65154ad535e13df4_dumping-at-landfill-695.jpg

A Dome:

carrierdomeuconn.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online