What if... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What if...

"takes time to build a program like Cal. It took Enfield 3 full years to get to the NCAA "

and enfield wasn't assistant coach there for 30 years either.

And enfield isn't taking over a Top 10 program either. Hopkins loyalty and patience paid off.

Maybe not available jobs and all coaches should have ambition.

I think our fans overrate what we have. The Dome is a dump, it's like old Yankee Stadium. Has history, has great capacity but it's a hunk of concrete crap. The Melo Center is wonderful, but it's no better than what the other big boys have.

We're in the ACC and that's great, but there's no doubt we're trending downward and it's not setting up Hop for success with the roster the way it looks.

If for some reason Hop goes somewhere else or we replace him after a few years, we're not getting a s e xy name, we'll probably get a coach that's had mid-major success.

What are the Top 10 jobs?

Kansas, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Michigan State, Louisville...? We are certainly Top 10, based on tradition, facilties, conference affiliation, TV, recruiting base, etc.

i want a proven winner. not a project and a prayer . you can say you like mike as a nice person. i do too. what you can not say about his career so far is that he is a proven winner and program builder as a head coach. he is 50 and has ZERO wins under his belt. ZERO. ok he's loyal and nice but he's totally untested.

Tom Izzo was untested. Until he got the Michigan State job. What you want is of zero importance. Hop is taking over.

What are the Top 10 jobs?

Kansas, UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Arizona, Michigan State, Louisville...?

Indiana, UCLA along with what you've mentioned. With the way we're trending I wouldn't touch this job right now.

Maybe I'm under rating our near future but I really think we're going to be in the lower middle or lower end of the ACC unless something drastic happens. We have no 100 prospects coming in, unclear of the roster next year, HOF coach leaving.

If you were a mid major coach and you got a coaching offer from Florida, Indiana, Syracuse, UCLA, and say even Miami. What puts Syracuse at the top? I'm not sure I'd take the Syracuse job over any of them.

Indiana, UCLA along with what you've mentioned. With the way we're trending I wouldn't touch this job right now.

Maybe I'm under rating our near future but I really think we're going to be in the lower middle or lower end of the ACC unless something drastic happens. We have no 100 prospects coming in, unclear of the roster next year, HOF coach leaving.

If you were a mid major coach and you got a coaching offer from Florida, Indiana, Syracuse, UCLA, and say even Miami. What puts Syracuse at the top? I'm not sure I'd take the Syracuse job over any of them.

Trending? We played in the Final Four last year. Indiana is not trending down? Michigan State too? UCLA played in the NIT last year. UCLA and Indiana have both been through numerous coaches in the last 20 years. Miami? They don't care about basketball in Miami or at Florida. Look at who Florida hired. Mike who?

What puts Syracuse ahead of them is the Carrier Dome (attendance/fan base) tradition, the name brand, the ACC, and TV (again ACC).

Maybe not available jobs and all coaches should have ambition.

I think our fans overrate what we have. The Dome is a dump, it's like old Yankee Stadium. Has history, has great capacity but it's a hunk of concrete crap. The Melo Center is wonderful, but it's no better than what the other big boys have.

We're in the ACC and that's great, but there's no doubt we're trending downward and it's not setting up Hop for success with the roster the way it looks.

If for some reason Hop goes somewhere else or we replace him after a few years, we're not getting a s e xy name, we'll probably get a coach that's had mid-major success.
Wow, you're a glass-fully-empty kind of guy! I think the 30,000 fans inside the Dome are more important to a coach than the concrete girders outside of it.

Wow, you're a glass-fully-empty kind of guy! I think the 30,000 fans inside the Dome are more important to a coach than the concrete girders outside of it.

Kids like playing in FF's too.

Trending? We played in the Final Four last year. Indiana is not trending down? Michigan State too? UCLA played in the NIT last year. Miami? They don't care about basketball in Miami or at Florida. Look at who Florida hired. Mike who?

What puts Syracuse ahead of them is the Carrier Dome (attendance/attendance) tradition, the name brand, the ACC, and TV (again ACC).

So Syracuse is more attractive than UCLA and Indiana?

Nobody cares about our attendance outside of Syracuse, sorry. Tradition, um, didn't you just say Syracuse > Indiana/UCLA?, TV? Every game is on tv. I actually had more trouble watching a Syracuse game the past couple of years than I ever have.

I love this program but it is what it is. The final four was a great run, but at this point it means zero. We've been a bubble team 3 years in a row and next year isn't looking any better.

Awesome, then we should be able to get any coach we want. Guess Jay Wright is a lock to come.

I wonder if Coach K is jealous of the Dome as it would take 10 of his games to match the attendance in one Dome game.

Awesome, then we should be able to get any coach we want. Guess Jay Wright is a lock to come.

I wonder if Coach K is jealous of the Dome as it would take 10 of his games to match the attendance in one Dome game.

We've already got the coach we want.

Nobody cares about our attendance outside of Syracuse, sorry. Tradition, um, didn't you just say Syracuse > Indiana/UCLA?, TV? Every game is on tv. I actually had more trouble watching a Syracuse game the past couple of years than I ever have.

I love this program but it is what it is. The final four was a great run, but at this point it means zero. We've been a bubble team 3 years in a row and next year isn't looking any better.

Yes it is. Ucla can't fill their arena. If UCLA is such a great job why do they keep firing coaches out there?

I didn't say we had a better tradition than UCLA or Indiana. I said that we are a better job right now and have been for a while.

And yes attendance certainly does matter. It matters to recruits and it matters to coaches. Big-time atmosphere and big-time TV games are the norm at Syracuse. And it matters a lot. Is UCLA on TV? Who would know?

Yes it is. Ucla can't fill their arena. If UCLA is such a great job why do they keep firing coaches out there?

I didn't say we had a better tradition then UCLA in Indiana I said that we are a better job right now

And yes attendance certainly does matter. It matters to recruits it matters to coaches. Big-time atmosphere and big-time TV games are the norm at Syracuse.

I didn't say we had a better tradition then UCLA in Indiana I said that we are a better job right now

And yes attendance certainly does matter. It matters to recruits it matters to coaches. Big-time atmosphere and big-time TV games are the norm at Syracuse.

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on this site. Bravo.

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I've read on this site. Bravo.
Does game day atmosphere mean anything in your view?
What do you think when you're sitting in the midst of 30,000 fans who are all pumped up and into the game?
What makes a college BBall program attractive to you?

If Boeheim wants to coach a few more years, he tells Hop, who then takes a job somewhere else... Plies his trade for a few years there, and when JB is ready, you can still give the job to Hop as long as he did well elsewhere.

It's not a bad situation for 'Cuse to be in, that's for sure. Imagine if Hop went to Cal, made the tournament a few times, deepened and re-established his California recruiting connections, then came back to take the reigns here. I'd feel far more confident in him than if he just slides up to the top spot after next year.

This sounds like a great plan...

5 years ago.

When you live in a town where the only thing to do in the winter is to go to a mall, eat at a BBQ joint, go to wegmans or to a basketball game it's probably you'll have great attendance.

What do you think of Dukes capacity? Think that has baring on a coaching job? Why does UCLA get better recruits than us year in and year out? Again, nobody outside of Syracuse cares about our attendance.

Does game day atmosphere mean anything in your view?
What do you think when you're sitting in the midst of 30,000 fans who are all pumped up and into the game?
What makes a college BBall program attractive to you?

If it was that big of a deal then why can't we get even 1 top 100 prospect to sign with us this year with plenty of playing time available next year?

I'm shocked that anybody goes to Duke with their small gym.

When you live in a town where the only thing to do in the winter is to go to a mall, eat at a BBQ joint, go to wegmans or to a basketball game it's probably you'll have great attendance.

What do you think of Dukes capacity? Think that has baring on a coaching job? Why does UCLA get better recruits than us year in and year out? Again, nobody outside of Syracuse cares about our attendance.

Not much to do in Lawrence, Kansas or Bloomington, Indiana Louisville, KY either. Maybe that's why those place fill up their arena while ucla can't.

When was the last time ucla made a final four again? Won a title?

Not much to do in Lawrence, Kansas or Bloomington, Indiana Louisville, KY either. Maybe that's why those place fill up their arena while ucla can't.

When was the last time ucla made a final four again? Won a title?

Just stop. If you truly believe Syracuse is a better gig than UCLA I really have nothing to discuss with you.

So you're saying Indiana and UCLA can't land elite coaches anymore? Thank you.

Mike Hopkins is an elite coach?

Basketball might not be the sport for you to follow, I've never seen more ridiculous takes in one thread in my life.

If it was that big of a deal then why can't we get even 1 top 100 prospect to sign with us this year with plenty of playing time available next year?

I'm shocked that anybody goes to Duke with their small gym.

In one year? Didn't we make the elite 8 with no top 100 kids in our starting 5 in 2009? We are putting kids in the first round of the NBA draft annually. How do we compare with UCLA and Indiana in NBA talent?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom