What I'm hearing | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hart or Hop who you got?
I don’t know I am split on that decision, but let’s not pretend Hart isn’t a risk as well. If he doesn’t get the job it also doesn’t mean he wasn’t offered.

I think it’s going to be hard to get him here. I know this because i mainly live where I do because of my wife. And I say this as I’m someone who likes living in the Syracuse area. It wouldn’t necessarily be my first choice though.

I wouldn’t base any hire ever on fan sentiment alone. It’s a small piece of the overall puzzle
Who isn’t saying this?

Obviously its not a big part of the process. Hop’s resume is the issue.

If he gets hired then the fanbase will get the dose of reality our job isn’t as great as we think.

I do.
His performance at Washington won’t inspire optimism that he should be given the keys to the HC job.

Performance matters.
Hop was an excellent number 2 here. That doesn’t mean he will be an excellent number 1. The performance at Washington doesn’t inspire confidence.

If he has contacts on the East coast why won’t those players continue going to play for him out West.
Players go for the coach.
Stewart went out there.
Why has it stopped?
Stewart was a first round pick so Hop can sell that.

I like Hop but he hasn’t shown enough to think he will do here as HC. Wildhack’s list if its only alums lacks faith.
Difficult to get a lot of kids to head West. Hop got few, but it’s hard to remain consistent with that trend. Most kids want to play closer to home. Hop is clearly the best recruiter of our in house candidates. And the only way we’re turning this around is to upgrade recruiting in a serious way. This current class is fine but we need to do a lot better.

This current class is fine but we need to do a lot better.
I don't know about "fine". I think this type of class is ok if it is bookended by much stronger classes. Not going to make any noise in the ACC if this class is the norm going forward.

GMac is behind Autry.

I don’t really think Autry should be the next HC either.
If our pool is Autry, Hop, GMac then Wildhack obviously will have a thin pool.
In that situation i say throw some money at Jason Hart and have him say no.

If he does then I guess its Hop vs. Autry.

If we just go straight to the idea it has to be alum the job isn’t that great.
I’d think Gmac is behind Autry as well, but JB seemingly is positioning this another way. Like someone else mentioned, Hop can and has proven to recruit in this area while Hart hasn’t.

Hart or Hop who you got?
Assuming they both interview well and are both willing to take the job, I would go for Hart personally. Keeps it in the family while being separated enough to bring something new here tactically. And I think you could pair him with East coast guys to spread our recruiting map out a bit.

Not really convinced Hart is a real option but if he is, I would be highly interested.

well I dont personally know Hop...I dont have insider info...I dont really know all of the behind the scenes info that could mitigate how Hops record as a head coach is very poor.

He's 10 games over .500 in his 5 years at Washington, including the year he lost Quade Green and wound up 5-21.

Take out that one season, and his average is 20 wins and 13.5 losses in the other 4 years.

That's hardly "very poor", when you consider that SU has only reached 20 wins twice in the last 8 years.

He's 10 games over .500 in his 5 years at Washington, including the year he lost Quade Green and wound up 5-21.

Take out that one season, and his average is 20 wins and 13.5 losses in the other 4 years.

That's hardly "very poor", when you consider that SU has only reached 20 wins twice in the last 8 years.
Interesting numbers. I don't want to look at the actual numbers, I am lazy in that way. But, we should probably throw out his best year as well, just to be fair. But, anyway, consider that his mean record 20-13. One could say that he would recruit better at Syracuse than he has at Washington, considering his east coast connections and the perceived (at least by me) advantages of recruiting to Syracuse (Dome, ACC...). With better players, maybe that means 1 or 2 more wins per year, so average year of 22-11? I guess it could be argued that the conference is better and that may offset the better recruiting. Ok, so taking in all of that, if you have made it this far, you will probably realize that I am just throwing a bunch of meaningless crap against the wall and I've wasted nearly a minute of your precious time. Any more than a minute, and you need to learn to read faster. So, anything over a minute is on you, not me.

You have to hugely discount the covid year too.

As a fan I would not be inflated if Hop is the hire. If SU is a Top 10 job as so many people claim on this board (for the record I am not one of those), and that ADJW is playing chess while we are playing checkers (also not sold on) my hope would be we could do better than what Hop has demonstrated thus far at UW.

Your mentioning of a Top 10 job reminded me...

Friday night, while watching the UNC vs UCLA game, CBS put up this graphic of the top 5 winningest programs in college hoops history; Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina and Duke. It pained me to see Temple listed as the 5th, knowing that it is Syracuse University when counting the 101 vacated wins. What pains me most, is not that JB isn't credited (officially) but foremost Syracuse University. Historically, we are 5th, when figuring in those W's.

My point, we should act more like a program that has that Top 5 status of all time. Otherwise, moving forward, we will have a lot more in common with Temple and its 'has been' status relative to present day relevance, etc.

With better players, maybe that means 1 or 2 more wins per year, so average year of 22-11? I guess it could be argued that the conference is better and that may offset the better recruiting.

If you look at our roster, and you tell me that if we had landed a Top 25 guy and another Top 50 guy, that we only would have been one or two games better? I mean, come on.

Way I see it odds that the next coach are successful is greater than zero but probably not super high. The whole "don't wanna be the guy that follows the guy" thing.

That said, here's how I order the odds of success of guys from the family:

Pitino - highest

Hart
Hop

Autry

GMac

The problem is the candidates listed are unrealistic and the realistic candidates aren't that exciting.

Put Hop against Kevin Willard and I am choosing Hop every time.

It's basically hope for a miracle to get Few or Oats or otherwise you're hiring a P5 assistant or low major head coach.
What about it Ed Cooley? He’s a guy who could really take the next step at a place like Syracuse. I think Willard could work, too, but I don’t think it’s realistic as there’s probably too much bad blood there with JB over Taurean, Kadary and other issues.

Way I see it odds that the next coach are successful is greater than zero but probably not super high. The whole "don't wanna be the guy that follows the guy" thing.

Pitino - highest

Hart
Hop

Autry

GMac
I agree. And, considering the fact that the next coach will probably fail, I would like to throw my hat in the ring. I am figuring it would take 3 years to successfully expunge the "guy following the guy" bad mojo. I would take a 4 year deal...you know so as to not hurt recruiting...at a bargain rate of $2.5 million. I, like JB, would give the home town discount. I am not from Syracuse, but the Utica area is close enough. I would have an AWESOME radio show. I would give great interviews. I would play both man and zone defense. I only have one son, and he is like 5'10" so obviously, I would only let him play 25-30 minutes per game. If someone could pass this along to JW, I would appreciate it.

Pitino - highest

Hart
Hop

Autry

GMac

good spacing between Pitino and Hart.

What about it Ed Cooley? He’s a guy who could really take the next step at a place like Syracuse. I think Willard could work, too, but I don’t think it’s realistic as there’s probably too much bad blood there with JB over Taurean, Kadary and other issues.
I don't get what people see in Willard. His teams can't score and he keeps losing in the tournament early. We are trying to get away from mediocrity. His record screams it. I think Maryland fans will be sick of him after a year.

Cooley is a solid coach, but another guy where it isn't a given he will succeed here. He's also a Providence native.

Ed Cooley is a local from Providence and extremely connected to the school. This is also a school with good proximity to some recruiting hotbeds, good facilities, and overall pretty low pressure and expectations.

Seems like the perfect gig for him. Why would he ever leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom