What is Marrone's ceiling as a coach? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What is Marrone's ceiling as a coach?

I would give him four years. If at the end of that period the team has not been ranked in the top 25 for at least one week, fire him.

These are our fans.

Undefeated...ACC Champs...national champs...Mayor of Syracuse...Governor of NYS...Vice President of the U.S. (I would say President, but I'm trying to be realistic here.)

Ever been behind the curtain at any of them? Pretty nice places. Stadium upgrades, nice crowds, fair amount of corporate cash.

It's going to be a lot different to compete against them than a lot the NBE schools.

What's worse is you can't make the "quality of education" argument in the ACC either. In the US News rankings (i know they are sketchy but they are used as a common benchmark) SU is bottom half of the conference.

Attendance is NOT a bigger issue than facilities. That's ing laughable.

Gents, Marrone has us winning again. He shows flashes of an aggressive offense, though our execution was terrible Saturday, he is not afraid of aggression. Our defense is banged up, beat up, filled with freshmen and redshiurts and they still fly like nobodies business and hit like they are old Ronnie Lott wannabees. Fans are slowly coming back to the Dome, is a down economy and in a down area. People are questioning how many wins not haw bad the losses will be. We are in recruiting battles for 4 & 5 star kids. We will be getting new money from the conference.

Overall, I see lots of upside. We cannot blame Marrone for the facilities and we know Dr. Gross wants to improve them. TGD is a good fundsraiser, but let's face it, this is a down economy and gifts are harder to come by. He can be Dick McPhereson for this generation.

Attendance is NOT a bigger issue than facilities. That's ******* laughable.

Then you know little about recruiting or don't know anyone that talks to recruits on an everyday regular basis. You must also not know that a member of the staff said "the key to turning this program around is to get the fans back in the Dome". You must have also missed the thread just today that says SU has hired an outside firm to handle ticketing to hopefully increase attendance. We do pretty darn good on the basketball side both in recruiting and attendance. Many basketball recruits talk of how they are blown away when they are here on a visit and the crowd is 30K. Remember any football recruits (there have been several) that have visited on a weekend with a basketball game? What did they say? The same thing the basketball recruits say. They were blown away by the fan support at the basketball game...a couple have even added, "I can't imagine what it is like for a football game and this place is full". Oops. Yea, someone else might have a better training room that us or a better lounge or locker room. But it really SUCKS when a recruit is here in the sterile environment of the Dome and he sees a 1/2 empty stadium with a bunch of silver.

BTW, where will the millions come from that so many people want to put into facilities?

I figured it would come from you, but now with the whole moving-games-to-NYC/NJ, I guess that's out the window. ;)

I would give him four years. If at the end of that period the team has not been ranked in the top 25 for at least one week, fire him.

So if he makes a bowl this year and next, which would mean three straight .500 or better regular seasons, but we never crack the poll, you want him fired based on how some coaches (or their interns) vote?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.037303,-76.131672

If we lose a couple more games Scooch, this place will be Hoops Board Jr.

Agree with you. I can't even fathom that question being asked right now
Haven't been too the hoops board yet...its worse than this? Didn't think that was possible

In Doug's tenor weh have:

• We have had our first winning season in a long time.
  • Won our first bowl in a long time.
  • Put more money into football then in the past.
  • Made in roads to many recruiting areas, both old and new.
  • Change the atmosphere on the hill.
  • Seen a major effort to target the fans.
  • Been in the mix with recruits that, "a team like Syracuse" should never be in
  • Watch the game with the attitude that we could win instead of hoping that we don't lose badly
  • Seen the growth of players as, not only players, but men (including some road bumps)
  • Put our sports program into a conference that will give us more money and a more firm footing
  • Such a move will support upgrades
  • Have Syracuse talked about in the media in a postive way and not on the "Bottom 10" list
  • Seen Manley go from a forgotten janitor closet to a legit resource for all sports
  • Recieved a vision for success with the goals to achieve that success
  • Upgrade in talent of the recruits (size, speed, measurables)
  • See players achieving in the classroom
  • Seen season ticket sales and ticket sales go up
  • Have a coach that can speak coherently in public
  • etc...
We do have a long way to go, and it will take sometime. Sure there are some things that I would like to see differently, but I think DM is doing a fine job. I was at the game yesterday and could have sworn it was not DM or the staff that dropped passes, threw int's, dropped at least 3 int's for pick 6, or allowed players through the line to block kicks. DM and staff have but the players in the postion to make plays, and it will click eventually. I also have seen some kids that are very "green" and will be studs in the next few seasons.
Yes but he doesn't read us inspirational stories like his predecessor ... just kidding I agree completely with the above

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom