What was Ashton praying for on the sidelines? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What was Ashton praying for on the sidelines?

money3189 said:
So you to expect him to take a bubble screen to the house every time he touches the ball?
Once a year would suufice

Ashton is 100% a Tight End. If he can put on 20 lbs by the time he is a senior, he will be an absolute nightmare to cover.

I think a lot of you are way out of
line on this. Ashton played the game with a separated shoulder, made a number of plays to help us win the game and I think he was concentrating on the count when Brisley was sent in (late) to replace him.

No doubt he was hurt. His arm was hanging when he lined up. I'm sure that's why Shafer wanted him out. His problem started though when he waved off the sub and we had to waste a timeout. Then got pissed about it. Even with a healthy shoulder, I doubt he gets back in.

He got caught up in the heat of the moment. It happens all the time. Dez Bryant rages at his teammates/coaches sometimes. Think the cowboys are gonna cut or trade him? C'mon. Phil rivers has gone off on his coaches. Is he going anywhere? Nope. It's an emotional game. If you haven't played it don't point fingers. You guys are blowing this waaaaaaay out of proportion. Guy is a warrior for us. He'll be back next year and doing his thing. Love me some #1.
Yep...heck wasn't it the Clemson game when HCSS was caught on camera getting a little fired up?? As been mentioned on this board and even in an HCSS interview, the kid is a competitor. Was he right? No. But this is being blown out of proportion.

I think he was praying for playing time varsity blues style

AB caught an early pass in the game. Hustled to force a first down. He played injured. He waived off a replacement and HCSS called a time out. He was right to hustle and set the gritty tone for Syracuse, he was not going to allow the B1G to push him around and Syracuse followed that lead. He was wrong to waive off a coach's decision. He has matured a lot since arriving - and still has along way to go, changed position a couple times and yet he still is a fierce competitor. HCSS is not sending him packing nor is he going to tone down AB's competitiveness. HCSS will try to mold AB to control himself better and AB probably will be a monster senior.

When Broyld is on the field, defenders know someone is going to get hurt. He is a big target and he runs hard. I think he has improved and will continue to do so. We are used to receivers stepping in and contributing and not dropping what are obvious catches to us and forget that he was throwing those passes a few years ago, not catching them. He waited on guys to run the routes and now we ask him to run the routes.

If for no other reason, his competitiveness will keep him in Orangeland. It is infectious. Gotta love kids that want to lay through pain. reminds me of the Monty Python skit, "It's just a flesh wound."

Broylds ability to pluck the ball out of the air has changed significantly. He is a completely different player now then he was at the beginning of the season. He will be a playmaker without a doubt for 2 years to come

Score?

That is ridiculously unfair. He's not a blazer and he's still learnering. If he had many throws his way in the redzone, then you'd have a right to bitch.

I see progress too. His first catch of the game was a big time catch.

GoSU96 said:
That is ridiculously unfair. He's not a blazer and he's still learnering. If he had many throws his way in the redzone, then you'd have a right to bitch.

I think people are underestimating his speed, because of his size and the way he runs he may look slow but he can move. Would love to know his 40 and 60 times. I think it will surprise many of you that don't think he is fast.

no way this kids warms the bench next year-this aint rutgers ,our staff knows something about coaching

AB caught an early pass in the game. Hustled to force a first down. He played injured. He waived off a replacement and HCSS called a time out. He was right to hustle and set the gritty tone for Syracuse, he was not going to allow the B1G to push him around and Syracuse followed that lead. He was wrong to waive off a coach's decision. He has matured a lot since arriving - and still has along way to go, changed position a couple times and yet he still is a fierce competitor. HCSS is not sending him packing nor is he going to tone down AB's competitiveness. HCSS will try to mold AB to control himself better and AB probably will be a monster senior.

When Broyld is on the field, defenders know someone is going to get hurt. He is a big target and he runs hard. I think he has improved and will continue to do so. We are used to receivers stepping in and contributing and not dropping what are obvious catches to us and forget that he was throwing those passes a few years ago, not catching them. He waited on guys to run the routes and now we ask him to run the routes.

If for no other reason, his competitiveness will keep him in Orangeland. It is infectious. Gotta love kids that want to lay through pain. reminds me of the Monty Python skit, "It's just a flesh wound."
perfectly said

GoSU96 said:
Might be a reason why they don't throw to him in red zone

Gotta throw it in the red zone to have a chance to throw to Ashton. Not sure what the final number was but weren't all our TDs this year either rushes or 20 yd plus passes? How many red zone TD passes were there total?

Gotta throw it in the red zone to have a chance to throw to Ashton. Not sure what the final number was but weren't all our TDs this year either rushes or 20 yd plus passes? How many red zone TD passes were there total?

Hell in conference we went how many games without a TD pass at all? Parris snagged two against BC ... but its not like we popped 2 or 3 TD throws a game ... cripes.

My man you got a answer for everything that results in ashton not being good, bad character. Ok he sucks and he's a thug. I will say it for you if it means that much to you.

Last edited:
money3189 said:
My man you got a answer for everything that results in ashton not being good, bad character. Ok he sucks and he's a thug. I will say it for you if it means that much to you. Hope it makes you feel good
I wanted him at qb! Hands and speed limit him at wr. Would be fine at rb but we are loaded there. Lb would be good in theory not knowing his desire to hit

9 redzone TD passes, 4 outside of it.

stat. this year broyld caught 3 passes for 16 yd 0 tds inside the twenty. zero catches inside the ten.

Millhouse said:
I wanted him at qb! Hands and speed limit him at wr. Would be fine at rb but we are loaded there. Lb would be good in theory not knowing his desire to hit

Hands and speed are enough for TE. Little more muscle/weight. He is one of the most improved players this year.

No QB. Ever.

Hands and speed are enough for TE. Little more muscle/weight. He is one of the most improved players this year.

No QB. Ever.
It's a dead horse on a ship that's sailed in water under the bridge in ancient history. But he could've developed into a good one. Hunt has come along enough where I'm not as tempted to beat that drum. Only reason I brought it up was to point out that I have always thought he is talented

unfortunately right now he ain't as great as he thinks he is.
don't think that is it. It's a combination of the frustration of injury, frustration (rightly or wrongly) at not playing at his natural position with the result being an lack of production that has to be gnawing him.

And his self destruction will be not managing it well as is starting to happen and may bring him down in several ways if he's not careful to manage his hyper competitiveness and emotions.

Emotions and smarts so as to manage it on the field but also off the field to watch out to not give anymore locker room/bulletin board material to the opponent to the potential detriment of your team or other similar self defeating gaffes. Not that anything he said was over the top egregious at all but, still, it was able to be perceived that way and used against him both with perception/comments made and them giving him a little extra with every hit. Gotta be smarter both on and off the field and control the emotions better.

The Paul Harris analogy is apt in terms of how it may play out. Not so much that he should have played another sport and/or under achieved, but that he should have gone elsewhere MAC like and stayed at qb likely being a Jordan Lynch type.

Not giving up on him yet but with the natural selection coming down the pike with others coming in and others improving with experience, he could see decreased playing time for what's occurring with him on and off the field. He's on the precipice and can thank his lucky stars he has a coach like Shafer as someone else noted in this thread somewhere.

don't think that is it. It's a combination of the frustration of injury, frustration (rightly or wrongly) at not playing at his natural position with the result being an lack of production that has to be gnawing him.

And his self destruction will be not managing it well as is starting to happen and may bring him down in several ways if he's not careful to manage his hyper competitiveness and emotions.

Emotions and smarts so as to manage it on the field but also off the field to watch out to not give anymore locker room/bulletin board material to the opponent to the potential detriment of your team or other similar self defeating gaffes. Not that anything he said was over the top egregious at all but, still, it was able to be perceived that way and used against him both with perception/comments made and them giving him a little extra with every hit. Gotta be smarter both on and off the field and control the emotions better.

The Paul Harris analogy is apt in terms of how it may play out. Not giving up on him yet but with the natural selection coming down the pike with others coming in and others improving with experience, he could see decreased playing time for what's occurring with him on and off the field. He's on the precipice and can thank his lucky stars he has a coach like Shafer as someone else noted in this thread somewhere.
Bravo for actually using the word precipice correctly. It is so rare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom