What would you do to fix the team | Syracusefan.com

What would you do to fix the team

20plus

2nd String
First of all just like Bulldog said “he doesn’t even listen to his assistant coaches.

Although if you listen to Eric‘s podcast with Derek Coleman DC used to interrupt JIM in the huddle and change the play and they would run with Derek’s play! So none of this is going to happen or change and that’s why it’s a sad state of affairs.

I can honestly find little or no fault in our forwards they’re doing what they can.

One problem is they’re asking Griffin who is so careless at times with the ball to do more because Buddy and Jill can’t do guard things.

Buddy and Joe
  • can’t get by there man
  • can’t make plays buddy
  • can’t make great decisions
  • can’t be aggressive attacking the basket or creating others
  • they are so bad in transition it’s actually sad.
they are careful with the ball but neither one of them are

Solution
More of a lineup with Quincy and Marek at the forwards with the center and less of Buddy Joe together in the backcourt

First of all just like Bulldog said “he doesn’t even listen to his assistant coaches.

Although if you listen to Eric‘s podcast with Derek Coleman DC used to interrupt JIM in the huddle and change the play and they would run with Derek’s play! So none of this is going to happen or change and that’s why it’s a sad state of affairs.

I can honestly find little or no fault in our forwards they’re doing what they can.

One problem is they’re asking Griffin who is so careless at times with the ball to do more because Buddy and Jill can’t do guard things.

Buddy and Joe
  • can’t get by there man
  • can’t make plays buddy
  • can’t make great decisions
  • can’t be aggressive attacking the basket or creating others
  • they are so bad in transition it’s actually sad.
they are careful with the ball but neither one of them are

Solution
More of a lineup with Quincy and Marek at the forwards with the center and less of Buddy Joe together in the backcourt

Doubt it will happen but really the only way you can change the trajectory is to limit the time that Joe and Buddy are both out there on the court. You could live with their defensive limitations if they were both shooting 40%+ from three and scoring close to twenty a night. Both not shooting well and therefore not making up for what they give up.

Kadary has to play and be matched with one of them simply to strengthen our awful defense. Split the minutes 30/25/25 and limit the Joe and Buddy combo.

Inside the only hope is Sidibe comes back but highly unlikely he approaches the end of last year Sidibe.

Also, would love to see a little proactive pressing if you have an athletic lineup out there. Even mixing in a few possessions could keep the opponent from getting comfortable.

Cuse!

I have said that the simple solution is don’t play John buddy together

either have Richmond or Griffin back there

tI mean you woody or Braswell that could slide in the front court and put Griffin at the two for some run

but Griffin and Buddy can’t play the point guard and that’s the biggest problem he obviously trust Griffin more than Richmond

I would start Kadary over Joe and I know I’m grasping at straws here, but are we sure Braswell or Guerrier or anyone else wouldn’t be worse than Marek at the 5?

Kadary to start. Try to work a center in. Probably frank. Edwards is not good, and Bol is a spaz.

Kadary at PG, and make him penetrating and using high screens a bigger part of the offense. He can get in the lane and has good vision and passing ability. Also look to outlet the ball to him and push it. Too many other guys bringing the ball up for no reason. AG should never be bringing it up. And more Kadary means better defense.

The only guy who should possibly ever go 40 or close is Quincy, as he’s easily our best player.

Certain games(when Buddy is off or locked up) try Griff or Woody at the 2, for defensive purposes.

Joe is a situational role player. Vs. zones or soft man to man’s with weak guards - give him more run and if he’s hot, ride him. Other games, he might not get much run other than maybe a few runs at backup PG to give Kadary rest.

Use the centers more. Marek getting tossed around is beyond old.

We’re going to run into the issue of a logjam at forward, and wanting to have our 5 best players out there by putting Marek at C, but there’s just many teams we play where we gotta deal with it and go with size more often, and hope they come around a bit. A little more Griff or Woody at the 2, frees up more time at forward for Marek.

Buddy is a 25-28 mpg guy most nights.

Quincy should be taking the most shots and playing the most minutes.

Starting backcourt KR. - AG - starting frontcourt QG - Marek both at forward no more Marek at the 5 done deal. Start FA at the five and back him up with either JE or JBA bring BB and JG3 off the bench as reserve guards and bring Bras/ Woody as your reserve forwards we have 11 scholarship players and at least 8 - 9 should play every game our head coach is flat out brain dead at this point in his career.

Kadary
Buddy
Marek
Q
Edwards or Frank start.
Provides solid D and a big team.
Bras in at 2/3 as Sub
Woody in at 4 as Sub
Joe in at 2/1 as Sub
Griff in at 2/3 as Sub.
Id have combos of
Kadary
Griff at guard

Woody Bras Q or Marek at 4

Frank Edwards Marek at 5

Easy. You would get more all around production from Kadary if he actually played more than Joe. Joe’s a one dimensional player and if his shot isn’t falling he gives you nothing. Hes a liability. His defense is mia and his bball iq is no where to be found.
Id start whatever center is practicing the best that week. Along with Marek, Q, Griffen, Woody/Braswell. First off the bench if we need scoring, boeheim, then Joe.

Frank is probably done for the year. Still in Covid protocols. Won't be cleared to practice until next month.

You'll have to start the revolution without him.
That really stinks because his size and athleticism makes him an interesting prospect.

Id still be good with a 3 way split at center with Marek, Jesse, and JBA.

I'd start Kadary at point over Girard and tell him to play a Laz Sims type game. Dominate and be strong with the ball, and help on the Boards. You can't be undersized at all three front line positions, and then have two guards who can't help rebounding and are sieves defensively.

Then I would substitute much more liberally, expecting guys to go all out, even foul more.

If that didn't work, I would replace Griffin with Braswell or move Guerrier to the three and start either Newton or a true 5, moving Marek accordingly. Again, I would substitute much more liberally and even mix in more press.

Bottomline though, the 2-3 zone is a flawed system. Pitino showed everyone how to beat it with the high post and shooter in the corner. Boeheim adjusted by having the 5 try to get out to the corner, but it's ineffective and stupid because it 1) warps the entire zone [partly why we can't rebound] and 2) causes us to recruit and play twig bigs with no offensive upside. Also, too many teams can just straight up "shoot it" these days.

Last edited:
How about a backcourt of KR and Griffin, w/ Marek & Q, and Jesse, Ajak, or Frank, warts and all, as your front court.
Braswell/Woody first off the bench w/ the Dynamic Duo.

Easy fix in my opinion.
Start KR and AG at the top of the zone. There is speed and length at the top. Q and Marek at the forward spots. Frank starts at C; if he is out longer, start Jesse.
Buddy is a sub off the bench but I’d play Buddy at the 3 to ensure we keep the speed and length at the top of the zone. Buddy played the 3 at an early point in the year and did fine. Next subs could be based on situation but do not play Marek at center unless the other team plays small ball. Play the bench more. Woody and Bras should come in way more than they do. Bring Joe in only at certain points but he and Buddy do not play the top of the zone together at any point.

With our subs we implement a soft press to burn time off the clock so the other team does not have 27-28 seconds to beat the zone. By implementing a soft zone press, they would only have 20 seconds to really navigate the zone.
Play the bench, use your subs. Even in the second half.

I’m assuming all our centers are toast. So that’s what I’m going with.

We need to focus on defense at this point and shifting away from a three point shooting team. I can re-state some of the numbers we’ve been seeing. As a team:

FG%: 186th
3PT%: 247th
3PT Attempted: 40th

Also, there is starting to be a real case that Buddy is now hurting us worse than JGIII. JGIII has bad numbers. We know that. Quick comparison:

JGIII
FG%: 32%
3PT%: 33%
FGA/game: 9.9 (has been trending down)
PPG: 10.2
PER: 11.9
Defensive Box +\- (you’ll see why I’m cherry picking this one. DBPM levels plus minus out to be measured against what your plus minus is against what the average player on an average team does in terms of adding value/points on the defensive side of things): 1.2 (third best on team. Kadary wins this category by a country mile)

Buddy
FG%: 37%
3PT%: 27%
FGA/game: 15.4
PPG: 15.1
PER: 14.3
DBPM: 0.0 (lowest on the team out of anyone who plays)

Again, DBPM doesn’t tell nearly the whole story on defense but I did want to put in something that showed JGIII doing better than Buddy. it’s definitely cherry picking.

The biggest question I have is who starts at the 2 because that impacts all my other decisions.

If it’s Buddy, my fix is: Kadary, Buddy, Q, Bras and AG on the floor together to start. Marek and JGIII off.

If I feel Buddy is just shooting at such a high volume at such a poor rate that he has to be benched, I’m going: KR, AG, Q, Bras and maybe Woody. That gets my defense bolstered. Marek, Buddy and JGIII come off the bench.

Again, please remember that this assumes our centers aren’t available in any real capacity. I’m conceding rebounding with improved defense on the perimeter and more efficient offense.

Is it perfect? Nope. But I’m going to go with my best defenders and keep Q and AG to drive the offense with KR the man at PG. I can easily be talked into keeping Marek out there to start, but he isn’t a five.

Frank is probably done for the year. Still in Covid protocols. Won't be cleared to practice until next month.

Still in Covid protocols? That would seem to indicate more than just exposure or a positive test. Did he have strong symptoms that he's having trouble bouncing back from? I know you probably don't know/can't give an answer.

To play Zone without a true center is clueless. Already giving up massive rebounding edges. Imo, Q would give us another 6-7 defensive rebounds per game at center if the foul trouble didn't knock him down to 20mpg. I don't see how Eddy and Bol can't rebound, but freshmen and sophomores at any other position can grab the ball.

Still in Covid protocols? That would seem to indicate more than just exposure or a positive test. Did he have strong symptoms that he's having trouble bouncing back from? I know you probably don't know/can't give an answer.

I only know what the beat writers have tweeted about him. Missed 3 weeks of practice and expected to miss 2 more for "health reasons".

You can figure out what SU is trying to say without actually saying it.

Why would it take that long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom