What would you do to fix the team | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What would you do to fix the team

24 minutes was enough for Dion Waiters as a Sophomore future lottery pick...

(The talent of Triche and Jardine is irrelevant to this point.)

First of all just like Bulldog said “he doesn’t even listen to his assistant coaches.

Although if you listen to Eric‘s podcast with Derek Coleman DC used to interrupt JIM in the huddle and change the play and they would run with Derek’s play! So none of this is going to happen or change and that’s why it’s a sad state of affairs.

I can honestly find little or no fault in our forwards they’re doing what they can.

One problem is they’re asking Griffin who is so careless at times with the ball to do more because Buddy and Jill can’t do guard things.

Buddy and Joe
  • can’t get by there man
  • can’t make plays buddy
  • can’t make great decisions
  • can’t be aggressive attacking the basket or creating others
  • they are so bad in transition it’s actually sad.
they are careful with the ball but neither one of them are

Solution
More of a lineup with Quincy and Marek at the forwards with the center and less of Buddy Joe together in the backcourt

Play more guys, and the guys that are currently playing; play them less.

24 minutes was enough for Dion Waiters as a Sophomore future lottery pick...

(The talent of Triche and Jardine is irrelevant to this point.)

kinda. 24 is not 20.

I was surprised he only got 20. It felt like 25. I’ll give the coach the benefit of doubt in the second half as the starters actually extended the lead.

Yeah, starters were playing well in the second half. It’s like he’s always gotta wait until they start fading to make subs in that situation though. I get it when the bench stinks. But someone like Kadary should be rotated in. He shouldn’t be out for 10 or more minutes at a time
if he’s playing well. Didn’t matter for yesterday, but it’s mattered in other games IMO, and will
in others going forward IMO.

What I'd do to fix this team is place it in Jim Boeheim's hands.
Oh? It already is?
OK, then we're gonna be fine...

bench buddy, start Kadary.

surprise GIF

What I'd do:
1. True point guard (Kadary) running the offense 30+ minutes a game.
2. True center (even raw and inexperienced) on the court 30+ minutes to affect shots on defense even if they can't rebound consistently yet.
3. Sit guys when they take stupid contested shots.
4. Sub bench guys in as much as the game allows. Practice is no substitute for game experience in terms of developing confidence.
5. Get the ball to Q in the post as much as possible.

Although we didn't do all these things, we did more than most games thus far and should be overall pleased with what we saw last night.

Last edited:
I'd love to see an actual rotation of players, first unit, second unit kind of thing like the NBA does, until the guys who are really 'on' for that night show themselves. Keeps more players fresh, gives experience to younger guys, and still allows JB to tighten the leash if guys mess up or just don't have it (like Alan last night).

I'd love to see an actual rotation of players, first unit, second unit kind of thing like the NBA does, until the guys who are really 'on' for that night show themselves. Keeps more players fresh, gives experience to younger guys, and still allows JB to tighten the leash if guys mess up or just don't have it (like Alan last night).
Every guy in the NBA is a totally developed adult phenomenal basketball player.

Every guy in the NBA is a totally developed adult phenomenal basketball player.
Another excellent contribution to the discussion Polly.

NBA professionals know exactly what they should be doing, 18 and 19 year old kids, not so much.
If only there were a well paid authoritative figure instructing them on expected actions...

Answer

Yep, Richmond should be playing more. He's our best player at creating for others.

Yep, if Girard doesn't have to bring the ball upcourt, he's likely to shoot a higher percentage.

Yep, one of the young centers would show us something positive if they got enough chances.

Covid for Buddy & Joe makes JB's decisions to still play them each close to 40 minutes look really bad.

Alan Griffin has to take fewer lousy shots and protect his dribble more.

It's all up to JB. If he plays 9 guys, there are many who can contribute on this team. If he only plays 6 or 7, then we will lose more games. I think the key is to stop with Marek as our primary center, and to play one of the young guys (or more than one of them ...) in there just so we can challenge more shots, get a bit more size in there, and give those extra 5 or 10 fouls, if we must, to keep Marek on the floor.

I'm not sure there is a "fix" to this team? I want a 6'10" 240 lbs center. But to give it a whirl I would:

1. Zone 80%/M2M 20% - Change the D to change the pace of the game and be unpredictable
2. Play 8-10 guys - Nobody plays more than 18 minutes a half these kids need a break
3. They are athletic - press once in a while to change the pace of the game
4. Don't continue to play guys who are cold or continue to make mistakes - but don't put them in the doghouse - go back to them with your rotation
5. More motion offense - this team thrives with movement, drives and dishes for open shots
6. Treat players the same - don't play favorites (we all know who) and burn the doghouse down
7. Coach the kids - don't scream at them
8. Stop trusting guys with 2 fouls not to pick up that third before half - play the younger centers
9. Actually work hard to recruit that 240 lbs guy for next year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom