What would you do to fix the team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What would you do to fix the team

If we are talking about this season, the talent simply isn't there. The changes will help, but they aren't going to be transformative

Kadary - I think he will eventually be great and should play more now. At this point opponents don't respect his shooting. He played almost the entire second half against Pitt and we still got blown out. A JG that can get hot shooting will be better at times. The problem is JG can't make shots either.

AG - all this talk of playing him at the 2, but he might have the worst handle of any guard I can remember.

Big guys - Sidibe/Frank are a super bad break. We need some size or are going to continually get dominated on the boards

What is clear is everyone recognizes a complete lack of flexibility and creativity from the coaching staff.

A lot of good and interesting points here. My opinion is there are two things mentioned which need to be thrown in the dumpster - 1) Keep Rick P. out of Syracuse; 2) I don't see Griffin playing the 2 since you still need to be able to dribble somewhat at that position and he just does not have that.

Kadary, Griff, woody, Q, Marek. Buddy at the 15 minute timeout and joe around 9.

I like this with a couple edits. Start Jesse and have Woody be the first sub.

I also would like to see JBA get a shot to keep a big man on the floor as much as possible.

The other thing is that it Marek is not driving the ball or being used in the high post then he should not play 40 mins. He is effective when he is aggressive offensively. Defensively as a 5 he is a poor rebounder and provides almost no resistance at the rim. As a 4 it's a completely different story as he can use his hustle and quickness coming in from the wing as a secondary defender.

I know Jesse and JBA have poor hands but they eat up space and that makes it harder for opponents to get clean looks, rebound and finish at the rim. We may give up a few more FTs but far fewer easy layups. Both Q, Marek and Griff are more effective with a space eater to play off of.

Every player on the team has struggled at times and is very inconsistent. The lineups don't really matter to me much because frankly I don't trust anyone other than Q to be consistently productive on any night.

What I want to see first and foremost is anyone who 1) takes what is obviously recognized as a horrible shot pulled immediately. 2) Anyone who gets beat to a loose ball or rebound because they were obviously out hustled or out toughed to be pulled immediately. 3) Anyone who screws up a rotation on D pulled immediately - I don't care if we start running guys in and out of the game like Thompson's bad Hoya teams. I want effort, toughness, team play and understanding of assignments to be rewarded. 4) I DON"T WANT ANYONE WHO DOESN"T HAVE A "Q" IN THEIR NAME PLAYING MORE THAN 30 MINUTES.

We aren't winning games with this roster no matter who plays so let's at least play the kids who are going to scrap and play as a team.

This team has 3 2Gs, 1 PG, 1 SF, 7 PFs, and a C with bad knees and limited basketball skills. Position-less basketball works better in the NBA where everyone has at least marginal skills and NBA athleticism.

If Quincy was 6'9" he'd be lottery pick. He'd also be playing C on this team.

There's no fix that doesn't address the really poor roster management and decisions that have been made over the years. And the coaching philosophy. Boeheim has his ideas, and they've been HOF good for 40 years, but I think he's too far up his own posterior these days trying to make a rube goldberg contraption work. He's tinkering too far on the edges.

I like this with a couple edits. Start Jesse and have Woody be the first sub.

I also would like to see JBA get a shot to keep a big man on the floor as much as possible.

The other thing is that it Marek is not driving the ball or being used in the high post then he should not play 40 mins. He is effective when he is aggressive offensively. Defensively as a 5 he is a poor rebounder and provides almost no resistance at the rim. As a 4 it's a completely different story as he can use his hustle and quickness coming in from the wing as a secondary defender.

I know Jesse and JBA have poor hands but they eat up space and that makes it harder for opponents to get clean looks, rebound and finish at the rim. We may give up a few more FTs but far fewer easy layups. Both Q, Marek and Griff are more effective with a space eater to play off of.
Marek at the 5 on defense is a huge problem. Might be the biggest problem we have. It’s not talked about enough because people are mad about the PG situation. Teams are shooting 70% at the rim.

That said I see nothing from Edwards at all when he’s in. The few minutes he’s played this year he‘s showed No improvement and absolutely zero feel for the game. Center continues to be an issue as it has most of this decade.

Marek at the 5 on defense is a huge problem. might be the biggest problem we have. It’s not talked about enough because people are mad about the PG situation.Teams are shooting 70% at the rim.

That said I see nothing from Edwards at all when he’s in. The few minutes he’s played this year he‘s showed No improvement and absolutely zero feel for the game. Center continues to be an issue as it has most of this decade.

Yeah. My idea with Edwards is can we add a 7ft space eater to give us something even if it's just being a road block. I know that means we play 4 on 5 yet we definitely have experience doing that to some level of success. We are just giving up so much with Marek at the 5 and when he isn't aggressive on offense it becomes pointless.

With Buddy and Joe at the top of zone, and Allen Griffin learning the wing on the fly, we'd need sophomore Fab at the rim to provide any help. Interior players are just getting too many good looks off of passes and movement.

Maybe not next game, but go back to the 4 and 1 with Q, Brass, Ajax, Dolezaj in the middle all drooping as the ball goes left right. Use Kadary, Dolezaj, Griff, newton or brass as closeout guys.

Last edited:
To play Zone without a true center is clueless. Already giving up massive rebounding edges. Imo, Q would give us another 6-7 defensive rebounds per game at center if the foul trouble didn't knock him down to 20mpg. I don't see how Eddy and Bol can't rebound, but freshmen and sophomores at any other position can grab the ball.
6-7?!?! Like in addition to the 9 he already gets? Or you’re saying... the rebounds he currently gets at forward, would be divided between the other forwards while he plays center?

6-7?!?! Like in addition to the 9 he already gets? Or you’re saying... the rebounds he currently gets at forward, would be divided between the other forwards while he plays center?
The second one. We might get some boards at center that way.

Yeah. My idea with Edwards is can we add a 7ft space eater to give us something even if it's just being a road block. I know that means we play 4 on 5 yet we definitely have experience doing that to some level of success. We are just giving up so much with Marek at the 5 and when he isn't aggressive on offense it becomes pointless.
He doesn’t really take up space though. He could because he’s definitely got long arms and some height. But it seems like he struggles getting his shoulders squared up a lot of the time. He’s often just shifted, or something. It’s weird.

If Griffin was a better ball handler, I could see him playing more 2. Unfortunately we’ve seen what happens when he dribbles long distances. I do think he can do enough to help out getting it across half court so I agree it’s worth giving it a shot for a few minutes.

I’ll think about this question a bit more today and try to provide something more substantial.

I'd give Quincy 15 shots minimum every game. I said it. 15 shots. If we think he has a strength advantage I want him on the low block. I want Marek high post. I want JG or Buddy to be completely away from the basketball on the wing but be ready to simply catch and shoot if it's open. I want Kadary to have the rock up top and I want Griffin/Woody/Braswell running baseline to baseline or setting screens up top for Kadary. If a bigger guy is guarding Quincy, switch Marek and Quincy and let him have more space to operate. I want Buddy and Joe to be ready to catch and shoot. Same with Braswell. Put Ajak in for 2 minutes. I don't care if he picks up a foul immediately. I don't care if he gives up a layup immediately. Just see what happens. I don't care.

Lol, Rick P fixing penetration issues got Louisville in a lot of trouble.
It's definitely more in his wheelhouse to cause penetration issues...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom