What would you do to fix the team | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What would you do to fix the team

I'd give Quincy 15 shots minimum every game. I said it. 15 shots. If we think he has a strength advantage I want him on the low block. I want Marek high post. I want JG or Buddy to be completely away from the basketball on the wing but be ready to simply catch and shoot if it's open. I want Kadary to have the rock up top and I want Griffin/Woody/Braswell running baseline to baseline or setting screens up top for Kadary. If a bigger guy is guarding Quincy, switch Marek and Quincy and let him have more space to operate. I want Buddy and Joe to be ready to catch and shoot. Same with Braswell. Put Ajak in for 2 minutes. I don't care if he picks up a foul immediately. I don't care if he gives up a layup immediately. Just see what happens. I don't care.
Honestly I just want to see evolution or adjustments.
Not the same old stuff each and every game and pray we just make shots.
It’s enough.
We don’t change much at all.

I'd give Quincy 15 shots minimum every game. I said it. 15 shots. If we think he has a strength advantage I want him on the low block. I want Marek high post. I want JG or Buddy to be completely away from the basketball on the wing but be ready to simply catch and shoot if it's open. I want Kadary to have the rock up top and I want Griffin/Woody/Braswell running baseline to baseline or setting screens up top for Kadary. If a bigger guy is guarding Quincy, switch Marek and Quincy and let him have more space to operate. I want Buddy and Joe to be ready to catch and shoot. Same with Braswell. Put Ajak in for 2 minutes. I don't care if he picks up a foul immediately. I don't care if he gives up a layup immediately. Just see what happens. I don't care.
I'm good with all of this.

Except I have a little more hope in Edwards than Ajak for now, so I'd give those minutes to Edwards.

I'm good with all of this.

Except I have a little more hope in Edwards than Ajak for now, so I'd give those minutes to Edwards.
Edwards just looks so awkward. It's really quite odd. But sure that's fine. Give each 2 minutes. It's so insignificant in the grand scheme of the game with all the other issues going on anyway.

Feels like we’ve seen Bourama play his last game for Syracuse
Unfortunate but not unexpected for me. Some of the posts here about people talking about their own recoveries from meniscus surgeries when discussing the timelines.. that was a little funny to me. Bourama has a history of knee issues. Not related to this soft tissue acute injury, but absolutely relevant in terms of the history. Feel bad for any player that gets injured and misses time, Bourama definitely included.

Unfortunate but not unexpected for me. Some of the posts here about people talking about their own recoveries from meniscus surgeries when discussing the timelines.. that was a little funny to me. Bourama has a history of knee issues. Not related to this soft tissue acute injury, but absolutely relevant in terms of the history. Feel bad for any player that gets injured and misses time, Bourama definitely included.
My dad did surgery on this stuff yesterday actually. He just repaired a meniscus he told me sßhl
Mdiets matter a lot after these surgeries.
You have to eat less nightshades or foods that cause inflammation.
So their isn’t irritatation.

I am sure Sidibe has had to deal with these changes.

How about we stop giving away scholarships to centers that will probably never be ready to play or by their junior/ senior year. The skinny center recruit hasnt worked out for us in a long time. The game has changed. Even a Jeremy Mcneil type would help us out exponentially. Id rather have an overweight center who can bang downlow then what we have.

If Woody is 100% he should be playing over Bras. Fairly obvious to me

sßhl Mdiets

Happy Excuse Me GIF

It would be nice to see the young guys play more (Jesse/JBA/Woody/Kadary,) just give them a little leash and see what they can do, then assess everyone at the end of the season

I like the question.

i’d...

...look to speed up play. If we can’t defend or rebound, then look to do 32-35 mins of uptempo, inbound ASAP after a basket or missed shot and look to get our shooters to make shots in transition or before the defense can settle.

...use the final 5-8 minutes of a close game to Boeheim stall ball to get a little rest with the key players/hot hands.

...rotate more players in so no one is playing more much more passes two full media timeouts. Have Quincy, for instance, sit out a little past the second TV time out, coming back in after two stopped plays thereafter.

...use more of Kadary at the 1, JG at the II to spell Buddy; use Griffin at the 2, Kadary at the with Quincy, Braswell and Marek/Edwards for a searching defensive look.

...spend time finding the next Troy Weaver without a Syracuse degree to recruit the hell out of some ballers.

It may not lead to a hugely different W/L, but would it hopefully get the players realizing they need to be in better shape and second, might be the best way to play given we are without a strong presence at the 1 and 5.

Fun exercise for fans, but with the understanding that the "fixes" have no basis in the "reality" that is JB's decision making, his 45 year of experience, and his knowledge of his team. So here goes..

If THE fatal flaw is interior defense and defensive rebounding (I believe that it is), AND there are truly "no options at the 5, then there are only certain options left:

1. Make it as difficult as possible to make entry passes into the interior
1b. Put your best defensive rebounding team on the floor even at the expense of offense
2. Limit the amount of time spent defending in straight up half court situations.

Possible options to accomplish the above:

1. Play the players with the most length and quickness relative to the player's ability to be effective at the position. For example, can't play Marek at the top of the zone, Edwards at the wing, and so on.
1b. Play the player's from that pool identified above with the best defensive rebounding numbers per minutes played.
2. PRESS (full, ¾, soft 2-2-1) and TRAP aggressively in the half court.

I would guess that means playing 4 forwards and the best PG with length (Kadary bias here)

From what I think I "know" - Kadary, Woody at top, with Q, Braswell and Marek (whoever is the physically strongest of those 3 "plays" the 5). Use situation specific sub combinations.

If I became coach overnight this is what I would do. Lineups with minutes per game.

PG - Kadary 30
SG - Griffin 30
SF - Marek 25
PF - Quincy 35
C - Edwards 20

Bench
PG - Girard 10
SG - Boeheim 10
SF - Braswell 15
PF - Newton 5
C - Bol Ajak 20

I’m also instituting a man to man 2/3 hybrid defense. Base will be 2/3 but will quickly switch to man to man if other team gets hot from 3.
I’m running some pick and rolls with Kadary and Edwards to get him involved. Marek is going to start shooting more outside. Kadary with some dribble drives to get to the basket and or drop off to Quincy.

We can get this ship back on track let’s go!

We need to drop a bag for next year!

Kadry needs to shoot, he has good form and hits FTs so he can shoot the ball. He cant be any worse than JG and BB. So he takes 2 threes and some mid range maybe makes a few but we crash the boards and rebound. When JG and BB shoot we just stand around.

Kadry needs to shoot, he has good form and hits FTs so he can shoot the ball. He cant be any worse than JG and BB. So he takes 2 threes and some mid range maybe makes a few but we crash the boards and rebound. When JG and BB shoot we just stand around.

I don’t think he should never take a jumper, but to say he can’t be a worse jump shooter than Buddy and Joe is wild.

I hope that people remember how they feel currently about the state of the program, now that people are giving things a good / hard / honest look, and then not lose sight of how ridiculous it would be to hire from within.

I hope that people remember how they feel currently about the state of the program, now that people are giving things a good / hard / honest look, and then not lose sight of how ridiculous it would be to hire from within.
I would never want to rehire within just because.
I was just resigned to the fact I thought JB would get to call the shot.
Which is why if it was going to be internal I just wanted it to AA over GMac.
I hope we get the best candidate we can and honestly your post on this gave me great resolve that I was wrong.

The status quo isn’t working. It can’t be continued.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom