What would you do to fix the team | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What would you do to fix the team

We didn’t offer Champagnie a scholarship and he is from Brooklyn and called SU his dream school.
Champagnie now joins the Jordan Norwood club

Correction and retraction: Nwora

Last edited:
Feels like Kadary spends his first 3-4 mins in the game trying to "fit in" given the mental aspects he's dealing with (playing time, whatever). You can argue about whether that's appropriate or not, but it's reality, and since he plays like 14-16 mins a game, he's spending 25% of HIS time just fitting in, which hurts the whole team.

So first thing, which has been said here 100x, is start Kadary over Joe

Buddy is fine, but should't play 40m

Q should play as much as he wants.

So the 2-3-5 spots are where Coach Boeheim needs to do a better job of defining roles and putting some talented athletes in a place to succeed.

How bout we recruit either out of high school or via transfer instant impact Centers.

Feels like Kadary spends his first 3-4 mins in the game trying to "fit in" given the mental aspects he's dealing with (playing time, whatever). You can argue about whether that's appropriate or not, but it's reality, and since he plays like 14-16 mins a game, he's spending 25% of HIS time just fitting in, which hurts the whole team.

So first thing, which has been said here 100x, is start Kadary over Joe

Buddy is fine, but should't play 40m

Q should play as much as he wants.

So the 2-3-5 spots are where Coach Boeheim needs to do a better job of defining roles and putting some talented athletes in a place to succeed.

Spending his time “fitting in” is on Kadary. That’s not something inherent to coming off the bench. He has nothing to lose, and despite some opinions otherwise, Boeheim doesn’t actually have a quick hook with him for mistakes. Might as well get in the game and go balls to the wall and make something happen.

If I became coach overnight this is what I would do. Lineups with minutes per game.

PG - Kadary 30
SG - Griffin 30
SF - Marek 25
PF - Quincy 35
C - Edwards 20

Bench
PG - Girard 10
SG - Boeheim 10
SF - Braswell 15
PF - Newton 5
C - Bol Ajak 20

I’m also instituting a man to man 2/3 hybrid defense. Base will be 2/3 but will quickly switch to man to man if other team gets hot from 3.
I’m running some pick and rolls with Kadary and Edwards to get him involved. Marek is going to start shooting more outside. Kadary with some dribble drives to get to the basket and or drop off to Quincy.

We can get this ship back on track let’s go!
This looks like a viable experiment. I'd divide minutes between Buddy and Griffin depending on who has the hot hand and maybe do the same at the 3 between Bras and Woody. I think Woody was really showing something before his setback so I'd like to get him more PT is he is up to it physically.

Spending his time “fitting in” is on Kadary. That’s not something inherent to coming off the bench. He has nothing to lose, and despite some opinions otherwise, Boeheim doesn’t actually have a quick hook with him for mistakes. Might as well get in the game and go balls to the wall and make something happen.

I don't disagree with you, I was just responding to the Topic of this thread, which was how to make the team better now.

I personally think Kadary adds more right now, but the way PT is set up he clearly wastes 3-4 mins fitting in, IMO. So I was just saying if you want to make this team better, one way would be to start Kadary in my view.

I don't disagree with you, I was just responding to the Topic of this thread, which was how to make the team better now.

I personally think Kadary adds more right now, but the way PT is set up he clearly wastes 3-4 mins fitting in, IMO. So I was just saying if you want to make this team better, one way would be to start Kadary in my view.
Wouldn’t he still spend those minutes fitting in if he started? They would just be minutes at the beginning of the halves instead of the middle.

Wouldn’t he still spend those minutes fitting in if he started? They would just be minutes at the beginning of the halves instead of the middle.

I don't think so. Memory is fuzzy, but I remember his starting when Buddy was out and playing very relaxed and well. I could be wrong about this, but he definitely has look-over-shoulder-itis, which I agree he shouldn't, but he does.

I don't think so. Memory is fuzzy, but I remember his starting when Buddy was out and playing very relaxed and well. I could be wrong about this, but he definitely has look-over-shoulder-itis, which I agree he shouldn't, but he does.
I think you’re right about him looking over his shoulder. Only way to alleviate that is for him to mentally bury that feeling, or have Joe or Buddy inactive for the game.

Some kids are just better starting the game. Takes a special breed to be able to come in after and produce immediately.

I doubt it would fix the team, but it sure would be interesting to see the zone converted to a 3-2 just to give a different look to teams. I think many of the concepts would be the same, but would allow us to stay out on shooters a bit more. And the athletes we have could play the slightly different zone.

Then again, we run a 2-2-1 now. Man, I just don't know.

I doubt it would fix the team, but it sure would be interesting to see the zone converted to a 3-2 just to give a different look to teams. I think many of the concepts would be the same, but would allow us to stay out on shooters a bit more. And the athletes we have could play the slightly different zone.

“2-3” is just how the zone looks when teams cross halfcourt. After that, it’s pretty amorphous. We’d be able to extend more and be more aggressive on the perimeter if we had interior defenders who could hold their own. Q can. Griffin and Marek cannot.

It's a 2-3 base, with JB's wrinkle of the 3&4 matching up on the extended wings corresponding to how the offense is set up. But all the rotations after that are base 2-3, with the very unique exception of having the 5 closing out to shooters in the strong side corner.

I would take the 4 centers on our roster who apparently are not permitted to play and work up a New Kids on the Block type act. Come up with a catchy name like Centers of the Universe or something like that. Get Vanessa Williams to coach them and teach them some moves. They can lip synch so vocals should not be a issue. Come up with some snazzy outfits maybe retro orange Members Only jackets with a Syracuse script. Roll them out at half time of each home game and shoot for a slot on the ACC network which needs content. They need to do something basketball related while they're here.

I would take the 4 centers on our roster who apparently are not permitted to play and work up a New Kids on the Block type act. Come up with a catchy name like Centers of the Universe or something like that. Get Vanessa Williams to coach them and teach them some moves. They can lip synch so vocals should not be a issue. Come up with some snazzy outfits maybe retro orange Members Only jackets with a Syracuse script. Roll them out at half time of each home game and shoot for a slot on the ACC network which needs content. They need to do something basketball related while they're here.
Smashing. We need more out of the box thinking like this around here.

There is so many problems with this team specifically the defense that I could be here almost all day talking about what needs to be done! First of all you give up 64 points in the second half and you make no adjustments whatsoever, let me give you a clue, the zone is not working right now so adapt like everybody else or get your a$# out of the way,
Simple as that. I have always agreed that you have to adapt to the personnel you have not the personnel adapt to whatever situation is coming their way because obviously that does not make much sense when it's not gonna work out well from everybody's team to team diversity.

Also without a doubt our centers or Sibide Being hurts really hurts us this season because we just don't have the progression of the underclassmen at this point according to the coaches so we're stuck with a 200 pound 6'10 guy that is just plainly getting outmuscled under the basket over and over and over again!
Frankly I am a fan of Marek But he doesn't have the physicality to play center so there is Gotta be another way to make this work in terms of substitutions and variations on defense. Now I know coach thinks he's smarter than everybody But seriously this is getting a little bit Elementary at this point in my opinion.

Now I know who Cpenny reminds me of. Poetry. Damn, how did they not get him. Mega coaching staff fail.

Eh, he’s not that overly pressed microwave guy. That’s not his game. He’s under control and unselfish. He’s a PG. The kid can come in and do nothing wrong and make the right plays and not score and have 1 assist in 8 minutes and because everybody else is clanking their jumpers at the time, it’s “he’s not doing anything!!!” But he’s actually playing defense and making the right plays.

Let Joe come off the bench and try to make everybody notice him in the first two minutes. Lol

Last edited:
Eh, he’s not that overly pressed microwave guy. That’s not his game. He’s under control and unselfish. He’s a PG. The kid can come in and do nothing wrong and make the right plays and not score and have 1 assist in 8 minutes and because everybody else is clanking their jumpers at the time, it’s “he’s not doing anything!!!” But he’s actually playing defense and making the right plays.

Let pressed ass Joe come off the bench and try to make everybody notice him in the first two minutes. Lol
They both need to play. Kadary can't hit 30 foot 3's at a clip, and that wreaks havoc on a defense.

Eh, he’s not that overly pressed microwave guy. That’s not his game. He’s under control and unselfish. He’s a PG. The kid can come in and do nothing wrong and make the right plays and not score and have 1 assist in 8 minutes and because everybody else is clanking their jumpers at the time, it’s “he’s not doing anything!!!” But he’s actually playing defense and making the right plays. Let pressed ass Joe come off the bench and try to make everybody notice him in the first two minutes. Lol

Kadary played 20 minutes today off the bench and was exceptional. Joe played 30+ minutes and was stellar. This game pretty much reinforced everything I’ve been saying yet is also somehow an indicator that I’ve been very wrong the whole time.

Me: Kadary is quite good, I’d like to see him play 20 minutes a game off the bench. His defense is very good, better than Joe’s

Some Others (not you, but also a little bit you): How dare you say Kadary sucks

Kadary played 20 minutes today off the bench and was exceptional. Joe played 30+ minutes and was stellar. This game pretty much reinforced everything I’ve been saying yet is also somehow an indicator that I’ve been very wrong the whole time.

Me: Kadary is quite good, I’d like to see him play 20 minutes a game off the bench. His defense is very good, better than Joe’s

Some Others (not you, but also a little bit you): How dare you say Kadary sucks
8 assists and 5 steals. 20 minutes isn’t enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom