What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m concerned people are going to leave and we don’t have the replacements. If that happens I think we are back in the same spot again.

At present time do we have any open scholarships for next year?

I would agree with those that say there’s no reason not to be filling out our roster every year going forward - *barring injuries and September transfers.

Yeah, I feel like we’ve just about made it through the storm and are just about ready to come out the other side of it...so it’s weird to me that people are picking this time to freak out. I feel way better about things than I did a year ago.

People are freaking out now because our season more or less ended on Wed night at the hands of B freaking C.

What if Louisville had Mitchell?
What if Florida State had Bacon and Issac??

Seriously, why do some posters continue to do the "if we still had (insert guy who left early)" argument. It shows complete ignorance of college basketball in 2018

Then they wouldn't be bubble teams like Syracuse.

How can Syracuse University Basketball continue to be SU Basketball, a perennial top 10 team, if we continue to not have enough talent to make the NCAA tournament, lose the 2 top players on that team, being a Freshman and Sophomore and then expect to be a top 10 NCAA tournament team? Things have changed so much right in front of our eyes.

People are freaking out now because our season more or less ended on Wed night at the hands of B freaking C.

I guess to those out there that don’t follow that closely, I can understand.

I feel like most of us that are Cuse hoops obsessed knew what we had this year, and not many of us were surprised we lost to BC. Heck, we were underdogs.

We go through this every year and expect these magical leaps from some guys and they just don't happen.

Maybe in 2 years but I their talent levels are so low from what they've shown on the court that expecting a lot from either one is asking for a lot.

Frank Howard - Went from 4.5 ppg / 3.6 apg (Soph) to 15.4 ppg / 5.1 apg (JR)

M. Gbinije - From 3.4 ppg / 1.8 rpg (Soph) to 12.4 ppg / 5.0 rpg (JR)

J. Grant - From 3.9 ppg / 3 rpg (FR) to 12.7 ppg / 5 rpg (Soph)

R. Jackson - From 3.7 ppg / 3 rpg (FR) to 8.3 ppg / 6.8 rpg (Soph)

K. Joseph - From 3.4 ppg / 2.4 rpg (FR) to 10.8 ppg / 5.5 rpg (Soph)

A. Onuaku - From 2.0 ppg / 2.8 rpg (FR) to 12.7 ppg / 8.1 rpg (Soph)

And then there's Mr. Christmas (who I didn't include at first since he did it JR to Senior year...I was trying to just include guys in early part of career...but just look at this!):

R. Christmas - From 5.8 ppg /5.1 rpg (JR) to 17.5 ppg / 9.1 rpg (Senior)

Last edited:
What should I expect if we don't have Battle and Brissett? I expect a top 5 ACC finish and to win 25 games.

I think you should adjust your expectations based on the team we actually have in November, not what you think today we will have then.

Agreed when it comes to Lydon.

But the string of injuries is about as bad as it can get, and the Thompson thing was just bizarre. Those things aren’t the norm for us or anyone else.

Absolutely I'm only speaking of the early entries

We switched to man more than that. Some seasons we would play more man than others, but it was still an option. We would go to it in 2000 a decent amount. We went to it in 2003 in more than just the Pitt game. ND game too. Those stand out because they were two of our bigger games but there were others. We would switch to it at times when we had Flynn and Harris.

I’d say 90% starting in ‘96. 100% starting in 2010.

For the bulk his career this was a personnel-driven move. If you've got a mismatch or a thin bench or the prospect of Lazarus Sims and Jason Cipolla trying to stay in front of decent guards, you go zone.

It gradually became more strategic and eventually he concluded that more consistent use would result in better defense.

For the bulk his career this was a personnel-driven move. If you've got a mismatch or a thin bench or the prospect of Lazarus Sims and Jason Cipolla trying to stay in front of decent guards, you go zone.

It gradually became more strategic and eventually he concluded that more consistent use would result in better defense.

In 1996.

I think he's doing the best he can, with a very limited and young roster. Had Taurean Thompson and Thorpe stuck around, or Lydon, we may have been really good. Had Sidibe not gotten hurt, maybe a tournament team. Sanctions are hard, but just about over. Next year looks promising.
This is true, and nobody is denying that..at all. JB may be "trying in his mind the best he can, does not mean it is the right thing or we have to agree. Here is one example. After watching the end of the Wake game, the BC game, and the end of the NC State game, you think he'd be able to at least try something different on defense. Letting the other team shoot wide open 3's is not okay. Sure its possible that no matter what we tried would not work, and I think JB is doing what he thinks the team is best capable of(he is at practice and I am not), but his lack of in game or game to game adjustments has to be somewhat concerning as well as our ability to hold onto players. I love Syracuse, this kills me. I want to be positive about the team. I love the team's hustle this year for the most part, more than last year, but I think after a while when we see the same things/patterns keep happening it is more than fair to ask why. Not trying to bash you or anyone, just my honest thoughts.

At present time do we have any open scholarships for next year?
Depends on who you hear from. There's 12 total available and 10 are known to be committed to next season. Supposedly Bayer has a scholarship for next year and Buddy may or may not. That's 12. Battle is 13, but from reputable posters on this board, he is a near lock to leave early.

So it depends.

ETA: to fix my math, forgot Hughes.

Last edited:
And Scoop and Ennis are both bigger guards. There's no way Ennis could have attracted any NBA attention with that skillset if he didn't have that attribute
I can't speak to Scoop, but I've stood next to Ennis before, and stood face to face w Joseph talking to him last month. I wouldn't say either was a bigger guard. I'd say very average. I think Ennis got in the league w his style, strong handle, and bball iq

Frank Howard - Went from 4.5 ppg / 3.6 apg (Soph) to 15.4 ppg / 5.1 apg (JR)

M. Gbinije - From 3.4 ppg / 1.8 rpg (Soph) to 12.4 ppg / 5.0 rpg (JR)

J. Grant - From 3.9 ppg / 3 rpg (FR) to 12.7 ppg / 5 rpg (Soph)

R. Jackson - From 3.7 ppg / 3 rpg (FR) to 8.3 ppg / 6.8 rpg (Soph)

K. Joseph - From 3.4 ppg / 2.4 rpg (FR) to 10.8 ppg / 5.5 rpg (Soph)

A. Onuaku - From 2.0 ppg / 2.8 rpg (FR) to 12.7 ppg / 8.1 rpg (Soph)

Ahh yes, little played freshman to starters or starter minutes and you're citing per game stats. Nice, if that's you're argument then there's really not much I can say. 2 of the guys have played here in the past 5 years, and Howard's per 40 numbers are far off.

Tell me about

Chinoso
Buss
BJ
Kaleb
Cooney
Roberson

And their improvements.

I think you should adjust your expectations based on the team we actually have in November, not what you think today we will have then.
If you want to be a top tier team, you have high expectations every year. I think the expectations under the circumstances for this years team were more than fair.

This is true, and nobody is denying that..at all. JB may be "trying in his mind the best he can, does not mean it is the right thing or we have to agree. Here is one example. After watching the end of the Wake game, the BC game, and the end of the NC State game, you think he'd be able to at least try something different on defense. Letting the other team shoot wide open 3's is not okay. Sure its possible that no matter what we tried would not work, and I think JB is doing what he thinks the team is best capable of(he is at practice and I am not), but his lack of in game or game to game adjustments has to be somewhat concerning as well as our ability to hold onto players. I love Syracuse, this kills me. I want to be positive about the team. I love the team's hustle this year for the most part, more than last year, but I think after a while when we see the same things/patterns keep happening it is more than fair to ask why. Not trying to bash you or anyone, just my honest thoughts.

man to man gives up 3's too

Depends on who you hear from. There's 12 total available and 9 are known to be committed to next season. Supposedly Bayer has a scholarship for next year and Buddy may or may not. That's 11. Battle is 12, but from reputable posters on this board, he is a near lock to leave early.

So it depends.

If Buddy gets a scholarship then that's a major major issue and just outright dumb.

Depends on who you hear from. There's 12 total available and 9 are known to be committed to next season. Supposedly Bayer has a scholarship for next year and Buddy may or may not. That's 11. Battle is 12, but from reputable posters on this board, he is a near lock to leave early.

So it depends.
If Bayer has a scholarship next year JFC Jim Boeheim.

If we struggle next year no matter who is here people are going to be banging the drum even louder for him to step aside. This year is the worst conference record in our programs history. Something needs to change.

If you want to be a top tier team, you have high expectations every year. I think the expectations under the circumstances for this years team were more than fair.

Agree...most didn't expect the team to make the tournament based on what we had.

I read the whole thing waiting for the end quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.