What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it was. You recruit the best players possible.

Nova isn’t and they are winning 30
Games a year. We are trying to get the best players and we are an NIT team. Who’s strategy is better?

I wish Marek would shoot. Opposing teams are playing off him four feet on the perimeter. He has to put a couple up just to keep the D honest on the other guys.

Games a year. We are trying to get the best players and we are an NIT team. Who’s strategy is better?

Nova recruits great players, obviously. They have 2 McDonald's AA's in their starting lineup right now, and their class for next year is loaded with Quinerly, Swider and Top 50 kid Brandon Slater.

Last edited:
RF, read the thread. MANY people were going nuts evaluating him, not just one.

This is probably an uneccesary qualifier -- because I consider you a board "friend." We often don't agree, but I've enjoyed debating with you over the years -- and I apologize that today's back-and-forth seemed more like arguing. Hopefully, we cool.

Queue in that we are in the ACC gettin dat money. Yay money!!!!! Woot woot

This is probably an uneccesary qualifier -- because I consider you a board "friend." We often don't agree, but I've enjoyed debating with you over the years -- and I apologize that today's back-and-forth seemed more like arguing. Hopefully, we cool.

Always cool man. I only argue with idiots, we never argue, we have healthy debates where I think we both nod our head once after reading each others posts and go our different way.

Respond to everything I say you aren’t getting a response from me.
You aren’t worth my energy.

Well, I don't really care buddy. You spew the same erroneous crap over and over. I'll call you out when you're dead wrong, as is this case. You can't refute what I posted.

RF, read the thread. MANY people were going nuts evaluating him, not just one.

On the other hand, there were a few posting in that thread who did not "go nuts." Selective attention to those opinions, and who is posting what, helps filter the off the wall stuff, for me anyway.

To be fair, there was one poster in particular who implied he had direct knowledge of the staff's scouting of MD's skill set. He led that parade. That influenced the opinion other, let's just say less knowledgeable, opinions.

Well, I don't really care buddy. You spew the same erroneous crap over and over. I'll call you out when you're dead wrong, as is this case. You can't refute what I posted.

Is JB doing a good job managing the roster?

Sanctions aren’t an excuse going forward.

We are going to be in the same boat next year when Howard graduates and Bazley declares. How is this not a problem?

We will never compete in this conference if this is the turnover we have every year.

Last edited:
On the other hand, there were a few posting in that thread who did not "go nuts." Selective attention to those opinions, and who is posting what, helps filter the off the wall stuff, for me anyway.

To be fair, there was one poster in particular who implied he had direct knowledge of the staff's scouting of MD's skill set. He led that parade. That influenced the opinion other, let's just say less knowledgeable, opinions.

I think it'd be fair to say that 85% of the expectations were not met.

You've obviously never seen Jalen Carey play. He's a great offensive player. We didn't recruit him for his defense. That's just dumb.

By the way, we recruited GMac and Johnny Flynn both 6 foot guards. We recruited Alterique Gilbert and Quade Green. Both 6 ft guards. Again, this is simply not true.

Gerry McNamara got recruited like 18 years ago. Boeheim's been a zone-0nly coach for just under 9.

And no single thing factored more heavily in that change than Jonny Flynn himself.

So I don't think you're helping yourself with those examples.

I think it'd be fair to say that 85% of the expectations were not met.

That's probably a little low. I think the percentages of people posting "scouting" opinions that have a meaningful understanding of how to assess talent is pretty low. All of the rest are just being fans and hoping that the hype is true.

Is JB doing a good job managing the roster?

Sanctions aren’t an excuse going forward.

We are going to be in the same boat next year when Howard graduates and Bazley declares. How is this not a problem.

We will never compete in this conference if this is the turnover we have every year.

Managing the roster? What does that even mean? JB has had kids leave for the NBA every year, which is what happens when you recruit well. He's had some bad luck with injuries (McCullough missed 1/2 a season and Sidibe/Moyer/Washington this year, clearinghouse issues-Diagne didn't come. He's had kids transfer at the last minute, like Taurean Thompson and Geno Thorpe. Clearly, sanctions have been an issue. Recruiting to a school that's on probation can't be ideal, right?

Recruiting seems to be getting better, as we move away from probation.

Gerry McNamara got recruited like 18 years ago. Boeheim's been a zone-0nly coach for just under 9.

And no single thing factored more heavily in that change than Jonny Flynn himself.

We played 100% zone when Gmac and Flynn were here. Why would we recruit Quade Green and Gilbert at 6 ft if they don't fit the zone?

Managing the roster? What does that even mean? JB has had kids leave for the NBA every year, which is what happens when you recruit well. He's had some bad luck with injuries (McCullough missed 1/2 a season and Sidibe/Moyer/Washington this year, clearinghouse issues-Diagne didn't come. He's had kids transfer at the last minute, like Taurean Thompson and Geno Thorpe. Clearly, sanctions have been an issue. Recruiting to a school that's on probation can't be ideal, right?

Recruiting seems to be getting better, as we move away from probation.

Preparing for kids to leave early.

We clearly didn’t do a good job vetting Diagne? Who’s fault is that?

We didn’t offer Huerter because we already offered Battle and though Mali would still be here. We got White instead.

We are gambling now that one of Battle and Brissett will be back. I’m not confident they will be. We should have offered Montgomery when he was interested.

Throwing 3 non shooters on the court in 2018 college basketball is not a winning formula.

Last edited:
We played 100% zone when Gmac and Flynn were here. Why would we recruit Quade Green and Gilbert at 6 ft if they don't fit the zone?

No we didn’t. This is a flat out false statement. Look at the game against Kansas in 08 when we played man and 2003 when we played man against Pittsburgh. At least use facts.

That's completely false. I think you're a closer observer than that.

This is a ridiculous thing to argue. Boeheim prefers tall, rangy players. Especially at the top of the zone. (This can't be debatable to any knowledgeable person who's not looking to be argumentative.) Green's an exception because he was a very good prospect who had interest. People do make exceptions to their preferences from time to time.

No we didn’t. This is a flat out false statement. Look at the game against Kansas in 08 when we played man and 2003 when we played man against Pittsburgh. At least use facts.

So, you're pointing to a total of 10 minutes of man to man in the last 20 years? We played 99.999% zone. Happy? Point still remains.

Those are valid points...our approach certainly changed starting in the 2010 season as far as going full on zone.

But still that doesn’t change that Carey is a guard that can score. He doesn’t fit the mold of the “6’5 athlete combo guard that we hope can develop an offensive game” recruit that some are talking about.

That's completely false. I think you're a closer observer than that.

This is a ridiculous thing to argue. Boeheim prefers tall, rangy players. Especially at the top of the zone. (This can't be debatable to any knowledgeable person who's not looking to be argumentative.) Green's an exception because he was a very good prospect who had interest. People do make exceptions to their preferences from time to time.

Right. Like Gmac, Flynn, Quade Green, Alterique Gilbert, Scoop Jardine...

Guys like Eric Devendorf, Tyler Ennis, and Kaleb Joseph are al 6-3 or under. Not especially tall for a guard.

Last edited:
Those are valid points...our approach certainly changed starting in the 2010 season as far as going full on zone.

But still that doesn’t change that Carey is a guard that can score. He doesn’t fit the mold of the “6’5 athlete combo guard that we hope can develop an offensive game” recruit that some are talking about.

Yeah, I don't presume to know a ton about our recruits, but you're trustworthy on this stuff so we can agree to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.