What's the best guess for limited fans? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What's the best guess for limited fans?

I’ve been a fan of Cuomo but him shafting upstate today with not allowing them to move to phase 2 with no real reason as to why is absolutely maddening..would assume that does damage to fans for the fall
the way i read it is that he didnt say upstate couldnt go to phase 2 just that they hadnt finished looking at data and or finalized listings of businesses in phase 2 but i didnt here it live just second hand

the way i read it is that he didnt say upstate couldnt go to phase 2 just that they hadnt finished looking at data and or finalized listings of businesses in phase 2 but i didnt here it live just second hand

yeah, Broome county executive said about 20 mins ago that he talked to Cuomo tonight and said that the data needed to be reviewed and that no areas were moving into phase 2 until the data can be reviewed

yeah, Broome county executive said about 20 mins ago that he talked to Cuomo tonight and said that the data needed to be reviewed and that no areas were moving into phase 2 until the data can be reviewed
its semantics as the numbers are on the web say the regions should be able to go to next phase, i guarantee by monday phase 2 will begin in the 5 regions that opened first on the 14th

its semantics as the numbers are on the web say the regions should be able to go to next phase, i guarantee by monday phase 2 will begin in the 5 regions that opened first on the 14th

I truly hope so, but I have a feeling it’s going to be a week of review. And then you go into it the following week.

McMahon in Syracuse said that CNY is going Phase 2 tomorrow

Yeah Garnar said that earlier today as well, but then has since back tracked off of that.

McMahon in Syracuse said that CNY is going Phase 2 tomorrow

Yup they have all backed off that now due to the call tonight

every time we pause its better for everything except the economy.

I truly hope so, but I have a feeling it’s going to be a week of review. And then you go into it the following week.
the data isnt that complicated to review , im sure they have the data when phase 1 began, and will compare it to now. Shouldnt really take that long so must be the people reviewing are getting paid by the hour

The fact that the seats are currently ripped out of the dome certainly give us a variety of unique reconfiguration options. Realize we will try and pick the best of less than ideal options and some fans will undoubtedly be aggravated as result but if the team want to play we should get over ourselves for their sake.

That said, few thoughts:

Could be as simple as putting plexiglass around the playing surface walls ala hockey to protect the players and staff first and foremost.

Seating could be reinstalled every other row or every third row only potentially with some sort of partition depending on cost.
Left to right seating could be allocated in groups of 4 left to right with gaps of four in between. Want 2 seats? Have to buy 4. Want 6? Buy 8. Etc. Not ideal but I'd pay it to get in and I can't be alone in that. The 4 seat gap could be lowered if some sort of partition is in place but material and install would more than negate gains.

Every other row and 4 seats on/off setup would get max attendance around 12,000 or 2.5 times the Spring game crowd. Traveling fans need not apply, no ticket allocation mandated and can buy secondary blocks if they travel... Though not sure we're they're staying.
Love the idea of mandated gates in and out with partitioning in the halls. Would add concessions of any sort should be vending machine only. No need for extra bodies in the building nor space taken in the halls.

Also curious how hot the dome could intentionally get day before and/or after games for sanitation purposes. Heat on full blast on a Sunny day and some auxiliary heat sources added... Could it hit the magic 133 mark and hold it for 15 mins? Sounds far fetched in the Northeast but really only an Arizona Summer day with 15-20 degrees added.

Just my random musings. I'm sure they have much smarter folks than I working out contingency plans. Go Orange

Yep, still analyzing data. I know there has been an uptick if cases in the Southern Tier.

concessions could all be outside under tents and then none sold inside if they wanted. you get one shot at drinks and food and thats it.

concessions could all be outside under tents and then none sold inside if they wanted. you get one shot at drinks and food and thats it.

Restaurants here have complete app based ordering. Arrive at the concession stand and what you want is labeled waiting for you. Things were headed that way anyway. I guess people could steal it?

8k is what I’ve heard.
I am assuming you re saying 8K for football. That is about 16%. If you use 35k as the basketball limit and apply the same 16% to it, the basketball capacity strips to 5.6K. Switching to center court would result in an increase in capacity of 2.4K. Now, you might be able to put more seats on the floor of the dome and increase capacity a bit more for basketball, taking advantage of the extra space, but with no risers, this would be very limited. Especially with social distancing in place. Severe social distancing. Maybe you could add an extra 500 or 1000.

That would be a massive amount of work for very very little reward. If the 8K number for football is accurate, the idea of moving the court to the 50 yard line makes even less sense. To me anyway.

I haven’t heard of any arena talking about reducing their capacity to dramatically. Maybe this is because of the roof and the thought that there is more exposure because of the lack of air flow? If that is the case, rent some of those giant industrial fans and place them in various places throughout the facility to ensure excellent air flow. Can we still crank up the fans used to hold the roof up for one more year? I think that is the plan. That will help to some degree. Pete Sala said they needed to have a higher pressure inside the building in 2020 for various reasons, and those needs would go away in 2021. Plus, they can keep those giant vents on the walls in the east and west walls open all game long to help improve air flow.

I can say this: there won’t be AC in the dome in 2020. Those first couple of games, if the crowd was asked to deal with strong fans blowing air on them, no one is going to be upset with it. It will be a positive in several ways.

Reducing capacity to 16% is pretty extreme. Using the same X and O scheme I used before, it would look like this:

OOOOOXOOOOOXOOOOOXOOOOOXO...
OOXOOOOOXOOOOOXOOOOOXOOOO...
OOOOOXOOOOOXOOOOOXOOOOOXO...
OOXOOOOOXOOOOOXOOOOOXOOOO...

In actual practice, since SU will allow season tickets controlled by the same person to sit together, I think you are going to see something like this:

OOOOOXXXXOOOOOXXOOOOOXXXO...
XXXOOOOOOOOXOOOOOOXXOOOOO...
OOOOOXXOOOOOOOXXOOOOOXXXO...
XXOOOOOOOXXOOOOOOOXXOOOOO...

If you allow season tickets to remain grouped together, the possible effective capacity increases in a substantial way. In my example, it went from 16% to 28%.

I don’t season ticket ownership patterns. What is the average number of season tickets a season ticket holder controls for football? What is that number for basketball? I am sure there are people who only have 1 ticket for both sports. But the vast majority of people I know who own season tickets own at least 2. Sometimes more. Sometimes substantially more.

It is likely some of these people will not elect to renew all the seats they control. It is surely more likely than ever that season ticket holders will not use all the seats they elect to renew this season, even more so than normal.

But even with an imposed capacity of 16%, it is theoretically possible to get upwards of 25% of seats used.

The new roof is strong enough to hold 10,000 people? I would call that good news.

It’s the new center hung scoreboard.

So long we’re adding capacity.

Yup they have all backed off that now due to the call tonight

They couldn't dare risk the wrath of Cuomo. Vindictive guy no matter how solid he has been in COVID crisis.

Let people bring in food if this is the suggestion. Idk about you or other posters here, but in the cases I have to get concession food and drinks, it's after the game has started and during an intermission. I wouldn't want to be put in a position where I have to buy something to eat or drink only for it to get cold or warm by the time I have a craving. If SU wants to reduce fans at the game, they need to give us leeway as well.

Let people bring in food if this is the suggestion. Idk about you or other posters here, but in the cases I have to get concession food and drinks, it's after the game has started and during an intermission. I wouldn't want to be put in a position where I have to buy something to eat or drink only for it to get cold or warm by the time I have a craving. If SU wants to reduce fans at the game, they need to give us leeway as well.

If they can’t have concessions they won’t allow fans, the goal of the University is to make money with athletics, not to simply entertain and please us.

lots of places have events without food. your $50 seat ticket makes more money than what ever they make on food per person.

lots of places have events without food. your $50 seat ticket makes more money than what ever they make on food per person.

I'm aware of this. I just think that a get it now or you can't get it at all solution isn't a good approach. I'd rather there be no concessions if this is the route they're taking. They're going to lose money this year anyway.

1590758603871.png

It's easy. As Dirty Harry said, "A fan's got to know his limitations."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom