What's with Md's playing time? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What's with Md's playing time?

If Washington was able to play he should have been at point with Tyus at the two. By keeping Tyus at point it allows Buddy to play. This is strange as again IF Howard was good to go why not play a true pg who has proven himself at pg vs playing Tyus out of position with Buddy at the 2. Just sayn...

People saying buddy and Dolezaj play different positions are missing the point. If Dolezaj comes in for buddy, Brissett moves from the 4 to the 3 and Hughes moves from the 3 to the 2.
When Howard and Battle are both healthy, they are going to chew up most of the guard minutes (probably around 70 a night). Carey will likely spell them both, with Buddy and Washington playing situationally and picking up the crumbs. I don't think we'll see much of Hughes at the top of the zone unless either Battle or Howard go down for an extended time with injury.

Hes already played it this year. He came here as a 2, practiced as a 2, then was switched to oracticibgvwith the 3’s at some point last season due to what this years roster was anticipated to be. His handle for a 2 is not bad. He’s not a PG. He gets to the basket pretty well using his handle. Imo his handle is every bit as good as Battles.

When? For a few minutes in an exhibition game where he kept running into the paint when 3’s went up while the long rebounds bounced right to where he should’ve been?

That’s all I’ve seen of him at the 2. Seems like he’s much more comfortable at the 3, at least defensively so I can assume that’s where he’s largely practicing.

If Howard was out long term, perhaps they’d work Hughes at the 2 more. But it seems Boeheim knows Hughes won’t see any minutes at the 2 when Frank is back, so he’s keeping him in his role.

did i not hear a subtle "get with the program " allusion to carey post game ?

I prefer Washington to Carey.
I am not trying to beat this thread to death and I respect the inputs from others that say Washington is not ready and would have been overpowered by the Morehead guards. My only thought was Buddy was not hitting and Jalen seemed to be overmatched - may have been simply freshman jitters. Washington played some last year before the injury and played earlier in the week versus EW but not last night. He may have had a bit better handle last night. We will never know? Possibly he was injured and wasn't available to play. We just don't know. He may be the 3rd option at PG but one is out and two was not working. Maybe it is an early signal he will be redshirted or encouraged to find playing time elsewhere.

and that is a sweet forward rotation ... the minutes will work themselves out game to game

Yup. Just because I liked what Marek showed last year and how he improved, I was a bit surprised when people started saying Hughes would start over him.

Now that I’ve seen Hughes, I completely see why he’s starting. Marek will still be a big contributor.

Yea, right now SU has five non-centers who have proven they can contribute at the d-1 level: Howard, battle, Hughes, dolezaj, and Brissett. Right now, I think it’s clear those are your best guys. Maybe boeheim or Carey get there, and I hope we use some of these early games to find out. But this idea that dolezaj can only take minutes from Brissett or Hughes relies on an odd rigidity about positions that in reality coach boeheim has never been bound by. I don’t see any way that Hughes is less capable of playing guard than josh pace was at playing forward, or mike gbinje was at playing point guard (!), or Andy rautins forward, or rakeem Christmas playing the 4 (or at least starting there), etc.

Best guys offensively, maybe. Chukwu may be in the conversation for ACC Defensive Player of the Year.

moqui if you look at above mpg link rotation is a seldom used concept here.
three of the top five players in the NCAA ? that's the antithesis of rotation.

Last edited:
poy candidate right there
I like Washington a lot but he mentioned he’s not 100 percent. All our guards are very capable but no one is in a groove yet. Hughes is so Smooth and Jalen so fast( really looking to pass alot). Howard W has very high court iq.

Those minutes were necessitated by the lack of healthy bodies available for a good part of the season. You know that, but chose to ignore it then and continue to do so now to further your crusade.

well sadly this ain't a one year phenomenon. we're top 5 every year.
not necessity but a basic coaching philosophy.

Last edited:
well sadly this ain't a one year phenomenon. we're top 5 every year.
I dont seem to remember having quality depth at any position the last few years. Feels like forever. Maybe we had the bodies but they werent doing better than whoever was on the court. I trust JB and staff to come to those conclusions for me.

JB is on record many many times saying kids can play 40. not news people.

Last year is an outlier as far as rotation and distribution of minutes goes. Didn’t we play more than one game with only 6 scholarship players available?

you'd be wrong.

No I wouldn’t be unless you’ve changed what you are arguing. We typically play a 7-8 man rotation depending on how versatile the guys are and who the must play guys are.

Having 3 guys play the minutes that TB FH and OB played is definitely unusual. We had probably the weakest 5th - 8th man depth I can ever remember on an SU team.

Marek earned a starting spot and heavy minutes. They should be his to lose. This doesn’t feel right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom