When Coach gets introduced today… | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When Coach gets introduced today…

If it happens to be his last game, and as Xtreme has pointed out it is really the senior's night and the 2003 players and Gmac and Warrick, do you not really think that there will be a night next season to come and do a proper Coach send off? He may not want the farewell tour, but one game dedicated to him in the next season will surely happen.

Yeah I don't think it happens today. Today is about celebrating. Could I see an out of the blue press conference after the season with a quick retirement, yeah I could. Then a game next season he gets honored. That said it won't kill ya to clap for the guy last game.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think it happens today. Today is about celebrating. Could I see an out of the blue press conference after the season with a quick retirement, yeah I could. Then a game next season he gets honored. That said it won't kill ya to clap for the guy last game.
If he decides to retire let the announcement come after we lose in the ACC tournament. Maybe we win and JB goes out on a high note. That would be fitting.

Yep

Some serious A-holery going on.
But AITAH...really?
I can't see JB making an announcement either before or after this game.
All signs point to his return, and I'm on record saying that, IMO, that'll be a breaking point for the program, & for myself.
In any case if he announces after the season, you dedicate a full day w/ returning former players, tributes from coaches and colleagues, the whole kit & caboodle. Hell, do it vs the Hoyas and break another attendance record while we're at it. I'd come back to the Cuse for that tribute, and I'd bet a lot of my fellow alums would do so as well.
But... I fear he's coming back, so today I'll applaud as usual, but nothing extravagant. Just not in the mood for the "will he or won't he" game. Nothing personal. JMHO

Good atmosphere if we play well and OK even if not people will give Hak and Gerry a good reception.

I think the ugly losing streak combined with the ceremonies makes this a tough one to prepare for certain players weren't even born 20 years ago none of the players remember the 2003 title. And in the portal era even if JB is 100% coming back I doubt anyone on the team is positive they'll return and not going to think about going elsewhere next year. If BC loses we know we play Wake in a game that matters more in 4 days they are down 2 now.

Born to Run?
10th Ave Freeze Out?
Glory Days?

"Why you wanna tell me how to live my life...who are you to tell me if it's black or white...give me one thing I hang onto to get me through the night...I ain't gunna do what I don't want to I'm going to live my life...when the world gets in my face, I say...have a nice day!" ;)

Last edited:
And what if its "misinterpreted" by JB as endorsement to stay the course.
I love the guy too, but not if it means another year after this one. I mean, if he came out and said, "wait this is it"- I'm first in line. But he hasn't, so I won't.
Same old, same old doesn't work for me...not anymore.
Yeah, until there is an announcement, an ovation is an endorsement of the status quo. His 95% in full throat. He chose to do it this way.

Frank Sinatra: My Way

Edit: oh we are talking songs for the 2003 team and not JB. Don't mind me, sometimes I need a minute. Chipwich anyone?

Some folks want to clean house (I’m one who thinks Red as 1A and GMAC 1B on the next staff) but IF they do clean house this could be GMACs last day in the dome for a while I imagine. He’s had a pretty nice 20 yr run as one of the Cuse greats

I’ll be watching him closely for that ‘body language’ stuff.

If this is his last home game, and I am in the camp that hopes it is not, the ovation should be thunderous.
The problem is, no one knows. But we are honoring our National Championship team and the guy who coached it and who has given us thrills (and chills!) aplenty. I think people will stand and cheer.

I’m so old I was in Jim’s class at SU. While this and not all of his years leading basketball have been awesome, his body of work certainly is!
He has been a gift to basketball and our university!
Greg Jones “66”

It will be very telling when he comes out of the tunnel.
We sit right by the tunnel where he and the team come in and out, the usual routine all these years is blinders on walking fast and straightforward, right to the court.

This year more than usual he often comes out in a slow stroll, looking up and around the dome. Not sure if that means anything with respect to his future but I found it possibly a sign of appreciating what he’s created, as someone with 1 foot out the door.

Last edited:
For those saying senior day is not the time to celebrate Jim. The last home game will always be senior day. If he ever did announce it’s a final season. It would always overshadow the seniors. No way around it. Obviously if he did it after a season there would be no send off.

I think folks are misconstruing an ovation for his body of work vs an endorsement of his returning.
Should he get a standing O for the former? Absolutely. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an I d io t.
But, as much as I like JB, I wouldn't put it past him to use a huge ovation as evidence that the fanbase wants him back, that all is right for a huge turnaround next season. He WILL use it to make his case for staying. Mark my words. Jmho

For those saying senior day is not the time to celebrate Jim. The last home game will always be senior day. If he ever did announce it’s a final season. It would always overshadow the seniors. No way around it. Obviously if he did it after a season there would be no send off.

It’s not because it’s senior day but also celebrating the 2003 team and retiring 2 jerseys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom