When Coach gets introduced today… | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

When Coach gets introduced today…

Let’s say JB tells JW that he will pound the portal hard and has the pledged cash to get & retain the players he needs. JB will agree to retire after next season. No possible exceptions. JB wants to leave after leading a NCAA team next year so he can feel he left the program in a good place. JW tells JB he will agree only if Syracuse is allowed to announce now that 2023-24 is JB’s last season. Is this scenario possible?
I don't think JW will go that far to say it's that or get fired now. He's not threatening to fire a hall of famer for only being 3 games over .500. But other than that, this is the outcome i hope for personally.

Let’s say JB tells JW that he will pound the portal hard and has the pledged cash to get & retain the players he needs. JB will agree to retire after next season. No possible exceptions. JB wants to leave after leading a NCAA team next year so he can feel he left the program in a good place. JW tells JB he will agree only if Syracuse is allowed to announce now that 2023-24 is JB’s last season. Is this scenario possible?
Best we can hope for at this stage.

No

I’ll reserve further thoughts until we see how effective we are in the portal this year.

He should retire but it’s just wrong to say Jim’s not still with it, and not capable of taking good pieces and getting the most from them.

The glaring issue is he’s not willing to give the effort to find good pieces and put them on the court these days. I hate it but maybe AW’s money will pick up that slack for him.

This was also a pretty LOL quote. “These teams wouldn’t be able to beat us if they didn’t adapt to present day recruiting”

JB has been saying that he has to come back because he promised players/recruits he would coach them for a few years now.

He won't leave anytime soon, at least not on his own.
This isn't going to end well unfortunately.

I think you are likely right.

Serious questions.

1. Is he trolling the fan base with these latest comments or is he off-his-rocker delusional??

2. Does it matter?

I don't really know what to think.

What I do know is if we have another 2+ years of these sort of eye-thumbing statements to the fanbase, he will strangle and kill any good will he might have hoped to go out with.

(Deservedly) positive, if not overwhelming.

Thought that Boeheim's brief remarks after the game (about the 2003 team) were very gracious.
I was hoping that'd be the moment he retired.

One game where everyone’s emotions are high and memories coming back doesn’t change what has happened the last 9 years and the fact we have missed the tournament 3 of the last 4 years. There is zero reason why JB should coach next year zero. It is time to move on and start over.

The school will look like idiots for letting JB stick around for another year. It looks like he’s going to pitch to JW that he’s going to “pound the portal” to rebuild the roster for next year. I have severe doubts he’ll be able to do so, but I have no doubt he’s pitching that to JW so he’s not forced out.
By JB's words it feels like a foregone conclusion he will not voluntarily give up reigns after this year. He'll exhaust every angle of the transfer portal and leverage the emotions of the weekend as the "support" of the fanbase.

Hard not to get swept away in the spectacle of the weekend. Can Wildhack separate nostalgia vs performance when JB puts the pressure on for one more year? The next few weeks will be a ride, folks.

JB’s on a high after all of the activities over the weekend and the big win. From reliving the championship to Melo hyping him up in front of his current team to honoring Warrick and McNamara, it wasn’t a surprise to see him rejuvenated and defiant in the press conference. Contrast that with his demeanor and words after Georgia Tech. He looked and sounded like he was ready to walk away.

Barring a Cinderella run in the ACCT, I think he’ll come back to earth after the season and truly reflect. At that time, the right people can help talk him into making the right decision. Someone should tell him that 24,000 is well short of capacity. Someone should ask him why so many players from the current roster are transferring or moving on (assuming they do, of course).

We can’t celebrate past glory before every game. Melo doesn’t have time to become a permanent hype man. Not every night can be senior night. JB is already relying on Weitsman to be his de facto GM. He can’t outsource team motivation as well.

It’s still his decision, though. He’s not going to be fired. If you want change, you’re pulling for JW, Juli, Weitsman, and Melo right now. You’re pulling for Vitale, Bob Knight, Coach K, and Digger Phelps. Those are the people who can help him see the light.

The hard truth is JB just isn’t good at his job anymore. No matter what matrix you throw up or want to look at he just looks bad. Offense sucks. Defense sucks. Recruiting sucks. Tournament appearances suck (have missed 3/4 year). Whatever you look at he currently sucks at his job. At his age he just doesn’t magically get better.

We have ZERO impact recruits for next year so this magically bring him back for one last run isn’t going to happen. JB going to pound the portal… lol. Right he is magically going to care about the portal and magically start putting in extra effort in recruiting lol It is way past time for him to go. You guys need to let go.

Have a strange feeling from watching the ceremony videos from yesterday that GMac was saying goodbye. It kind of make sense with the state of the program, and he really can't leap over Red, and seeing JB tarnish his own legacy holding on too long, and not able to make a significant difference...I may be wrong but it has that farewell vibe.

The hard truth is JB just isn’t good at his job anymore. No matter what matrix you throw up or want to look at he just looks bad. Offense sucks. Defense sucks. Recruiting sucks. Tournament appearances suck (have missed 3/4 year). Whatever you look at he currently sucks at his job. At his age he just doesn’t magically get better.

We have ZERO impact recruits for next year so this magically bring him back for one last run isn’t going to happen. JB going to pound the portal… lol. Right he is magically going to care about the portal and magically start putting in extra effort in recruiting lol It is way past time for him to go. You guys need to let go.
Aside from the Empire Classic and the most recent games against Pitt and Georgia Tech, his in-game coaching was fine this season. More talent would net us a few more wins next season (at least), even with the same system. With Weitsman’s commitment to NIL and the ability to Zoom with potential transfers, it’s possible for JB to put more effort into the portal. That potentially solves some problems, but not all. That potentially leads to some success, but not enough.

Have a strange feeling from watching the ceremony videos from yesterday that GMac was saying goodbye. It kind of make sense with the state of the program, and he really can't leap over Red, and seeing JB tarnish his own legacy holding on too long, and not able to make a significant difference...I may be wrong but it has that farewell vibe.
Agree. The way he thanked the community for his and his family’s time there it seemed like a goodbye to me as well.

Agree. The way he thanked the community for his and his family’s time there it seemed like a goodbye to me as well.
So if McNamara takes a HC gig, does Hop replace him on the bench?

Aside from the Empire Classic and the most recent games against Pitt and Georgia Tech, his in-game coaching was fine this season. More talent would net us a few more wins next season (at least), even with the same system. With Weitsman’s commitment to NIL and the ability to Zoom with potential transfers, it’s possible for JB to put more effort into the portal. That potentially solves some problems, but not all. That potentially leads to some success, but not enough.
The offense is a complete disaster and needs to be rebuilt from scratch. Hero ball doesn't work and that seems to be the only offensive strategy we have. The way things are looking, next year we won't have a "hero".

He won't leave anytime soon, at least not on his own.
This isn't going to end well unfortunately.
Yeah unfortunately I didn't listen to his post game press conference when I posted this. I don't know what kind of bubble of delusion in but those cheers were a very nice way of thanking him for everything and its time. Talk about someone not reading the right correctly. Someone needs to tell him it's enough. Those comments about having to finally work the portal were enough for firing alone. Like um no Jim everybody knew this but you. This is why we’re in this mess. This is on Wildhack. He needs to man up and do his job .

I’ll reserve further thoughts until we see how effective we are in the portal this year.

He should retire but it’s just wrong to say Jim’s not still with it, and not capable of taking good pieces and getting the most from them.

The glaring issue is he’s not willing to give the effort to find good pieces and put them on the court these days. I hate it but maybe AW’s money will pick up that slack for him.
Exactly. My huge frustration continues to be: How could you not use the portal LAST SEASON (other than to fill the hole for a backup center)? It’s insane that we went into this year expecting to start Bell or Taylor at small forward. JB’s mantra for years is that most freshman generally aren’t ready. The only freshman who should’ve expected to start was Judah Mintz. I like Bell and Taylor and their potential as upperclassmen. But it was sheer craziness to go into this season expecting one of them to emerge as ACC starting SFs. It’s infuriating that JB actually tried to sell that to callers on his radio show the other night—that he had no choice. The assistants told him we needed to pound the portal but he refused, so that’s all on him 100 percent. An extremely poor decision that most fans on this board were saying was a mistake last spring. We should’ve been a tourney team this year, but JB dropped the ball. And he’s too stubborn and/or blind to acknowledge his failure. Btw, Dasher has also pointed out that Cole might have come back for another season if JB had bothered to re-recruit him to return.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom