Where has the ACC money and Basketball money gone? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where has the ACC money and Basketball money gone?

One important point you didn't mention that makes what you've listed even worse - Kay Yow, the Twerps' AD at the time and now NC State's AD, put together a committee to advise her whether to expand the stadium or not. Her hand-picked committee, unanimously IIRC, told her not to do it but she went ahead with the expansion anyway.

It was a desperate gamble. It was the only potential way out of their financial hole.

SU is not in the same financial hole as was Maryland, but some of our posters on here are suggesting the same sort of strategy. The way to rebuild the football program faster and to head off the apparent decline of basketball is to spend a ton of money on facilities.

The way to improve attendance, they suggest, is to "improve the fan" experience".

Of course, no one knows if this would work well enough or even at all. But it's what they are able to come up with. And as I have pointed out, it's easy to take chances with other people's money.

Go to any baseball fan site and you'll see that the fan answer to all competitive problems lies with the franchise being cheap and not willing to spend mega-bucks on free agents or renewing contracts.

I'm alright with the uncomfortable seats. Just want some locker room upgrades to bring in recruits. Along with more allowed benefits that other schools give.

Many fans are not.

Northwestern is spending $250 million on a new Football facility project and $150 million to renovate their basketball arena and build a practice facility. NU is a private school similar to Cuse. Plus they're paying both of their coaches more than $3 million a year. Why can't we find the money to do a legit renovation of our combined football and basketball facility?? No cheating out. Pony up, SU. This is ridiculous. If you want to compete with the big boys, you need to do things right. As the article states: "there are no half-measures for any major-conference athletic department anymore. You build to win or you lose at a fantastic pace. You’re in, or you’re irrelevant."

Northwestern's ambition clear with extensions for Fitzgerald, Collins

Northwestern has a better relationship with its alumni base than SU does. Syracuse can't get a dime out of its wealthy alumni.

The way to improve attendance, they suggest, is to "improve the fan" experience".
Of course, no one knows if this would work well enough or even at all. But it's what they are able to come up with. And as I have pointed out, it's easy to take chances with other people's money.

You've gotta be kidding. What is it, your money that you think they are looking to spend? It's hard to believe how you are pissing on them actually using some of the money generated by sports to make the sports experience better. Haven't we seen enough evidence? They can't price the tickets much lower for football. "Cheap seats" is not enough. It has to be a more pleasant experience to go to a game.

You've gotta be kidding. What is it, your money that you think they are looking to spend? It's hard to believe how you are pissing on them actually using some of the money generated by sports to make the sports experience better. Haven't we seen enough evidence? They can't price the tickets much lower for football. "Cheap seats" is not enough. It has to be a more pleasant experience to go to a game.

The biggest problem with football is that those game can clock in at 4 hours, doubles the time you put in for a good hoops game.

After subsidizing non-revenue sports and paying the bills, how much is left from season to season to reinvest in the experience? Syracuse wouldn't have the football facility or the Melo Center if it weren't for donations. It's clear that there's not much left to spend after the two aforementioned have been taken care of.

After subsidizing non-revenue sports and paying the bills, how much is left from season to season to reinvest in the experience? Syracuse wouldn't have the football facility or the Melo Center if it weren't for donations. It's clear that there's not much left to spend after the two aforementioned have been taken care of.

They are about to get a $15M/year raise in fees. Take out a loan, for goodness sake.

It's perfectly acceptable to me as an alum that the school take money from Athletics and use it for other purposes whether that be non-sports related programs or or non-sports facilities. The job of the University is to spend its money where it gets the biggest return. They don't seem to agree with you that it's in sports.

The money generated by the Athletic Department doesn't belong to the Athletic Department at Syracuse. The fans aren't entitled to having any surplus spent on "enhancing the fan experience".

When the football team was better, attendance wasn't a problem. The basketball team is #2 in attendance with in the same facility with the same parking, the same concessions, the same seats and the same bathrooms.

I get Syracuse paid about 5 million dollars to leave the Big East and had to leave about 2.5 million in basketball credit money it earned.

Since we have entered the ACC we have

In 2013-2014 we got 20.8 million
ACC: Record $291.7M in revenue for 2013-14

In 2014-2015 we got 26.2 million.
ACC experiences record revenue growth but gap remains wide as rich grow richer

In 2015-2016 we got 31.4 million(Maryland money moved it)
ACC revenue increases $100 million over last year; Syracuse receives $24 million

That is 78.4 million in TV money in 3 years.
That doesn't include basketball revenue. Cusefan0307 just mentioned this what the heck is up with the administration and commitment.

I am glad we stepped up for Dino Babers and paid him. He is worth every cent.

Are we paying off debt Gross racked up? What is up with the Dome renovation. That talk has gone away. It was used a reason to keep Shafer 2 years ago.

Where is the money going?
I read somewhere it was $7.5 million to leave the Big East a year early - same as Pitt, since the two left early before serving 27 months in limbo. The basketball credits were left behind - was that the other $2.5 million, or were they in addition to the $7.5 million?

Syracuse to leave Big East year early, in July

I read somewhere it was $7.5 million to leave the Big East a year early - same as Pitt, since the two left early before serving 27 months in limbo. The basketball credits were left behind - was that the other $2.5 million, or were they in addition to the $7.5 million?

Syracuse to leave Big East year early, in July
They paid 5 million and forfeited 2.5 million in basketball credits they were due.
Thus they paid 7.5 million when you factor in the basketball credits but the university only paid 5 million in cash.

They paid 5 million and forfeited 2.5 million in basketball credits they were due.
Thus they paid 7.5 million when you factor in the basketball credits but the university only paid 5 million in cash.
Thanks - that was a fair deal, and if the ACC $$ hits $45 million a year in several years that will be like SEC level $$ right now. The ESPN SEC channel is making the SEC more $$ than the BTN. I can only hope the ESPN ACC channel will be nearly as good - then you guys will have a caviar and Cadillac AD. Just imagine what the ACC schools can do with that level of resources. I would still just replace the roof and put the savings into better seating, concessions, bathrooms, FB and BB locker rooms, and whatever else to improve the experience for fans and players.

Well, the roof has to be replaced at a point in time.

But I don't think the "Taj Mahal" approach has got the payback necessary.
You think we should replace the roof, tweak the seating, etc. and call it a day?
When your ship is sinking it is time to man the pumps. Basketball is sinking, football sunk a long time ago. At one time we made bold moves and we did it a time when we had far fewer financial resources. in addition, we are facing major coaching uncertainties. Facilities are of great importance to top recruits. They are prima donnas - ever notice that NBA players live extravagantly? Do you think that they would prefer skytop to a palatial dorm where they are catered to for everything from height adhusted furniture to in-house chef service? Do you think that programs like OR, Kansas, AZ, Kentucky are reckless with their spending? True, there are no guarantees. That is not a reasonable explanation for not making our facilities second to none, especially now that we can afford it. The risk is justified by our dire circumstances. We used to compete for the Big East title year after year. We worried about seeding, not about making it to the dance. We lost our football prominence. What makes you think that we cannot lose our basketball prominence? The reason I am worried is that it is hard to recover once a program loses prominence.

Last edited:
You think we should replace the roof, tweak the seating, etc. and call it a day?
When your ship is sinking it is time to man the pumps. Basketball is sinking, football sunk a long time ago. At one time we made bold moves and we did it a time when we had far fewer financial resources. in addition, we are facing major coaching uncertainties. Facilities are of great importance to top recruits. They are prima donnas - ever notice that NBA players live extravagantly? Do you think that they would prefer skytop to a palatial dorm where they are catered to for everything from height adhusted furniture to in-house chef service? Do you think that programs like OR, Kansas, AZ, Kentucky are reckless with their spending? True, there are no guarantees. That is not a reasonable explanation for not making our facilities second to none, especially now that we can afford it. The risk is justified by our dire circumstances. We used to compete for the Big East title year after year. We worried about seeding, not about making it to the dance. We lost our football prominence. What makes you think that we cannot lose our basketball prominence?

Not just recruits. Elite coaches want to see a financial commitment as well.

When your ship is sinking it is time to man the pumps. Basketball is sinking, football sunk a long time ago. At one time we made bold moves and we did it a time when we had far fewer financial resources. in addition, we are facing major coaching uncertainties. Facilities are of great importance to top recruits. They are prima donnas - ever notice that NBA players live extravagantly? Do you think that they would prefer skytop to a palatial dorm where they are catered to for everything from height adhusted furniture to in-house chef service? Do you think that programs like OR, Kansas, AZ, Kentucky are reckless with their spending? True, there are no guarantees. That is not a reasonable explanation for not making our facilities second to none, especially now that we can afford it. The risk is justified by our dire circumstances. We used to compete for the Big East title year after year. We worried about seeding, not about making it to the dance. We lost our football prominence. What makes you think that we cannot lose our basketball prominence? The reason I am worried is that it is hard to recover once a program loses prominence.

Oregon has a blank check from Nike. Kansas, Kentucky and Arizona (to a lesser extent) has boosters who are willing to spend money.

What is the common thread among those four schools? They are all public. For SU to have been on the national landscape as long as it has while being a private university is a miracle in itself. They've done a lot with a little. They aren't Duke where their alumni not only bleed the colors, but give back regularly. The current administration needs to repair ties to big name alumni and those who have been very successful outside of SU, not just for athlete dorms, but the betterment of the entire university.

"The risk is justified by our dire circumstances."

Which dire circumstances are these?

You post to me seems like a lot of emotion and hand-wringing masquerading as logic.

The sky is not falling. The world is not coming to an end. Russian troops have not advanced as far as Utica.

Now some fans might be disappointed. But that's hardly an emergency requiring the University to spend megabucks on athletic facilities.

Is SU actually being smart in their decisions? ESPN just had lay offs due to a decrease in subscriptions. Could this lead to a less money being doled out for TV rights down the road when the contract is done? Could cuts in state aid by the federal government lead to less money for colleges? Could future decisions by the power 5 conferences lead to a shift in future alignments(power 4?)?

I still think SU should be pro-active with the athletics spending but there has to be a balance. They must upgrade the educational facilities also and pay the professors to keep competitive with the other private schools and state schools.

Is SU actually being smart in their decisions? ESPN just had lay offs due to a decrease in subscriptions. Could this lead to a less money being doled out for TV rights down the road when the contract is done? Could cuts in state aid by the federal government lead to less money for colleges? Could future decisions by the power 5 conferences lead to a shift in future alignments(power 4?)?

I still think SU should be pro-active with the athletics spending but there has to be a balance. They must upgrade the educational facilities also and pay the professors to keep competitive with the other private schools and state schools.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying and they probably are being smart, the problem is they may be overdoing it.

The lack of spending is obviously hurting recruiting on the basketball end and I think it's 50/50 right now where football is heading. That said, if we don't get into the game of dishing out more than we are now to have the facilities and perks to these programs then we're going to fall and probably very fast.

I don't disagree with anything you're saying and they probably are being smart, the problem is they may be overdoing it.

The lack of spending is obviously hurting recruiting on the basketball end and I think it's 50/50 right now where football is heading. That said, if we don't get into the game of dishing out more than we are now to have the facilities and perks to these programs then we're going to fall and probably very fast.

Outside of not paying Quade Greene how is a "lack of spending" hurting hoops?

How can the University overdo being smart?

One important point you didn't mention that makes what you've listed even worse - Kay Yow, the Twerps' AD at the time and now NC State's AD, put together a committee to advise her whether to expand the stadium or not. Her hand-picked committee, unanimously IIRC, told her not to do it but she went ahead with the expansion anyway.

Is Kay Yow related to Debbie Yow?

Outside of not paying Quade Greene how is a "lack of spending" hurting hoops?

Exactly how I said. We were ahead of the curve with the Melo Center and it produced excellent recruiting classes and some of our best regular seasons ever. Now we're behind the curve and recruiting is not exactly how it used to be. What happened 5-10 years from now if we don't make big changes?

Exactly how I said. We were ahead of the curve with the Melo Center and it produced excellent recruiting classes and some of our best regular seasons ever. Now we're behind the curve and recruiting is not exactly how it used to be. What happened 5-10 years from now if we don't make big changes?

How are we behind the curve in basketball? We were on probation and we lost a coach to his father's alma mater but after that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom