Where have the parent posters gone? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Where have the parent posters gone?

I'd also like to point out: parent posters are currently posting on other Syracuse-related boards without incident. Funny how that happens.

jekelish said:
I'd also like to point out: parent posters are currently posting on other Syracuse-related boards without incident. Funny how that happens.

Shafer is now gone and his employment as the HC is not a lightening rod?

I moved over to this board from the Skout one. I posted a bit and then stopped for a long time because the amount of a$$clowns that posted ridiculous stuff towards others. Finally started posting again this season, got attacked by a few people since then. I just laugh it off at this point and feel sorry about people that have to come after people on message boards.

jekelish said:
This is from before he was gone, actually. But let's keep saying that's the only thing driving people away.

There's a lot of great posters that have been driven away over the years. You aren't telling us anything. We've also driven out many bad posters and trolls. But there's a fine line between allowing for opinions and out right bashing people. This is still by far the best community of fans and it has been that way for a long long time.

There's a lot of great posters that have been driven away over the years. You aren't telling us anything. We've also driven out many bad posters and trolls. But there's a fine line between allowing for opinions and out right bashing people. This is still by far the best community of fans and it has been that way for a long long time.
I've been around this group for almost 20 years now. Do you think you're telling me something I don't know?

There are awful posters, and there are overly sensitive posters, and there are great posters, and there are mediocre posters, and so on, and so on. I just find it funny that parents are getting along just fine at other message boards, while here, people are constantly telling them they have no place here. That bothers me.

It's not tempertantrum.com either

I don't think theres been a lot of overtly bad stuff...and TBH I doubt it'd make a difference. For a lot of kids /parents their loyalty is to the coach more than the University.

jekelish said:
I've been around this group for almost 20 years now. Do you think you're telling me something I don't know? There are awful posters, and there are overly sensitive posters, and there are great posters, and there are mediocre posters, and so on, and so on. I just find it funny that parents are getting along just fine at other message boards, while here, people are constantly telling them they have no place here. That bothers me.

We've had parents here for 20 years. Some stay and some don't. They are always welcome and we would never tell them not to post here but it can be tough being a parent and reading things you don't like.

They are always welcome and we would never tell them not to post here but it can be tough being a parent and reading things you don't like.
We have someone in this exact thread saying parents have no place here. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I could have sworn I've seen you, yourself, say the same thing in the past.

I agree but would only cite the football side...the hoops side is unreadable.

I agree but would only cite the football side...the hoops side is unreadable.
I was actually thinking we have a much better track record with basketball parents. Hell, BJ Johnson's dad still posts and his son isn't even here anymore.

I was actually thinking we have a much better track record with basketball parents. Hell, BJ Johnson's dad still posts and his son isn't even here anymore.

That's because people don't cr@p all over his posts and argue with him.

I miss the insights and "inside info" of Bam, BCubs, etc - it's one of the main things that drew me to this forum.
It's a bummer that they've been driven away, or made to feel unwelcome, etc.
Hopefully they and their sons remain with Syracuse moving forward, and we can hear more about their experiences, etc.

That's because people don't cr@p all over his posts and argue with him.

I miss the insights and "inside info" of Bam, BCubs, etc - it's one of the main things that drew me to this forum.
It's a bummer that they've been driven away, or made to feel unwelcome, etc.
Hopefully they and their sons remain with Syracuse moving forward, and we can hear more about their experiences, etc.

Haha, what? BJ's dad challenged certain posters to one on one basketball games and he wanted to fight one or two last year when things got out of hand.

Haha, what? BJ's dad challenged certain posters to one on one basketball games and he wanted to fight one or two last year when things got out of hand.

OK, I guess I missed that. LOL.

Hafta admit - would have loved to hear about the results of a BJ's dad and random Syrfan flamer 1-on-1 game. :p
I know who my $ would have been on.

It's the internet. It brings out the worst in some people.
That said - I am a HUGE fan of the Ignore feature here. :cool:

Not that this opinion matters, but I do think there's a place for parents on the board, but it takes an unusual kind of parent that will want to hang. Their proximity to the program generally increases their sensitivity to certain things, and that's fair - they have more at stake. It can be hard for some of them though to discern between discussion and criticism, so environment wise some of them probably just don't want to be hear and even have a debate.

Not that this opinion matters, but I do think there's a place for parents on the board, but it takes an unusual kind of parent that will want to hang. Their proximity to the program generally increases their sensitivity to certain things, and that's fair - they have more at stake. It can be hard for some of them though to discern between discussion and criticism, so environment wise some of them probably just don't want to be hear and even have a debate.

There's a fundamental difference in loyalty that can make things a little akward when things aren't going well.
It's not a bad thing and I like having parents here. But the dynamic can definitely get weird as we've seen.

jekelish said:
We have someone in this exact thread saying parents have no place here. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I could have sworn I've seen you, yourself, say the same thing in the past.

Advising a parent that this may be a rough ride and saying they are not welcome are two different messages.

If a parent emails me and is on the fence about posting...i advise them to run away like the wind.

But if they say they understand the difficulties and want to be post...have at it.

jekelish said:

Big difference between saying it may not be for the best and not allowing them. The only person I have ever known to tell parents not to post was Marrone.

I've been around this group for almost 20 years now. Do you think you're telling me something I don't know?

There are awful posters, and there are overly sensitive posters, and there are great posters, and there are mediocre posters, and so on, and so on. I just find it funny that parents are getting along just fine at other message boards, while here, people are constantly telling them they have no place here. That bothers me.

Whatever problems they had here, will follow them at other sites. Assuming the other fan sites actually have a pulse.

Parents + Internet Fans = Oil + Water

The parents are all good people and are definitely vested in this program at a totally different level and have a different type of relationship with the coaches than any "fan" on a forum. Right now they are all in a wait and see mode with this new staff and it is probably best for them not to be involved with this forum. I know that I wouldn't post on here if I had a child playing any sport for SU... the level of ignorant commentary can be overwhelming.
Yup. If i were a parent, I would only venture into the game threads.:eat popcorn:

Yup. If i were a parent, I would only venture into the game threads.:eat popcorn:

oh for sure. That's the board at it's very best. :) I tried to read those threads a couple times and started thinking "I'm missing some of the action for this????""

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom