Where have the parent posters gone? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where have the parent posters gone?

Big difference between saying it may not be for the best and not allowing them. The only person I have ever known to tell parents not to post was Marrone.
Really? Marrone actually told parents not to post?

OburgOrange said:

Yes sir.

Probably more so to keep the inside information from practice, locker room etc in house.

Back to the topic at hand, more than 65% of FBS coaches have been at their current institution for less than 4 years. Turnover is high. Unless your kid goes to a factory or recent top 10 team, chances are he will have a new coach and maybe system in his life.

I'd also like to point out: parent posters are currently posting on other Syracuse-related boards without incident. Funny how that happens.

Said parent at times was almost as obnoxious as some of the "trolls" referenced here. I really don't think blasting coaches, complaining about playing time, and threatening other posters is something a player's parent should do.

In fact, if that poster wasn't a parent I have a feeling he may have been sent to time out on a few occasions.

I don't think theres been a lot of overtly bad stuff...and TBH I doubt it'd make a difference. For a lot of kids /parents their loyalty is to the coach more than the University.

Game threads are absolutely brutal.

Ok, but that's not unique to our fan base.

It's not but their kids aren't playing for other teams. They're playing for this one. Would they run into it with any school's fanbase? Probably. Still doesn't make it right.

It's not but their kids aren't playing for other teams. They're playing for this one. Would they run into it with any school's fanbase? Probably. Still doesn't make it right.

But isn't that what a message board is? A place where fans can share there thoughts with other fans? Not all opinions are going to be the same. So it is natural arguments will happen. A parent or anyone should know by now what a message board is about. It is about people sharing there opinions. If they don't want to be subject to others opinions then they shouldn't be on the board. If just want to hear the good things about the coaching staff or son during back to back losing seasons then a message board probably isn't the place for that.

A game thread is way worse because fans are making opinions based on what just happened in the game. Everyone should stay out of those LOL.

But isn't that what a message board is? A place where fans can share there thoughts with other fans? Not all opinions are going to be the same. So it is natural arguments will happen. A parent or anyone should know by now what a message board is about. It is about people sharing there opinions. If they don't want to be subject to others opinions then they shouldn't be on the board. If just want to hear the good things about the coaching staff or son during back to back losing seasons then a message board probably isn't the place for that.

A game thread is way worse because fans are making opinions based on what just happened in the game. Everyone should stay out of those LOL.
When your (not you per se) opinion is that someone's child is no good, doesn't belong on the field, should transfer, etc., thatgoes beyond the pale for a parent.
I had a tangential experience here with a player who I knew well. I could not stomach some of the things that people said about him, and he wasn't my kid. I could not imagine reading that stuff about my own kid.

Last edited:

I'm old fashioned... well yeah I am just plain old..so yes posters can have differing opinions but you can also express those opinions in a civil manner. We can argue our position in a manner that doesn't become derisive or bullying.

Try being a mod keeping an eye on a game thread when things aren't going well. Oh Lord

That's why I brought it up - it's literally impossible for you guys to police that real time. People basically have carte blanche to post whatever they want and they take full advantage of it.

I'm old fashioned... well yeah I am just plain old..so yes posters can have differing opinions but you can also express those opinions in a civil manner. We can argue our position in a manner that doesn't become derisive or bullying.

That's basically what I'm getting at.

We used to have arguments on this forum like 10 years ago as to whether recruits read this forum. And at the time, there were posters that insisted that it was impossible that they did. Look where we are now. The game has changed as far as the internet is concerned. People though are still using the "it's the internet", "no one knows who I am", or "no one reads this forum" excuses as a cop out for bad behavior just like using the "I drank too many beers" to explain why they decided to hurl a bunch of profanities at sporting events when there are numerous little kids around.

Time and a place.

That's why I brought it up - it's literally impossible for you guys to police that real time. People basically have carte blanche to post whatever they want and they take full advantage of it.
Absolutely with the chat room going and a live game thread it can get crazy. Especially when it is a home game and there might be just two of us available to monitor things.
LOL.. yeah but if they are very,very bad they get an all expense paid vacation compliments of rrlbees. ;)

Thoughts, opinions, educated discussions - those things aren't driving parents off this forum. And if I think you asked the parents they'd agree.

That's basically what I'm getting at.

We used to have arguments on this forum like 10 years ago as to whether recruits read this forum. And at the time, there were posters that insisted that it was impossible that they did. Look where we are now. The game has changed as far as the internet is concerned. People though are still using the "it's the internet", "no one knows who I am", or "no one reads this forum" excuses as a cop out for bad behavior just like using the "I drank too many beers" to explain why they decided to hurl a bunch of profanities at sporting events when there are numerous little kids around.

Time and a place.

I think some posters don't even think about the fact that, yes you are posting on this forum but it isn't contained on here...what you say is just a google away on the internet.

Some left the chatroom knowing that it was monitored so they could go wild on the board with immediate and volume postings too.

tep624 said:
Thoughts, opinions, educated discussions - those things aren't driving parents off this forum. And if I think you asked the parents they'd agree.

How many parents were posting here? 3-4? None of their kids were talked bad about and only 1 played. If they got tired of anything it was the negativity of 3-9 and 4-8 and the calls for Shafer to be let go. And of those 3-4 I know for a fact one didn't leave because of the negativity.

How many parents were posting here? 3-4? None of their kids were talked bad about and only 1 played. If they got tired of anything it was the negativity of 3-9 and 4-8 and the calls for Shafer to be let go. And of those 3-4 I know for a fact one didn't leave because of the negativity.

I was tired of the negativity, and I was in favor of letting Shafer go, I didn't care if it meant that we had kids transfer or lost recruits, etc. If I'm in that boat and was basically nauseated by the constant negativity, then I can't imagine how they'd feel having a kid on the team.

Thats why I don't spend much time there.

Over 2 years ago I was looking for a place to learn more about SU athletics. I stumbled upon syracusefan; and I was hooked. My favorite part was /is the football and basketball recruiting boards. I really appreciate all of the posters. then SU Basketball started recruiting a player from my hometown. This site became my crack.

I can see why why parents left for a while. (Hopefully) This fall, the football board, to me, turned into a version of Lord of the Flies. Instead of Kill the Pig, it was Fire the Incompetent. I am glad that is over; and we all will get behind the new staff. Then maybe, the parents all come back. I enjoyed their insight.

CIL said:
Said parent at times was almost as obnoxious as some of the "trolls" referenced here. I really don't think blasting coaches, complaining about playing time, and threatening other posters is something a player's parent should do. In fact, if that poster wasn't a parent I have a feeling he may have been sent to time out on a few occasions.

And too many here essentially gave said parent rock star status, so the moment he hears something he doesn't like...

Depending on the parent, kissing their a$$ all the time can just empower them, and makes the board less enjoyable.

And too many here essentially gave said parent rock star status, so the moment he hears something he doesn't like...

Depending on the parent, kissing their a$$ all the time can just empower them, and makes the board less enjoyable.
So true!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom