Where have the parent posters gone? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Where have the parent posters gone?

It's got to be tough on a parent. Nobody likes hearing that their kid isn't as great/awesome/fantastic as they think he/she is. High level college sports bring out a little more fanaticism and even objective criticism (X isn't good at this, X should do this instead) can be seen as a personal insult in the cold text of the internet.
Ironically, calling out the players wasn't the issue on the FB side. It evolved ,overtime, as the parents got sick of the staff bashing.

But especially a parent . Who cares if Anomander or CuseLegacy say something. They are a screen name. Our user names have no SSN. Everyone knows so and so's Dad is over the top ridiculous.
I wonder if you and others would post differently if your avatar was your actual picture and people knew where to find you and what your name is...sometimes anonymity is not a great thing. It encourages cowardice and rudeness, as well as lack of respect. Why do the rules of engagement differ on a forum as opposed to real life? I have a feeling there would be several folks on here that would be not allowed to post because of too many concussions if this were an in-person board.

I don't think anyone on here is worship worthy. Bad behavior is just that and there was/is plenty to go all around. My point isn't about how parents are treated on here or how they behave but all posters. Some on here think the louder, more derisive and bullying they are the better to get their point across without any regards to anyone elses opinion or point of view. It's like having a board full of Donald Trumps.

This, unfortunately, is just a microcosm of one of the many things wrong with our society today. Civility & Manners are dead.

It not good for a parent to post after a loss and insist that his kid did nothing wrong while throwing all of his kid's teammates under the bus.

Was that when USF ran for 700 yards but none of them were up the middle, it was always to the outside and was all the fault of the terrible linebackers and safeties?

That was funny.

A$$ kissing of parents comes in many flavors. When they post how great their son played in a loss where his unit was pushed backwards, and 7,000 people click like, well what does the parent end up thinking?

Most of us have to work for those likes. You know how hard it is to keep coming up with this material?

As IB said, Lemon's dad, and others who have been here (Konrad's), were pretty level headed guys who just clearly loved their sons. But not to the point of making the board uncomfortable.

Fine line, and if you're on the wrong side of it, it's in everyone's best interest, including your son, if you just don't post here. Football internet forums can be as bad as it gets. To think our little community is anywhere near as bad as it gets is just comical.

Arguing about the star rating system with the father of a two star recruit isnt even fair.

Just putting it out there.

My theory on the game day threads and the reason why certain people post repetitively the way they do in those threads is that no human can tolerate watching a game with them in the same room so this is their only outlet :D

OttoMets said:
Wow, someone had to say it. Well put. It does strike me that having parent posters around here can put the moderators into an uncomfortable position.
Yeah...moderators tend to "whince" when parents start posting.

Chip said:
Was that when USF ran for 700 yards but none of them were up the middle, it was always to the outside and was all the fault of the terrible linebackers and safeties? That was funny.

I'm not sure I remember that - but that is pretty accurate on re-watch. We lost contain on outside runs far, far more than we got blown up in the middle.

I've learned that it's better to be an jerk with no ties to the team than it is to be a jerk with a kid on the team.

"The holiness of objectivity"

Great thread. :(

I'm not sure I remember that - but that is pretty accurate on re-watch. We lost contain on outside runs far, far more than we got blown up in the middle.
You are correct. I remember yelling RUN TO THE OUTSIDE multiple times as the plan was happening...15 yards later...we contained the middle a lot better. I also believe there was talk about how poorly sugar bear was playing versus the run.

Oh I'm still here. The thread that pushed me out was deleted at my request so if you didn't catch it it is long gone. I still read here though. I still interact with lots of people here. I'm just done arguing with people who know more than me. But don't worry I'm still here

It's not ass-kissing to tell a player's parent that you hope their son does well. Nor is it ass-kissing to be excited when a player commits. It's okay to point out that player so and so didn't have a stellar game, and what reasons you felt that they were substandard in their level of play. It isn't okay to verbally slash and burn the player.

Let's analyze this a second. We, supposedly fans of SU, hope that a player does well? Duh! Every fan of every team with an ounce of sense in them hopes that the players do well. Generally, when the players do well, the team does well. That is the essence of being a fan (in case some of you forgot, it can be hard to tell sometimes.)

A player commits. Obviously, they were chosen by the coaching staff as someone good enough to play for SU. We should be excited. That's what fans do.

Also, every player has bad games from time to time. It is one of those endearing qualities of humans. We make mistakes. Even the best players have a stinker from time to time. They just have them less frequently than us normal humans. Of course, as fans, there is no room for mistakes. There is no room for bad games. The unique anonymity of the internet allows us to be superhuman in our abilities, and as such, have no room for mere humans and their innate fallibility.

At this point, it is virtually impossible to endure the vileness of an in-game chat. They used to be enjoyable, now they are just unbearable. I think some people should go back and read what they have written during and immediately after games sometime, and think about whether you really want the words you have written to be a representation of who you are.

I wonder if you and others would post differently if your avatar was your actual picture and people knew where to find you and what your name is...sometimes anonymity is not a great thing. It encourages cowardice and rudeness, as well as lack of respect. Why do the rules of engagement differ on a forum as opposed to real life? I have a feeling there would be several folks on here that would be not allowed to post because of too many concussions if this were an in-person board.

Why would I care if people knew what I looked like? I have been a member of the SyracuseFan Facebook page for years. Here i'm so ashamed of what I have to say i'm going to change my avatar for you. And I live on the west side of Syracuse, NY. I'm sure you'll do the same thing since you're usually so quick to put someone in place.

All I meant by my original post was people know him as a parent, so he should be smarter with what he says.

This board was becoming Syracuse.com like for a while at the end of the season, a number of new posters added to the problem. I just bypassed the posts that were nonsense, being on the internet you can't take things people say personally. Also you can't argue with some people, because they are always right, so I don't try.

Someones going to have to lay down some specific ground rules on what constitutes "bashing" of the staff.

College kids are one thing. Grown men earning a million dollars to coach a game is another.
Bashing is a commentary on character. Criticism is a commentary on play or decisions.

BKCuse said:
This board has been going for 20 years?!? Holy crap that's awesome!

Yes, at different locations. Same community.

Bashing is a commentary on character. Criticism is a commentary on play or decisions.
this is probably right. Unfortunately, seemingly in the minds of most around here, bashing is what the people who disagree with your side do and criticism is what your side does.

If anything we've been going out of our way to NOT bash the coaches then.

The common theme was that HCSS was a great guy, people wanted him to be successful, but he was clearly in over his head.
I agree with that.

docsu said:
If anything we've been going out of our way to NOT bash the coaches then. The common theme was that HCSS was a great guy, people wanted him to be successful, but he was clearly in over his head.

Little bit of revisionist history. There was a lot of nasty stuff mixed in too.

But on the whole? Yep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom