Where's Carmelo gonna end up next season? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Where's Carmelo gonna end up next season?

I believe there was some friction between the two at the end of Chandler's run in NY.

My main question is does this indicate Melo has softened on where he's willing to accept a deal to, or is Phil just being Phil? (I know which way I'm leaning)
I think after this past season, and with Phil apparently entrenched in NY, Melo will finally want out. For the sake of his sanity and happiness, I hope it happens for him.

If Carmelo is smart he says I won't waive my no trade I want to be a Knick and it kills public support against Philip Jackson.

Philip can't move and if he doesn't want Melo waive him or pay him to sit.

What you don't think it's smart to call 3 pointers "cheap points"?

Just comes off as a bitter old man!

I have full confidence he will screw up this draft and skip on a PG because Rose is coming back to take Allen, Collins, or Markkanen.

If Carmelo is smart he says I won't waive my no trade I want to be a Knick and it kills public support against Philip Jackson.

Philip can't move and if he doesn't want Melo waive him or pay him to sit.
The only opinion about Phil that matters is Dolan's, and he seems to want him around. Melo knows the clock is ticking on his career, and although he would prefer to play in NY, he must know things are not likely to change for the better there anytime soon.

I have full confidence he will screw up this draft and skip on a PG because Rose is coming back to take Allen, Collins, or Markkanen.
Bill Simmons just suggested
Jae Crowder and Brooklyn 2017 pick guaranteed to be at worst 4 but best odds at 1st for KP.
Knicks could get a stud PG and Markkanen.

I'm no longer scared of Rose coming back. I would like to come away with a PG; though I guess so much depends on where they pick. Fox is still my guy

The only opinion about Phil that matters is Dolan's, and he seems to want him around. Melo knows the clock is ticking on his career, and although he would prefer to play in NY, he must know things are not likely to change for the better there anytime soon.

And this is really the crux of the problem. We can get upset with Phil, but who put him in this position and kept him there?

Dolan has made so many bad decisions I've lost count.

And this is really the crux of the problem. We can get upset with Phil, but who put him in this position and kept him there?

Dolan has made so many bad decisions I've lost count.
That kazoo video being the most surreal of them!

Carmelo seems to have all the power here...And it seems he's going to use it.

Jae Crowder and Brooklyn 2017 pick guaranteed to be at worst 4 but best odds at 1st for KP.
As a celtics fan, I love that deal. Give me a seven footer who can shoot and will develop into a nice defender. Not sure it's an upgrade for the Knicks. Crowder can help them, but they would be rolling the dice on that pick. I feel they have a sure thing in KP

Last season he gave it a shot to try and win w Melo by acquiring Rose, Jennings, Lee, and Noah plus he had drafted Porzingus. It sure looked like it was going to be a playoff team. Unfortunately, the talent never jelled .

This is 2017 not 2012.

Sorry to say, but the majority of people who follow the NBA who are not Knicks homers did not see that as a playoff team.

Bill Simmons is an idiot. Any trade idea involving the Celtics ends with them getting the way better deal. Knicks would laugh at that offer.

Bill Simmons is an idiot. Any trade idea involving the Celtics ends with them getting the way better deal. Knicks would laugh at that offer.
I think the Celtics should keep their picks. They're going to have the room to add players via free agency. They're the current top seed in the East.

They could be looking at building a dynasty.

not trianglerific enough

http://nypost.com/2017/04/14/phil-jackson-tells-the-world-its-time-for-carmelo-to-go/

It really started with Carmelo doing it to himself. He wanted to leave Denver for NY and he wanted the max for himself.
It forced the knicks to strip the cupboards bare to obtain him so they could give him the home team max deal. Melo could have just left Denver as a free agant & signed with the Knicks giving up nothing. At that time the Knicks had a nice young nucleus featuring Gallinari and Chandler and Melo would have been a great fit with that group. Instead, it stripped the Knicks of all of their young assets plus future draft picks. They had nothing left to build with & get some pieces around him.

Phil came in and re-signed Carmelo, but as a result of the Denver deal and the Bargnani deal the Knicks still had zero assets. Phil has now been in three years. Last season he gave it a shot to try and win w Melo by acquiring Rose, Jennings, Lee, and Noah plus he had drafted Porzingus. It sure looked like it was going to be a playoff team. Unfortunately, the talent never jelled & the Knicks got worse & worse as the season progressed (until tank time, when, of course, they decided to win a few meaningless games that cost them some ping pong balls).

Phil has certainly made some mistakes. His biggest being the Noah signing, but say what you will, Phil has drafted well when given the chance and he has held onto and even acquired additional draft picks.

For the first time, in terms of young assets and draft picks Phil has the Knicks back to at least ground zero. It will be a multi-year rebuilding process. Melo does not need to be a part of that. I do have an issue with the dis-respect Phil has shown Melo, but maybe there was no other way to get Melo to the point of waiving his no-trade clause.

As a Knick fan and as a Melo fan, I hope the likely soon to be parting of the ways works out well for both parties.

It seems to me that you're implying that it's Melo's fault that the Knicks traded for him instead of waiting until free agency to try to sign him.

It seems to me that you're implying that it's Melo's fault that the Knicks traded for him instead of waiting until free agency to try to sign him.

Melo was pretty clear he didn't want to wait until free agency, he wanted to sign an extension before a potential lockout. He was basically playing the Knicks and the Nets against one another.

I think the Celtics should keep their picks. They're going to have the room to add players via free agency. They're the current top seed in the East.

They could be looking at building a dynasty.

I would be very surprised by this. Their best shot at becoming a dynasty would probably have included cashing in some of their chips for Butler or George. (Which to be fair, could still happen)

I would be very surprised by this. Their best shot at becoming a dynasty would probably have included cashing in some of their chips for Butler or George. (Which to be fair, could still happen)
In the short term, yeah, but in the long term if you can have two team controlled stars for 8 years each on rookie contracts and mini maxes... if you're confident in your ability to draft and develop, and I believe Ainge is, why take on the contract money now for stars when you should be a top notch free agent destination with the talent already there?

Melo has handled this superbly but the fact of the matter is his game is regressing with age, and some of Jackson's criticisms of his game are true (see why Stevens and the Celtics weren't interested). KP needs to be the man, and I think it would help Melo to come out and say this. Put some of the heat on KP to grind Phil. KP has more sway with Knick fans than Melo. Melo has had a great run as the Alpha Dog, but his game is at the stage where he needs to be the 2nd in command.

Melo was pretty clear he didn't want to wait until free agency, he wanted to sign an extension before a potential lockout. He was basically playing the Knicks and the Nets against one another.

It's still the Knicks who took the chance. Admittedly it's a primadonna move by Melo if that's how it went (I don't really remember) but that's not sole blame to him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom