Who is the greatest PG in SU history? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Who is the greatest PG in SU history?

Who is the greatest PG in SU history?

• Total voters
Jake--you'd make a great tabloid reporter.

And for the record, some of those criticisms aren't underselling anything. Pearl WAS lazy. He DID take games off. He WAS out of shape. He DIDN'T always play hard [do you honestly dispute any of that?]. When he did, when the bright lights were on, he was phenomenal. But to point out some of his less flattering tendencies isn't exaggerating those shortcomings.

I don't think its a debate [and way to attach too much emphasis on a flip comment I made in my first post, by the way] because I think that Sherman was a better point guard. I love Pearl; I certainly don't have a problem with people thinking Pearl's better--I just don't agree with that opinion. And not that the poll means anything, but I think it is probably a representative % of how most non-casual SU fans would trend in this debate.

To be honest, you both are waaaay off. The best PG in the history of Syracuse is none other than the Vorhees wonder himself, Michael Edwards. Master of both the high dribble and petit larceny, he clearly had it all. Throw in the ability to break things with a hammer, and you clearly have a triple threat player.

RF2044 said:
Ah, okay. I stand clearly corrected. That's what happens when you're trying to post with a screaming 7 month old who's sick diverting 85% of my attention.

Lol. Been there done that. You know you love it though.

Lol. Been there done that. You know you love it though.

Yeah, I do! Kids are the bomb... but I'm too old for some of this shiz...

Regardless, fun thread. No hard feelings hopefully anyone.

RF2044 said:
Yeah, I do! Kids are the bomb... but I'm too old for some of this shiz... Regardless, fun thread. No hard feelings hopefully anyone.

Trust me, the time between 7 months and 18 years is lightening fast.

Trust me, the time between 7 months and 18 years is lightening fast.

No kidding. Our oldest is 4 1/2 -- I have no idea where the time has gone.

And as much as it is "fun" to complain about how much work it takes with a baby, it is really rewarding to do it. They change every day, and the time when they're babies goes by SO fast, and then its gone.

I'm glad the debate about our best-ever point guard is between Sherman Douglas and Pearl Washington rather than David Patrick and Josh Wright.

Here's an excerpt from a post I made last year on SU players who went pro early and what things might have been like had they stayed:

PEARL WASHINGTON
Our first “jumper” was Pearl Washington who would have been on the 1986-87 shoulda been a national championship team. Of course, Sherman Douglas inherited Pearl’s point guard spot and began his own legend. He had played behind the Pearl in 1985-86 and did pretty darn well:

Pearl Washington 32.2m 21.5p 3.1r 9.7a 3.2s 0.0b 37.5+ 7.3mfg 1.8mft 4.1to 3.4pf 16.6- = 20.9NP 12.4OE 8.5FG
Sherman Douglas 11.4m 19.0p 4.3r 7.4a 4.3s 0.7b 35.7+ 4.7mfg 1.7mft 4.3to 4.3pf 15.0- = 20.7NP 12.6OE 8.1FG

The General was even more commanding when he got tossed the keys in 1986-87:
Sherman Douglas32.6m 21.3p 3.1r 9.3a 2.1s 0.2b 36.0+ 7.0mfg 1.7mft 3.9to 2.3pf 14.9- = 21.1NP 12.6OE 8.5FG

We’d be in good shape with either one of them at the helm. We’d have more depth with both. Could they have somehow played together? I think they could have meshed their skills, even alternated controlling the ball. But you wonder if egos might have gotten in the way and neither was a consistently long-range shooter, which the under-rated Greg Monroe was:
Greg Monroe31.0m 16.6p 3.2r 5.2a 1.5s 0.0b 25.0+ 6.4mfg 0.6mft 1.8to 1.7pf 10.5- = 14.5NP 9.6OE 4.9FG

Maybe the three of them would have formed a triumvirate, like Jardine-Triche-Waiters in 2011-2012.

Would we have been remarkably better? Probably not. If the Pearl and the General each wanted their own ball, they might have been worse. But they just needed two more points to become a national champion. Could the Pearl have provided those two points? Might he have demanded the ball after Smart’s shot and dribbled the length of the court to score? It would have been just like him to do that.

And here is a year-by-year comparison:
(m= minutes per game. The rest are per 40 minutes. p= points, r= rebounds, a = assists, s = steals, b= blocks, + = positives, which is p + r + a + s + b, mfg= missed field goals, mft = missed field goals, to = turnovers, pf= personal fouls, - = negatives, which is mfg + mft+ to + pf. np = net points, which is positives - negatives, oe = offensive efficiency, which is p - -mfg - mft and fg = floor game, which is np - oe)

As Freshmen:
Pearl Washington 34.0m 16.9p 3.1r 7.3a 2.7s 0.1b 30.1+ 5.7mfg 1.7mft 4.1to 4.0pf 15.5- = 14.6NP 9.5OE 5.1FG
Sherman Douglas 11.4m 19.0p 4.3r 7.4a 4.3s 0.7b 35.7+ 4.7mfg 1.7mft 4.3to 4.3pf 15.0- = 20.7NP 12.6OE 8.1FG

As Sophomores:
Pearl Washington 34.1m 18.0p 3.4r 7.1a 2.3s 0.1b 30.9+ 6.4mfg 1.4mft 5.3to 3.0pf 16.1- = 14.8NP 10.2OE 4.6FG
Sherman Douglas 32.6m 21.3p 3.1r 9.3a 2.1s 0.2b 36.0+ 7.0mfg 1.7mft 3.9to 2.3pf 14.9- = 21.1NP 12.6OE 8.5FG

As Juniors:
Pearl Washington 32.2m 21.5p 3.1r 9.7a 3.2s 0.0b 37.5+ 7.3mfg 1.8mft 4.1to 3.4pf 16.6- = 20.9NP 12.4OE 8.5FG
Sherman Douglas 34.1m 18.8p 2.5r 9.6a 2.3s 0.0b 33.2+ 6.9mfg 1.5mft 3.9to 1.8pf 14.1- = 19.1NP 10.4OE 8.7FG

As Seniors:
Pearl Washington: none
Sherman Douglas 35.2m 20.7p 2.8r 9.7a 2.1s 0.0b 35.3+ 6.8mfg 1.9mft 4.2to 2.1pf 15.0- = 20.3NP 12.0OE 8.3FG

Sherman was clearly better as a freshman and sophomore, although as a freshman he was a reserve whose playing time was skewed to the lesser opponents and games that had been decided. But his performance hardly varied when he became the full-time starter. The Pearl rose to Sherman's statistical level as a junior and probably would have stayed at that level as a senior. I still think they could have started together because both handled the ball and scored themselves superbly, although neither was a big three point threat.

" Sherman was clearly better as a freshman and sophomore, although as a freshman he was a reserve whose playing time was skewed to the lesser opponents and games that had been decided."

pearl was BIG EAST rookie of the year and first team BE every year he played. advantage pearl.

tbonezone said:
edelin?

Cute. He couldn't hit 6 three pointers in any half, ever.

Gerry might be a shooting guard and he might not be the greatest PG in our history - but he remains the only SU guard to drain 6 3's in the NC game.

And I'll take that over Sherm and everyone else.

tbonezone said:
did you watch the second half ?

When he played with the injured wrist?

" Sherman was clearly better as a freshman and sophomore, although as a freshman he was a reserve whose playing time was skewed to the lesser opponents and games that had been decided."

pearl was BIG EAST rookie of the year and first team BE every year he played. advantage pearl.

But look at the numbers. They aren't even close.

Interesting debate. Pearl or Sherm, you can make a case either way. I just think Sherm was a more complete player and played with more tenacity. And yet Pearl put SU firmly on the map of college hoops. They were both great for SU. Looking forward to the day when we have good PG play.

SWC75 said:
But look at the numbers. They aren't even close.

We did look at the numbers. Didn't you read mine and Jakes posts?

SWC75 said:
I was responding to tbonezone's post.

I know. I'm pretty sure he did look at our numbers.

Sherman. Bing's postion was superstar. The Pearl is just behind Sherman. GMAC is a distance away. Flynn, MCW and Ennis were good but not here long enough. Sims had one great eaer. I always liked Alan Griffin. He should have been at the point while Jason hart should have shifted to the "2". Hart was a four year startter but not a great point guard. Autry was good as junior and senior but not before that. Jimmy Williams combined with Rudy Hackett to send us to San Diego. Eddie Moss is under-rated.
Greatest player was Bing, without him we might never have come back from being the worst team in the nation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom