Who will be the number 1 Seeds? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Who will be the number 1 Seeds?

{snip}

They'd be perfect for the big east if it wasn't for distance, as they are a baketball-only, Catholic school.

(snip}
So are fellow WCC members St. Mary's, USF, Santa Clara, and Loyola Marymount

fully agree. but the selection of 1 seeds (among other things in the overall NCAAT selection process) is often political
I agree to an extent. I don’t think they want to have three 1s from the same conference. It’s been done before, though, and this would be the year to do it again with the way things are playing out. MSU has to lose, though.

So are fellow WCC members St. Mary's, USF, Santa Clara, and Loyola Marymount

In theory, it might make sense to have a basketball-only Catholic superleague with east and west divisions with rotating yearly cross-division games... and that battle in the conference tornament...

Providence mafia would never cede power to enable that, howevs.

In theory, it might make sense to have a basketball-only Catholic superleague with east and west divisions with rotating yearly cross-division games... and that battle in the conference tornament...

Providence mafia would never cede power to enable that, howevs.
Hyperloop. If you build it, they will come.

Tenn off the #1 line with their stinker today. That means 3 ACC #1's. Which means SU must be in the West with Zags if on the 8/9 seed line. Or they bump us to the #7 or #10 seed line so they put us in with an ACC #1 seed.

Hyperloop. If you build it, they will come.

Funny, that actually crossed my mind... Gonzaga team jumping on hyperloop to play @ St. Johns.

Then I thought, nah, Spokane isn't getting a hyperloop terminal.

Tenn off the #1 line with their stinker today. That means 3 ACC #1's. Which means SU must be in the West with Zags if on the 8/9 seed line. Or they bump us to the #7 or #10 seed line so they put us in with an ACC #1 seed.
According to the seeding rules (which I posted earlier this week), since we only played UVa once this season, we could still be an 8/9 and be placed in Virginia's region.

According to the seeding rules (which I posted earlier this week), since we only played UVa once this season, we could still be an 8/9 and be placed in Virginia's region.
I only see that happening if both NC State and Clemson get in.

same w unc if they get a 1

I only see that happening if both NC State and Clemson get in.
Agreed (or even if one gets in). Just saying it was possible, and not a given we would be placed in Gonzaga's region.

Some years. the decision can be made early on.

This year was not one of them. It is possible they made their decision after yesterday's games, because it is hard to make contingent plans for today. But I suspect Tennessee / Michigan St results will have some impact today.
My son is the Faculty Athletic Rep at UNC Asheville. Their Athletic Director is on the selection committee. She has long said that most things are settled before this weekend.

On what basis of fact can you make that statement?

...or are you just speculating as wel??
One member of the selection committee is from a college where my son is the Faculty Athletic Rep. That is the source of my information.

My son is the Faculty Athletic Rep at UNC Asheville. Their Athletic Director is on the selection committee. She has long said that most things are settled before this weekend.

As in contingency scenarios, sure.

I.e. there's prolly numerous scenarios already sorted out... But I bet some of the 1 seeds vary in those different scenarios.

So you are saying your contact confirms that the #1 seeds this year were decided days ago, yes?

So you are saying your contact confirms that the #1 seeds this year were decided days ago, yes?
I have not spoken to her, but the answer is likely yes, based on "body of work."

OF course most things are settled before the weekend. Doesn't mean all things. Th

I have as much access to the committee chair all weekend on TV for the past dozen years. They are pretty open about their process - they invite the media to their mock selection process which they write about.

They openly talk about what they have finished by Friday (which is most of it), and the little things they need to work on the weekend. The committee will often tell you on Saturday all that is mainly left is bracketing. Or we are looking at the #1 seeds, or we are still considering the bubble.

This year the #1 seed line is a matter of debate.. and they have told us that.

Last edited:
I have not spoken to her, but the answer is likely yes, based on "body of work."

I'll trust myself. I actually listen when I have heard the committee chair speak for the past dozen years, and when they bring them in on CBS or ESPN on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. They also have mock selection days for the media in February, where they show their process.
They are quite open in saying that most things are done by Friday. But they have also been quite open on the loose ends that need to get discussed on the weekend, and will often state a certain result changed the #1 line on the weekend. It's not a mystery. They openly state it. Just listen.

IIRC, They had a 2 hour discussion on the #1 in 2014 when Virginia got it on Saturday, and discussed it again on Sunday. I wasn't in the room. But you know how I know? Because the chair told the world that is what happened,

Sorry, I find that unbelievable that they don't have a number of alternate scenarios sorted out for # 1 seeds that factor in conference tournament results, especially in a year like this year.

If what you say is true, that's ridiculously negligent.

I don't doubt that they may likely have all these scenarios sorted days beforehand, but this has to be part of the job.

90% likelihood that Calipari will complain about:
1. UK's seed (should have been higher)
2. UK's draw (this opponent is under-seeded)
3. Geography of where they are playing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom