Who will be the Syracuse Head Coach in 2024? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Who will be the Syracuse Head Coach in 2024?

Unlike some posters on here I don't believe that the solution for every SU team is to fire the Head Coach, coaching staff or AD.

Again its year 7, not 3. Exactly how long do we let this go on, 2 more years 5, 10? We've rearranged the assistants 3 times now. At what point do we concede maybe the HC isnt the answer. Also i havent seen one serious person advocate for Wildhack to be fired, hes done a ton of stuff off the field for SU.

I love Coach White but scared to death of him becoming our next HC. IMO we need someone with head coaching experience….this is a tough and unique program to steer and we’ve seen those with no previous HC’ing experience fail miserably
I sort of think the only way we get real upside is someone without experience. But again I am not sure if hes geared towards being a CEO of a P5 program. You never know until you try. I just think there are so few realistic options with ties to the Northeast that I would roll the dice. And also people noticed the start to the season for us fans who don't think there is another DC job out there for him are insane.

Why should he stay here if he gets another offer most of the fanbase wants Dino gone? If those fans don't want him to be the next HC he'd be crazy to decline another offer. Hes been something of a HCIW from my angle for the last couple of years.

Look at Arnett he didn't have to wait long after being hired by us to find a similar slightly better job. There are a lot of schools out there hiring new coordinators every year.

I actually like our staff and am fine with running it back. But Dino's moronic QB handling for the second straight year is a big issue. If Shrader returns what will be different his ankles won't heal fully and hold up for more than a couple games lets be honest unless he refuses to run he'll be limping badly by week 3 or 4. Do we go through the same thing for a 3rd year in a row? Make him backup or running play QB? I think a Lamson-CDRW competition is fine.

Again its year 7, not 3. Exactly how long do we let this go on, 2 more years 5, 10? We've rearranged the assistants 3 times now. At what point do we concede maybe the HC isnt the answer. Also i havent seen one serious person advocate for Wildhack to be fired, hes done a ton of stuff off the field for SU.
Then you need to read through the threads again.

How about Clawson? Oh wait, he's no good in November either according to the Wake fans.

I have doubts Clawson would come, but he'd be my first call and I'd hake it hard for him to say no to coming home. Who knows? Maybe he feels underappreciated at Wake. After that, Chadwell from Coastal, Dan Mullen or Tony White. No one (including Ed O) is bringing in top 20 classes. We need someone who can find some guys that are overlooked and develop them and be a solid game-day coach. All the above have done that in some capacity.

Last edited:
My fifteen year old son was complaining about the same thing. “Dad, why did coach leave Shrader and Tucker in the game when we were getting blown out and we are worried about injuries?”

I really don’t know son.

You couldn’t even make something up to answer, that’s how bad that was.

It's interesting that Hugh Freeze is the name d'jour for the next SEC HC openings, like Auburn. But Jim Mora took an absolute dumpster fire at UConn - the worst FBS program in the country last year - and just beat Liberty to become bowl eligible. Want to talk about disadvantages: no league, no big TV $, a stadium 25 miles away from campus, no P5 facilities, northeast recruiting and weather, etc. That's some serious program building in 1 year.

It can’t be done here. By anybody. Except Dino.

If we can get Marrone back, and his ability to develop offensive linemen, then we can win with a drop back passer.

Otherwise, find the fastest guy available who has a serviceable arm.

Oh and I’d kill for an Alec Lemon, Marcus Sales or even Beckett Wales on this offense.

Give me Ashton Broyld and I don’t care if he dropped his pants at a basketball game last week.

Agree mostly. But Nassib.
Nassib was smart and tough and had the best OLine we have had in decades. When TD played behind our line he was the most sacked QB I'm the nation. Now, behind a really good OLine at Illinois he is doing great.
Put the NIL money in the line.

Wild that at any other school he wouldn't have survived the one win season. Or the follow up losing season after that. Yet after this implosion we could have another year of him.

Shafer had as many bowl wins in half the seasons. Dino gets crack #2 this year.

yeah and after 3 seasons Shafer had 14 wins. At 7 seasons right now Babers has 35 wins. That's not much difference. .04?

Here are some thoughts on the next head coach.

If we go the assistant coach route White needs to be the choice. What he has done at Syracuse is nothing short of amazing. Even this year with all of the injuries he has kept us in every game with the exception of yesterday. He has head coach written all over him and personally he would be my choice as we know his side of the ball is solid.

If we go the head coach route, there are a few guys that might be able to step up to our level.

Rahone at ODU is solid. Not having a good year but he has excellent east coast connections. OC and QB coach at Penn State. His recruiting territory is perfect for us. He is my last choice.

Next up Chadwell at Coastal. Excellent coach but no east coast connections.

Clark at App state. Very solid and I like his Oline background. I think he will make some team a great head coach but he most likely isn't a fit for Cuse.

The next three are my choices. C. B. A.

C: Niumatalolo Navy. Great coach. Obviously is able to coach kids up and runs an amazing program. Because of Navy he has ties all over the country. Plus, the kids get to keep Ohana.

B. Joe Moorhead. Great coach 49 or 50 and he would crush it at SU. Guy has a fantastic O background can recruit and would most likely stay at Cuse the rest of his coaching days.

A. Mullen. I just think he has what it takes to energize recruits and the community. There would be a buzz with him and in my opinion, he brings us back and quickly.

My three top picks plus coach White if we keep it in house. Anyone of these four would take the job and we wouldn't have to break the bank. Keeping Dino shouldn't happen beyond next year unless he hits a homerun and agrees to an incentive-based deal.

JW is in good shape. The University has shown it is committed to Football and the ACC is in a solid third position and not going anyplace.

I want Dino to finish strong and I'd like to see him retain key players and add what is needed to have a good 23. I just don't think after all of these years that he deserves any more breaks. He needs to perform and perform now. He is out of runway. Time for him to perform or be let go.

If we go the assistant coach route White needs to be the choice. What he has done at Syracuse is nothing short of amazing. Even this year with all of the injuries he has kept us in every game with the exception of yesterday. He has head coach written all over him and personally he would be my choice as we know his side of the ball is solid.

If we go the head coach route, there are a few guys that might be able to step up to our level.

Rahone at ODU is solid. Not having a good year but he has excellent east coast connections. OC and QB coach at Penn State. His recruiting territory is perfect for us. He is my last choice.

Clark at App state. Very solid and I like his Oline background. I think he will make some team a great head coach but he most likely isn't a fit for Cuse.

C: Niumatalolo Navy. Great coach. Obviously is able to coach kids up and runs an amazing program. Because of Navy he has ties all over the country. Plus, the kids get to keep Ohana.

B. Joe Moorhead. Great coach 49 or 50 and he would crush it at SU. Guy has a fantastic O background can recruit and would most likely stay at Cuse the rest of his coaching days.

A. Mullen. I just think he has what it takes to energize recruits and the community. There would be a buzz with him and in my opinion, he brings us back and quickly.

My three top picks plus coach White if we keep it in house. Anyone of these four would take the job and we wouldn't have to break the bank. Keeping Dino shouldn't happen beyond next year unless he hits a homerun and agrees to an incentive-based deal.

JW is in good shape. The University has shown it is committed to Football and the ACC is in a solid third position and not going anyplace.

I want Dino to finish strong and I'd like to see him retain key players and add what is needed to have a good 23. I just don't think after all of these years that he deserves any more breaks. He needs to perform and perform now. He is out of runway. Time for him to perform or be let go.

You mention White a lot but what makes him HC material? Being a very good DC doesn't mean he would be a good HC. How can you promote from within from a failed coaching staff? Why would recruiting get better? Why would the O be better? Why would the team be more disciplined?

You mention White a lot but what makes him HC material? Being a very good DC doesn't mean he would be a good HC. How can you promote from within from a failed coaching staff? Why would recruiting get better? Why would the O be better? Why would the team be more disciplined?
The reason to pick from within is usually to maintain continuity. By promoting White half of the equation is in good shape. The D staff will most likely all stay and the recruiting ties by guys on that side of the ball including our best recruiter and position coach Swag are not lost. I think this is huge.

Not sure how you bring in Moorhead after he just had a disastrous season at Akron-Believe they're 1-9. Would take Mora, Mullen, White, Clawson, Chadwell before him.

The reason to pick from within is usually to maintain continuity. By promoting White half of the equation is in good shape. The D staff will most likely all stay and the recruiting ties by guys on that side of the ball including our best recruiter and position coach Swag are not lost. I think this is huge.

If you are firing Dino then there is nothing worth continuing.

Not sure how you bring in Moorhead after he just had a disastrous season at Akron-Believe they're 1-9. Would take Mora, Mullen, White, Clawson, Chadwell before him.

I agree you cannot do it this year but to be fair Akron was horrible when he got there. They were 3-27 from 2019-2021 and he has been competitive there this year.

Hasn't Swag followed Dino every place? Why would he stay if Dino is gone? He can more than likely get a job at a better school with his recruiting prowess.

The only way imo to promote White would be to fire Dino now and tab White interim head coach. Then you’re in a good position to give him the HC job and it’d probably be mutual.

I don’t think he’d want it if Dino is canned at the end of the season and it’s just sort of bad optics. How common is it to give someone a HC job off the staff of the guy you just fired.

White is clearly a great DCoordinator and motivator. From my view he’s definitely a future head coach.

What you don't understand is that I think that we have a very good staff. I especially think that we have an excellent D staff. I don't think we have a very good head coach

That is just silly. This staff cannot recruit. That isn't all on Dino. The O is a mess. That isn't all on Dino. The staff is part of the problem as well. Our D is good but it is not shutdown and the college game is all about the O. We will have a better chance of success copying Wake and not Rutgers.

His Defense has been better than Shafer and he's a better recruiter, as well.
Who has White recruited? Legit question I don’t know. Is there a way to find this info