Who will be the Syracuse Head Coach in 2024? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Who will be the Syracuse Head Coach in 2024?

I mean on the recruiting side he has been able to get plenty of Studs there and implement a sucessful 3-3-5 defense. Promote him to HC. Promote Swag Daddy to DC or get another 3-3-5 guy to stay consistent and then defer the offense to Dr Bob and co
Swag is only a recruiter. He will never be a coordinator. There’s a reason bigger schools haven’t come calling.

Hasn't Swag followed Dino every place? Why would he stay if Dino is gone? He can more than likely get a job at a better school with his recruiting prowess.
Swag likes it here. he has a background here. If Dino goes and White were hired, I'm sure that White would ask him to stay and take care of him.

Here are some thoughts on the next head coach.

If we go the assistant coach route White needs to be the choice. What he has done at Syracuse is nothing short of amazing. Even this year with all of the injuries he has kept us in every game with the exception of yesterday. He has head coach written all over him and personally he would be my choice as we know his side of the ball is solid.

If we go the head coach route, there are a few guys that might be able to step up to our level.

Rahone at ODU is solid. Not having a good year but he has excellent east coast connections. OC and QB coach at Penn State. His recruiting territory is perfect for us. He is my last choice.

Next up Chadwell at Coastal. Excellent coach but no east coast connections.

Clark at App state. Very solid and I like his Oline background. I think he will make some team a great head coach but he most likely isn't a fit for Cuse.

The next three are my choices. C. B. A.

C: Niumatalolo Navy. Great coach. Obviously is able to coach kids up and runs an amazing program. Because of Navy he has ties all over the country. Plus, the kids get to keep Ohana.

B. Joe Moorhead. Great coach 49 or 50 and he would crush it at SU. Guy has a fantastic O background can recruit and would most likely stay at Cuse the rest of his coaching days.

A. Mullen. I just think he has what it takes to energize recruits and the community. There would be a buzz with him and in my opinion, he brings us back and quickly.

My three top picks plus coach White if we keep it in house. Anyone of these four would take the job and we wouldn't have to break the bank. Keeping Dino shouldn't happen beyond next year unless he hits a homerun and agrees to an incentive-based deal.

JW is in good shape. The University has shown it is committed to Football and the ACC is in a solid third position and not going anyplace.

I want Dino to finish strong and I'd like to see him retain key players and add what is needed to have a good 23. I just don't think after all of these years that he deserves any more breaks. He needs to perform and perform now. He is out of runway. Time for him to perform or be let go.
While I don't want to engage in a replacement HC speculation, I will say your post is thoughtful.

Can't see JW going with a coordinator but who knows?
Can`t see Niumatalolo`s style here. Waste's the Dome Advantage.

Moorhead has had 7 jobs in 14 years. Other than at Fordham, the HC record is unimpressive.

Mullen is the most interesting by far. Northeastern roots, former SEC COY, 13 years HC in the SEC. 70% winning percent at Florida (4 seasons) and 60% at Miss State (9 seasons). Losing record in only his 1st and last season in the SEC. 63% winning percentage over 13 SEC seasons. I have to think he will be gone this year.

You're on the right track exploring guys for whom the job should be appealing.

Oddly enough, Dino's long tenure should make the job attractive.

Hopefully, if Anae`s offense takes hold in its 2nd year, the team stays healthy and we find some bigs in the portal, we won't be in the coach market.

It’s not just about talent. Although that is lacking significantly as seen with depth issues. For every gem found, they recruit a lot of guys with MAC only offers. They are last in the ACC in recruiting almost every year. With a better coach they might be able to make up for the lack of talent. Unfortunately, DB isn’t a good coach.

If ‘Cuse wants to compete for ACC championships, hell just compete for a bowl game every year, then they need to cut their losses & pay big money for a big time coach who can recruit and better fund recruiting.

Honestly, the money situation isn’t bad and they are middle of the pack in almost every metric, but they fall short in recruit spending.

^This one is a few years old and Im sure Syracuse has spent more money each year.

Paying big money for a coach isn’t a guarantee to win. Jimbo Fisher is an example.

While I don't want to engage in a replacement HC speculation, I will say your post is thoughtful.

Can't see JW going with a coordinator but who knows?
Can`t see Niumatalolo`s style here. Waste's the Dome Advantage.

Moorhead has had 7 jobs in 14 years. Other than at Fordham, the HC record is unimpressive.

Mullen is the most interesting by far. Northeastern roots, former SEC COY, 13 years HC in the SEC. 70% winning percent at Florida (4 seasons) and 60% at Miss State (9 seasons). Losing record in only his 1st and last season in the SEC. 63% winning percentage over 13 SEC seasons. I have to think he will be gone this year.

You're on the right track exploring guys for whom the job should be appealing.

Oddly enough, Dino's long tenure should make the job attractive.

Hopefully, if Anae`s offense takes hold in its 2nd year, the team stays healthy and we find some bigs in the portal, we won't be in the coach market.
My biggest hope is that Dino pulls it together the last three games and we end on a positive note as he is back next year. I hope that he retains this staff as they are good. I hope that he can keep our young guys in the fold. I also hope that he can fill positions of need in the off season. Dino is a good leader of the program, but I don't think he is a good football coach. The two don't have to go hand in hand.

The reason to pick from within is usually to maintain continuity. By promoting White half of the equation is in good shape. The D staff will most likely all stay and the recruiting ties by guys on that side of the ball including our best recruiter and position coach Swag are not lost. I think this is huge.
Saying Swag is our best recruiter is overstating the obvious. He’s still not getting big time talent.

Saying Swag is our best recruiter is overstating the obvious. He’s still not getting big time talent.
Well, considering after this year 5 of his recruits according to 742 will be playing in the NFL. So I’d say he is getting good players

That is just silly. This staff cannot recruit. That isn't all on Dino. The O is a mess. That isn't all on Dino. The staff is part of the problem as well. Our D is good but it is not shutdown and the college game is all about the O. We will have a better chance of success copying Wake and not Rutgers.
D recruiting has been fairly good.

Who has White recruited? Legit question I don’t know. Is there a way to find this info
I don't have time to look it up now, but he has gotten various awards for recruiting.

The reason to pick from within is usually to maintain continuity. By promoting White half of the equation is in good shape. The D staff will most likely all stay and the recruiting ties by guys on that side of the ball including our best recruiter and position coach Swag are not lost. I think this is huge.
The HC is a GM and visionary. Can White pick the right person as DC and then let him just execute? Dino has proven he can’t do that which has led to this thread. White has been an amazing DC, but promoting from within is pretty much a non-starter with this staff. There are plenty of proven HC out there to bring in. We’re a P5 and not a G5 school.

The HC is a GM and visionary. Can White pick the right person as DC and then let him just execute? Dino has proven he can’t do that which has led to this thread. White has been an amazing DC, but promoting from within is pretty much a non-starter with this staff. There are plenty of proven HC out there to bring in. We’re a P5 and not a G5 school.
P5 schools promote from within too

Then you need to read through the threads again.

So a couple joe blow posters said Wildhack should be fired and that reflects a large portion of the board? Come on.

Also you didnt answer my question, how much longer do you give Dino on this current trajectory with the program being 12 games under .500 in year 7 on its third assistant shake up.

If Dino left (not getting fired stop w that nonsense)….

I’d look at Bob Chesney at holy cross, guy has won at Salve, Assumption and has HC undefeated.

He’s going to move to a power 5 team and I would gather he has his eyes on BC if Hafley falters.

Our best modern coaches are New England stock (Mac and P). Go get the next one in New England and let’s coach up what we got and build the uglies through the prep pipeline. Michigan and ND are dominating it. We can get in there

I’d look at Bob Chesney at holy cross, guy has won at Salve, Assumption and has HC undefeated.

He’s going to move to a power 5 team and I would gather he has his eyes on BC if Hafley falters.

Our best modern coaches are New England stock (Mac and P). Go get the next one in New England and let’s coach up what we got and build the uglies through the prep pipeline. Michigan and ND are dominating it. We can get in there

That was 40 years ago.

Nick Charlton is getting a solid resume.

So a couple joe blow posters said Wildhack should be fired and that reflects a large portion of the board? Come on.

Also you didnt answer my question, how much longer do you give Dino on this current trajectory with the program being 12 games under .500 in year 7 on its third assistant shake up.

He gets a bowl this year so he gets another year. I'd love to be a 9 plus win program but not sure that's practical. At least the ACC schedule gets better for us going forward.

I know some don't, but you should get what an outlier 2020 was. Keeping that in the conversation isn't happening anywhere else.

Short of finishing 6-7, Dino will be back next year.
Ideally, Anae & Beck get some more time. I'm sure they have a contract for next year as is.
7-5 next year (possibly 8-5) and he'll stay a bit longer.

If things go 6-7 and JW has someone else lined up (cough, Mullen, cough) then I would not be completely surprised to see a change.

Let's beat BCU and punt this down the road another year...

He gets a bowl this year so he gets another year. I'd love to be a 9 plus win program but not sure that's practical. At least the ACC schedule gets better for us going forward.

I know some don't, but you should get what an outlier 2020 was. Keeping that in the conversation isn't happening anywhere else.

I agree, unless the program implodes he will be back next year for a variety of reasons with the buyout and being bowl eligible the top 2.

I get 2020 was somewhat of an outlier, covid, injuries etc but if your going that route can't your argue the same for 2018?

Take out 2020 and this is still a perennial 4-8/5-7 team. Even this year it took 2-3 absurd penalties in the Purdue and UVA game or we would be 4-6 right now. Just seems like bringing him back will put us right back where we always end up, decent start, injuries pile up, offense falls apart, Team is a mess by Novemer, wash rinse repeat.