Why are Napier and Boatwright still in College? | Syracusefan.com

Why are Napier and Boatwright still in College?

Dcuse

All Conference
2 players I can't stand are my heroes. 2 guys with every bit if not more pro potential than 90% of the kids coming out, on a supposed sinking ship with possible probation hanging decide to come back to school. Can anybody explain that to me?

They are good BECAUSE they are still in college. They have been in college for 3/4 years, worked on their game, developed experience, worked on their bodies, improved every year, and now you are starting to see what their ceiling is. The NBA, in most cases, drafts players on what their ceiling WILL BE. That's why Parker, Wiggins, Randle, etc. are so coveted by the NBA. They came in as freshmen and dominated against college level competition from the start. Do you really think Napier/Boatright have every bit, if not more, pro potential than guys like Parker, Wiggins, and Randle?

They are good BECAUSE they are still in college. They have been in college for 3/4 years, worked on their game, developed experience, worked on their bodies, improved every year, and now you are starting to see what their ceiling is. The NBA, in most cases, drafts players on what their ceiling WILL BE. That's why Parker, Wiggins, Randle, etc. are so coveted by the NBA. They came in as freshmen and dominated against college level competition from the start. Do you really think Napier/Boatright have every bit, if not more, pro potential than guys like Parker, Wiggins, and Randle?
Maybe not but I'll stick to my 90% quote. You cannot tell me that these two-especially Napier-isn't as good or better a prospect than even our own Ennis.

Maybe not but I'll stick to my 90% quote. You cannot tell me that these two-especially Napier-isn't as good or better a prospect than even our own Ennis.

Tough to say with Ennis/Napier. Ennis is a little taller/bulkier than Napier and he's only 19. He came in as a freshman and ran Syracuse's team against ACC-level competition. Napier is 22 and yes, he's having a great season. But for comparison, he's almost a year OLDER than Kyrie Irving. Can you picture Napier in the NBA doing what Irving does? I cannot. Can I picture Ennis in 2 or 3 years doing what Irving does? Well...I don't know, but MAYBE. And that's why Ennis is a higher draft prospect than Napier.

They weren't NBA material after their freshman season or sophomore season or maybe not now either. They had to stay in college.

Give me 12 Shabazz Napier's for 4 years ANY day of the week over ANY one and doner this year

In college, heck yes. As an NBA GM, no.

That's why, as primarily a college bball fan over NBA, I love players like Napier and CJ Fair. They are good players that aren't going to be able to jump to the NBA right away but they will grind on a team for 3 or 4 years and develop in to good players that are fun to watch. Imagine the talent and competition level in college basketball if all players stayed 3 or 4 years?

They weren't NBA material after their freshman season or sophomore season or maybe not now either. They had to stay in college.

Then give me guys who have to stay in college.

One reason why Ennis went pro is if he slipped at all next season he would then be here at least 3 years. Its a stupid reason but the world we live in today unfortunately. James Michael McAdoo fell into the same situation. Stock was high after his freshman year and when he came back everyone knew he would be back for at least 2 more years.

I love it because the NBA doesnt get these guys and I'm all for sticking it up the NBA's ass. I cant wait until they finally change these rules and force kids who commit to a college to stay for a couple of years at least. I think I was the only basketball fan that was highfiving people when the NBA went on strike.

One reason why Ennis went pro is if he slipped at all next season he would then be here at least 3 years. Its a stupid reason but the world we live in today unfortunately. James Michael McAdoo fell into the same situation. Stock was high after his freshman year and when he came back everyone knew he would be back for at least 2 more years.

I love it because the NBA doesnt get these guys and I'm all for sticking it up the NBA's ass. I cant wait until they finally change these rules and force kids who commit to a college to stay for a couple of years at least. I think I was the only basketball fan that was highfiving people when the NBA went on strike.

Lockout didn't have anything to do with the age rule though. We talked about this in an earlier thread, I believe, i bet by the 2016 draft at the latest you'll see the 2 year rule in place. (So the kids who go to school this coming season may be able to leave after a year, but after that, I bet not).

There is definitely a sweet spot though, if you can't get the true one and done studs you are probably better off getting the 3-4 year types.

You weren't the only one!

Lockout didn't have anything to do with the age rule though. We talked about this in an earlier thread, I believe, i bet by the 2016 draft at the latest you'll see the 2 year rule in place. (So the kids who go to school this coming season may be able to leave after a year, but after that, I bet not).

There is definitely a sweet spot though, if you can't get the true one and done studs you are probably better off getting the 3-4 year types.

Oh I know it didnt. I was just happy they werent playing. It meant more college games on TV and was hoping it had the same effect that the NHL lockout did.

Oh I know it didnt. I was just happy they werent playing. It meant more college games on TV and was hoping it had the same effect that the NHL lockout did.

Ok, fair enough. I really hated it since the Knicks were finally ok and i had to wait to see them be ok.

And what do you do with the forced second year player who does not have the grades to play in that second year ?? Ice skaters can go Pro in their early teens! No restrictions for golfers either. If the two year rule is passed, I guarantee that a super stud like Jabari Parker would take it to court. That rule would never hold up with a great attorney!

And what do you do with the forced second year player who does not have the grades to play in that second year ?? Ice skaters can go Pro in their early teens! No restrictions for golfers either. If the two year rule is passed, I guarantee that a super stud like Jabari Parker would take it to court. That rule would never hold up with a great attorney!

These kids can go pro directly from high school. If they commit to going to college then hit the books. TFB if you dont have the grades.

These kids can go pro directly from high school. If they commit to going to college then hit the books. TFB if you dont have the grades.

It's complicated and I have no idea what the answer is. What about a player like Ennis...he didn't come in with any hype or NBA draft prospects. After one year he put himself in a position to be a lottery pick. If the system were changed he'd have to stay another year or two and what if he got injured?

Like I said, I don't know what the answer is. I guess baseball has done alright and the players accept that they'll have to deal with any injuries if they go to college.

Didn't Maurice Clarett already lose that case?

It's complicated and I have no idea what the answer is. What about a player like Ennis...he didn't come in with any hype or NBA draft prospects. After one year he put himself in a position to be a lottery pick. If the system were changed he'd have to stay another year or two and what if he got injured?

Like I said, I don't know what the answer is. I guess baseball has done alright and the players accept that they'll have to deal with any injuries if they go to college.

Too bad if you get injured. Risk you take going to school.

Too bad if you get injured. Risk you take going to school.

I guess it makes sense. Players that aren't good enough to go pro right out of high school need the stage that college basketball provides. They get a full ride and the stage but have to deal with the risks.

I guess it makes sense. Players that aren't good enough to go pro right out of high school need the stage that college basketball provides. They get a full ride and the stage but have to deal with the risks.

I am all for letting kids go to the nba or wherever right out of high school. Go for it. Just dont look for sympathy if and when you either dont get drafted (Korleone young) or you dont make it.

Heck, we've had non-NBA material leave with plenty of eligibility left. What's that about? I'm being serious here: what's that about?

Well, it's a double sided coin...Would Tyler Ennis be where he is now if he hadn't attended college? Absolutely not. But because he did, and because the team was pretty successful, he's making a move. I'm not making a judgement on his decision. Let him go if he wants...the future will show if it was the correct decision. The point is that without the opportunity, Ennis wouldn't be in the draft...nor would most of the undergrads who have declared...College basketball is the de-facto minor league of the NBA, and the league loves it...

Napier - 25 minutes/game as a frosh
Kemba - 24 minutes/game as a frosh
Ray Allen - 21 minutes/game as a frosh
Ben Gordon - 25 minutes/game as a frosh
AJ Price - 24 minutes/game as a frosh

Ennis - 36 minutes/game as a frosh
Flynn - 36 minutes/game as a frosh

Napier - 25 minutes/game as a frosh
Kemba - 24 minutes/game as a frosh
Ray Allen - 21 minutes/game as a frosh
Ben Gordon - 25 minutes/game as a frosh
AJ Price - 24 minutes/game as a frosh

Ennis - 36 minutes/game as a frosh
Flynn - 36 minutes/game as a frosh
You didn't write about Waiters or MCW? I wonder why? The reason our kids have played a lot is because we have had 4 young guards leave early in the last 5 years. Ennis wouln't have played as much if MCW had stayed. Cripes, Dion Waiters could have been on this team. Can't complain about it because everyone other than Pitt loses guys early. I know, I know Adams. And they actually do complain about losing him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck, we've had non-NBA material leave with plenty of eligibility left. What's that about? I'm being serious here: what's that about?

Who declared for the draft with eligibility that didn't get drafted? I'm drawing blanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom