Why are our WRs... underwhelming? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why are our WRs... underwhelming?

I just think team’s have caught up to our scheme and aren’t surprised anymore.

That and our wideouts haven’t developed the ability, aside form Courtney, to consistently catch the ball then make a move and not fall down.
Can anyone tell me what they've done to catch up that they haven't been trying against spread teams for fifteen years?

When was last time an Orange receiver made a catch that SHOULDN’T have been caught. We just never make the unexpected, spectacular catch bailing out the QB or moving the chains… even 50/50 balls feel like 0% catch 100% miss/drop. Just want to see one WOW catch moment where it really shouldn’t have been. Seems like it happens regularly against us, even the Wake game winner falls in that category.

Could lack of height be an issue? Our WRs are not a tall group. Jackson, Cooper and Johnson are all 5'11". Pena is 6'0". Queely is 6'2"

Clemson's WRs are much taller. Ngata, EJ Willimas, Ajou and Landson are all 6"3". Ross is 6'4" and Spector is 6"1."

Checked the box score from the Wake Forrest game and saw that AT Perry (6'5") and Jaquari Roberson (6'1") accounted for 12 catches for 273 yards.

Kind of similar to the situation at QB prior to Shrader. We simply don't have any playmakers at the WR position without Taj, which makes them way too easy to defend. Overgeneralization for sure, but they are not good route runners, rarely create separation, most lack size and strength, and, almost to a man, they drop passes every single game. This is a recruiting and player development issue, IMO.
Right.

I'm saying though, it's weird there isn't a playmaker in the mix.

How does that happen?

Could lack of height be an issue? Our WRs are not a tall group. Jackson, Cooper and Johnson are all 5'11". Pena is 6'0". Queely is 6'2"

Clemson's WRs are much taller. Ngata, EJ Willimas, Ajou and Landson are all 6"3". Ross is 6'4" and Spector is 6"1."

Checked the box score from the Wake Forrest game and saw that AT Perry (6'5") and Jaquari Roberson (6'1") accounted for 12 catches for 273 yards.
I thought Pena was like 5'8"

Alfords like 6'5. He just drops stuff though. Had 2 key drops last night that hit him right in the mits that really should have been easy catches

Right.

I'm saying though, it's weird there isn't a playmaker in the mix.

How does that happen?
Right, recruiting/talent evaluation issue. I was hoping Hatcher, Gadsden, and/or Alford would be more of a factor this year. They have playmaker measurables and offer lists. There is still time this season. Going forward, we will see about the player development piece. We have to have at least 1 of these 3 step up and become a playmaker.

I'm watching the Georgia/Kentucky game and the use of the TE is so special to watch on both sides. Just great play calling especially for Kentucky. If SU had their staff different results for sure. Just watching Kentucky show how bad SU coaches really are.
Good post. If Kentucky can rise from the shambles of irrelevancy, as with Liberty, Coastal Carolina, etcetera…..why the hell can’t Syracuse? I graduated in the early 1960’s and watched every damn SU team since those great years. We sure knew how to use TE John Mackey! Yes, we’ve put it all together a few times, but I would also like to see TE’s involved more in our offense. While I’m bitching…..can we please rank in the top 10 for five years before I die?

Good post. If Kentucky can rise from the shambles of irrelevancy, as with Liberty, Coastal Carolina, etcetera…..why the hell can’t Syracuse? I graduated in the early 1960’s and watched every damn SU team since those great years. We sure knew how to use TE John Mackey! Yes, we’ve put it all together a few times, but I would also like to see TE’s involved more in our offense. While I’m bitching…..can we please rank in the top 10 for five years before I die?
I think it’s easier for UK to rise from the shambles because there are a ton of great prospects within a 6-8 hour drive.
Of course, if there are so many talented players nearby, how has their program been either terrible or mediocre for the past 20 years?

What were these offers coming out of HS? I ask because all these guys seem like Plan B or C. I specifically remember missing on several higher profile targets. Maybe CJ and Alford have potential down the road but that’s it.

What were these offers coming out of HS? I ask because all these guys seem like Plan B or C. I specifically remember missing on several higher profile targets. Maybe CJ and Alford have potential down the road but that’s it.

Alford, Hatcher, Gadsden, JaVante Williams (injured) all had a bunch of good P5 offers. They’re young. We’re gonna have to be patient.

Well you’d think the wideouts would get some separation from the defense having to compensate for covering the best running back in the ACC and A QB who can run for over 150 yards in a game.

I think OP’s confusion is warranted. Its not like these were lightly recruited guys we’re putting out there.
We have a bad QB, bad WRs, a bad gameplan and we're confused?

criminally underused? He literally dropped two balls in a row last night that hit him right in the chest.
Before last night he has not been given much run. He's a true frosh from Canada. Growing pains.

Alford, Hatcher, Gadsden, JaVante Williams (injured) all had a bunch of good P5 offers. They’re young. We’re gonna have to be patient.
Define good. Some examples please.

When was last time an Orange receiver made a catch that SHOULDN’T have been caught. We just never make the unexpected, spectacular catch bailing out the QB or moving the chains… even 50/50 balls feel like 0% catch 100% miss/drop. Just want to see one WOW catch moment where it really shouldn’t have been. Seems like it happens regularly against us, even the Wake game winner falls in that category.
Probably senior year Ish was the last time I remember tough catches being made.

Maybe Jackson? I don’t know - I was pretty checked out that year after the early season disaster.

Mike Williams was the last time I felt like we had a better WR than basically everybody we played against. He could’ve starred for anybody in the country, talent wise.

Google their names and look them up yourself
Exactly. If they were household offers you could’ve typed a few examples instead of the snark. I don’t remember the offers either.

If you remember Mike Williams was not even recruited by any of the football staff; it was Mike Hopkins. Until our youngsters develop we need to use the transfer portal to pick up a couple of decent, ready to play WR’s. They are out there and other schools are finding them.

We also need to be creative in our play calling. The programs that are winning are!

I don't pretend to know anything but it seems to me Pena would make a great WR. He's strong, very fast, fearless, has very good hands, and is hell in the open field. I think he would be more physical against press defense. What am I missing?
Isn't he quite small?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom