Why dont we recruit nationally | Syracusefan.com

Why dont we recruit nationally

kcsu

Living Legend
Dino is bringing kids in from all over including Mississippi. Florida is huge for us. Why doesn't JB go national.

Our program has descended to mediocrity the last several seasons. Gotta ask if we are still a national destination ?

Regardless, i really like the incoming class. If we can do close to that every season why worry about where the kids are coming from.

Personally, I think Canadian players are rising fast and Canada is under recruited. There is no reason with our geographical location that we should not own Canada. That is where i think we should expand.

They don’t have the volume of quality recruits that maryland, ny, nh and pa have imo.
Well yeahbut a lot of their recruits are also underlooked as well. Go look at Quincy Guerriers ranking and then go look at what he did the EYBL last year. They don’t exactly line up. That kid is legit. Definitely better then the attention he’s gotten. That’s just one example though.

brisset
Ennis
Rautins

Rautins??? yeah sorta...family ties and played hs in Syracuse area ...not really a recruiting coup

Go for and close on the best......
wiggins
barrett
magliore (sp?)
Anthony Bennett

Our program has descended to mediocrity the last several seasons. Gotta ask if we are still a national destination ?

Regardless, i really like the incoming class. If we can do close to that every season why worry about where the kids are coming from.

Personally, I think Canadian players are rising fast and Canada is under recruited. There is no reason with our geographical location that we should not own Canada. That is where i think we should expand.
The post said Nationally not internationally.

[sarcasm font] because JB is old and tired and doesn't like to leave upstate New York or do anything job related that's too taxing [/sarcasm font]

Dino is bringing kids in from all over including Mississippi. Florida is huge for us. Why doesn't JB go national.

In seriousness, though, there are more states with good football prospect depth than there are states with basketball prospect depth. Additionally, the northeast has been the hotbed for elite basketball recruits since I can remember. For football, the south/southeast has mostly held that distinction. We don't recruit outside the NE much because there just isn't much need to. Logistically, it's easier to see recruits play in the NE and you could theoretically watch more of them. In football, if you want good recruits, you have to cast a wider net, especially if you're a northeastern school.

Why fly out to the Midwest to watch a 6'8" athletic forward when you could drive to Philly/DC/NJ/NYC and watch 12 6'8" athletic forwards?

In seriousness, though, there are more states with good football prospect depth than there are states with basketball prospect depth. Additionally, the northeast has been the hotbed for elite basketball recruits since I can remember. For football, the south/southeast has mostly held that distinction. We don't recruit outside the NE much because there just isn't much need to. Logistically, it's easier to see recruits play in the NE and you could theoretically watch more of them. In football, if you want good recruits, you have to cast a wider net, especially if you're a northeastern school.

Why fly out to the Midwest to watch a 6'8" athletic forward when you could drive to Philly/DC/NJ/NYC and watch 12 6'8" athletic forwards?
Because we are a National brand. We should be going after kids minimally from Florida up the coast, Chicago, Detroit are easy targets. We need to have more lines in the water. If Miami, KU, Duke Kentucky AZ... Can poach the east so can Cuse move South.

Because we are a National brand. We should be going after kids minimally from Florida up the coast, Chicago, Detroit are easy targets. We need to have more lines in the water. If Miami, KU, Duke Kentucky AZ... Can poach the east so can Cuse move South.

I just don't see the need. We have pipelines to a lot high schools and prep schools in the northeast and they've been fruitful. National brand or not, I don't see much benefit in recruiting further away, other than just for the sake of doing it.

Those other schools recruit talent in our backyard because that's where most of the talent is. If you want oil, you drill in Texas, not Minnesota.

If the implication of all of this is that the current issues would have been resolved or mitigated by recruiting a wider area, I'm not buying it. The current issues stem from the sanctions. Without the sanctions, we'd be in much better shape and I don't think anybody would be worried about our recruiting area.

I just don't see the need. We have pipelines to a lot high schools and prep schools in the northeast and they've been fruitful. National brand or not, I don't see much benefit in recruiting further away, other than just for the sake of doing it.

Those other schools recruit talent in our backyard because that's where most of the talent is. If you want oil, you drill in Texas, not Minnesota.

If the implication of all of this is that the current issues would have been resolved or mitigated by recruiting a wider area, I'm not buying it. The current issues stem from the sanctions. Without the sanctions, we'd be in much better shape and I don't think anybody would be worried about our recruiting area.
I see your point but Baz and Moyer are both Midwest kids. Reaching out to a kid in Detroit Chicago has been done in the past. Canada has been good. Those areas are not our traditional hunting grounds but we have occasionally been successful. My point is i believe we can pull kids from Florida from Atlanta and have in the past from DC. It just seems that as JB has aged his recruiting territory has shrunk.

Apples to oranges. Look at the size of the rosters. JB can choose to be picky and focused much more so.

And his track record indicates he knows what he is doing.

They don’t have the volume of quality recruits that maryland, ny, nh and pa have imo.

The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) alone has produced 5 top 35 ESPN recruits in 2017 and 2018. There is plenty of quality in Canada.

[sarcasm font] because JB is old and tired and doesn't like to leave upstate New York or do anything job related that's too taxing [/sarcasm font]
If you don't leave CNY for games...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom