Why dont we recruit nationally | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why dont we recruit nationally

Serious question because I don 't follow hoops recruiting outside of SU...does Nova recruit nationally?

I feel like the only programs that really do are Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and Kansas (on a consistent basis).
Arizona loves the east coast.

Jim used to take advantage of CA. I have no idea why he doesn't go big. If not for Griff Baz wouldn't be orange. Kinda scary really. Now that his kid is done playing prep ball maybe jb spreads it out some.

We were really taking advantage of the new ESPN tv coverage, Big East mania, the new dome and the huge regional super stars we got like Pearl, Sherman, Owens etc. Kids were recruiting us back then. Back then there also wasn’t AAU before college nor huge shoe rivalries/loyalties that divide kids up.

Dude doesn't even attempt to recruit Alaska.
In the old days we tried to recruit Boozer. You would think that Alaskan's would feel at home in Syracuse, but Duke has the Alaska pipeline. Not a lot of traffic on that line but more than you might think.
Kyle Bailey, Damen Bell-Holter (Juneau/ Native American played for Celtics), Carlos Boozer (Juneau), Mario Chalmers (Anchorage), Kelsey Griffin, Ramon Harris, D'Angelo Harrison, Trajan Langdon (Native American / Anchorage), Brad Oleson, Doron Perkins

I thought Cusetroop was in Anchorage?

Last edited:
In the old days we tried to recruit Boozer. You would think that Alaskan's would feel at home in Syracuse, but Duke has the Alaska pipeline. Not a lot of traffic on that line but more than you might think.
Kyle Bailey, Damen Bell-Holter (Juneau/ Native American played for Celtics), Carlos Boozer (Juneau), Mario Chalmers (Anchorage), Kelsey Griffin, Ramon Harris, D'Angelo Harrison, Trajan Langdon (Native American / Anchorage), Brad Oleson, Doron Perkins
We need to send the 10M up there for some "exercises" (with prominent SU patches on the BDU's).

I am not sure we need to recruit nationally, we need a better conversion % and we should be offering/signing more players, every scholarship should be utilized every season, now we have all of them going forward, no excuses , and we should make a point to be the school of choice for NY state kids, even if they are not top 150, we should be offering the best players in NY state 1st, by the 10th grade, like Dino has been saying, focus on your state and the surrounding states. We should own NY.

If you look at the players we offered the past 8 years, our scouting was good.
Some years were better than others, but overall we offer the best of the best players in the North East.
If we closed some of the higher ranked players, we prob do not have this discussion .
If anything we should be spending more time down South.
I have no idea why we are not offering more players for 19 and 20, there will be plenty of room, especially now that we will be playing w a full deck of cards.

Ballpark - Past 8 years (2011 - 2018)
Offers - 106
Signed - 28

Curious to see how this comps with everyone else in the ACC.

Regardless, our recruiting could be better, but it also could be worse.

We were really taking advantage of the new ESPN tv coverage, Big East mania, the new dome and the huge regional super stars we got like Pearl, Sherman, Owens etc. Kids were recruiting us back then. Back then there also wasn’t AAU before college nor huge shoe rivalries/loyalties that divide kids up.
That is true. Maybe im stretching but SU is known for Basketball in every part of this country and globally. Outside of the middle east i have yet to travel anywhere and not have Syracuse recognized. We are one of a handful of schools that has this reach and i believe that we dont take advantage of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom