Why is he picking on Griffin??? | Syracusefan.com

Why is he picking on Griffin???

teddinut

Walk On
I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been a big Boeheim fan. Buddy...most definitely, Jim, definitely NOT. I always hear the other coaches talk about what a great guy Boeheim is. Ok, so why does this “great guy” berate his players on the sideline in front of everybody and embarrass them? It could easily be done in the LR and avoid the public humiliation.

But the main point of this post is to ask WHY IS HE PUNISHING and NOT PLAYING Alan Griffin? It’s astonishing. This is a guy who was second on the team in scoring, second in rebounding, first in blocks (by a wide margin), and averaged 1.2 steals a game. He’s also the most athletic player on the team who can jump out of his sneakers every night he’s on the floor. Can someone please tell me why Griff isn’t being given a chance to get even warmed up before he unceremoniously gets pulled at around the 15:00-16:00 mark in each of the last 4 halves they’ve played?? This is a VERY GOOD basketball player. He doesn’t deserve this kind of crap treatment by the coach. He deserves a chance to play his minutes as a starting junior on this team. No player of Griffin’s caliber should be yanked that early. Boeheim seems to pick a player every game to unload on. It was Joe, frequently, during most of the season...and I guess it’s Griffin’s turn right now. I just don’t like to see a player that good get berated and have his minutes more than cut in half. Is he TRYING to get Griffin to transfer again? He’s doing a great job of possibly getting Griffin to want to leave in my opinion.

Have you watched the games lately??? The bonehead plays and mistakes have been too costly especially with the rise of Braswell. Defense is huge for us in the tournament and our zone is just plain better with Braswell over Griffin. He needs to make shots/rebound/defend really well at the start of the game or hes getting yanked and Big bad Bobby is coming in.

I think AG will have an opportunity to contribute before this run is over. He has a propensity for taking bad shots and we can't afford wasted possessions this late in the year.

Just tell him to keep working.
Agree 100% To the OP AG is a shooter first. When he starts off cold or taking bad shots the one thing that keeps a coach from pulling him is playing halfway decent defense. He doesn't do that so he becomes a liability on both ends.

Buddy is a high IQ guy so he has a longer leash (and he is the coaches son). Kadary comes in form a cold or ineffective JGIII, and Braswell comes in for AG. Both guys are good defenders and not prone to poor decision making. AG is probably the streakiest player on the team. When he is god watch out. when he is bad it is hard to see him working his way out of it.

JB knows how great AG can be. He is trying to get him to focus. You could see it all year. The young man has all the talent. When he locks in, he is the best player on the team. He just never locks in for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Alan’s got to make more of an impact with the time granted to him.

Dion Waiters lit up every game coming off the bench and had an argument to be made with Jim. Offensively or defensively, you must be a net positive and effect the game.

Alan’s gotta make an impact. I’ve been one of his biggest advocates, but it’s March and you don’t eph with whats working.

It’s a team.

I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been a big Boeheim fan. Buddy...most definitely, Jim, definitely NOT. I always hear the other coaches talk about what a great guy Boeheim is. Ok, so why does this “great guy” berate his players on the sideline in front of everybody and embarrass them? It could easily be done in the LR and avoid the public humiliation.

But the main point of this post is to ask WHY IS HE PUNISHING and NOT PLAYING Alan Griffin? It’s astonishing. This is a guy who was second on the team in scoring, second in rebounding, first in blocks (by a wide margin), and averaged 1.2 steals a game. He’s also the most athletic player on the team who can jump out of his sneakers every night he’s on the floor. Can someone please tell me why Griff isn’t being given a chance to get even warmed up before he unceremoniously gets pulled at around the 15:00-16:00 mark in each of the last 4 halves they’ve played?? This is a VERY GOOD basketball player. He doesn’t deserve this kind of crap treatment by the coach. He deserves a chance to play his minutes as a starting junior on this team. No player of Griffin’s caliber should be yanked that early. Boeheim seems to pick a player every game to unload on. It was Joe, frequently, during most of the season...and I guess it’s Griffin’s turn right now. I just don’t like to see a player that good get berated and have his minutes more than cut in half. Is he TRYING to get Griffin to transfer again? He’s doing a great job of possibly getting Griffin to want to leave in my opinion.
It sounds like you haven't actually been watching the games.

What I've seen is Jim calmly talking to Alan on the sidelines explaining what he needs to do to improve his game within the team concept and Alan listening with an appreciative look on his face. The other indication that you haven't actually been watching the games is the number of times Alan drives into the lane only to get his shot blocked or make a bad pass.

Alan has some great basketball skills. He can be a great shooter with unlimited range. He's very athletic and has a high motor. But he's not helping the team in a way that's crucial at this time of the year on defense. IF Alan is shooting the lights out immediately, JB will tolerate his negatives, but if he's not making his shot, Jim's gonna put in Robert who is equally adept at hitting threes AND is solid in making the zone work. (the zone is a collective machine that works optimally when all the pieces are working together.)

Alan has a lot going for him, but there are some holes in his game that he needs to improve on in order to succeed on the next level. He's got to be able to drive into the paint without turning the ball over. When he figures that out, he'll not only secure his future, he'll also force Boeheim to play him a lot.

If you were actually paying attention, you'd notice that 1) Defense is SUPREMELY important in the NCAAT, and that 2) Jim Boeheim is such a fantastic coach, your bizarre perceptions of him are utterly unimportant to him and such fans as myself. If you really have a problem with Boeheim, you really should look for another team to be a fan of.

That's my opinion.

JB is doing an excellent job since the Duke game.

We lost to Georgia Tech but that game got Edwards minutes.
He has played since then.

We all have wanted the bench to
Play.
If Griffin doesn’t give effort on defense he should sit unless he is hot.

He played okay to start this WVU game made a 3 and assisted the Guerrier 3 instead of chucking up his own shot.
After that he got a little iso heavy.
Plus Braswell makes the defense better. His long arms disrupt passes and help the interior defense.
To go really far we are going to need Alan one time.

JB is managing this postseason perfectly.
He is riding hot hands and using 3 off the bench as necessary and giving everyone a rest.

Alan’s got to make more of an impact with the time granted to him.

Dion Waiters lit up every game coming off the bench and had an argument to be made with Jim. Offensively or defensively, you must be a net positive and effect the game.

Alan’s gotta make an impact. I’ve been one of his biggest advocates, but it’s March and you don’t eph with whats working.

It’s a team.
IdolizedYellowishGreatargus-max-1mb.gif

JB knows how great AG can be. He is trying to get him to focus. You could see it all year.
100% from the very first game. And not many players, who came before, have seemed to need JB’s hard ass-ness more than AG seems to need it.

Good news is that, all year long, he has seemed to handle the tough coaching well.

Focus big Al. Focus!

2nd post in 3 years - this must be quite the pressing matter for you

Tell you what though...give this kid credit for being an incredibly supportive teammate during this disappointing time for him. He's right there in the forefront of cheerleaders while it would be easy to sulk. I really like this guy and hope he breaks out of this and becomes a big factor before it's over. Having said that, it would be tough to take Braswell off the floor. He's been terrific.

JB gives some players longer leashes than others. He's shortened AG's over the later part of the season, probably because of his confidence in Bras and to a lesser extent, Jesse. That could give you the impression that he's punishing Griffin but it's just a by-product of JB using the weapons he has to win.

We're in the sweet 16 with Boeheim pushing all the right buttons at the moment. But yeah, let's focus on the one guy who isn't playing well and make it about him. If this isn't the AAU-ization of all things i don't know what is.

I really really hope Griffin leaves if this is the mentality about the current run. Kinda gross tbh

100% from the very first game. And not many players, who came before, have seemed to need JB’s hard ass-ness more than AG seems to need it.

Good news is that, all year long, he has seemed to handle the tough coaching well.

Focus big Al. Focus!
He seems like a great teammate. What he lacks is the fire. I forgot what game it was, maybe Buffalo. But, you could see their talking fired him up and he DOMINATED. He needs to learn how to get that for 40 minutes per game. If he does that, he’ll be cashing big checks. If not, he’ll bounce around the world and watch his talent drift away.

JB knows how great AG can be. He is trying to get him to focus. You could see it all year. The young man has all the talent. When he locks in, he is the best player on the team. He just never locks in for more than 5 minutes at a time.
Exactly. Staying focused is Griff’s biggest problem. Too often he tries to make the spectacular play on both offense and defense instead of just making the right play. And he also doesn’t let the game come to him and wants to force the issue. He’s had moments this season where he’s hyper focused but he often drifts. Plus Braswell right now does what needs to be done on defense and offense. We can also put Jesse in the middle and then move Marek to PF and Guerrier to SF. Lots of different combinations now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom