Why is he picking on Griffin??? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why is he picking on Griffin???

Griff has been playing badly. JB has given him more opportunities than many. If he plays well he will play. If not hes going to sit.

ive been watching all the jb press conferences since they got to indy. he specifically said griffin isnt playing as much because of defense. its got nothing to do with his offense.

I really really hope this is the dumbest thing I read all week.

One post from random unknown person on message board and your thought is to question the kid’s mentality and suggest he should leave - unreal

I prefaced everything with an IF. this is a messageboard we are speculating on what everyone says. Since when are we curating that.

I find the post...odd.

I prefaced everything with an IF. this is a messageboard we are speculating on what everyone says. Since when are we curating that.

I find the post...odd.
True you said if. Same goes for Buddy then I guess.

Edit: I think the point was that Griffin has given no indication that his attitude matches that of the post, so why even make the statement you did.

it really comes down to size for rebounding and positioning in the zone.. Griffins best ability is the backside block, but against some teams we just need more.

2nd post in 3 years - this must be quite the pressing matter for you
Yeah but...Don't scare the guy off. His post has generated some decent discussion.

And yes, I understand how saying "2nd post in 3 years - this must be quite the pressing matter for you" isn't exactly an ad hominem attack.

JB is treating AG like Joe earlier in the year IMO. He lets AG start and see how is shot is and how is defense is - if he’s playing well, JB will not take him out. Alan is getting his chance which is all he can ask for I think.

I agree with you guys too - eventually we WILL need a big offensive game for him. Teams are essentially putting their 3rd best perimeter defender on him - he had McNeil on him in the WVU game. These are matchups he should be able to take advantage of, and eventually Buddy will have an off game

Did you hear Jim Boeheim.. its not the offense. Its his defense and rebounding which has caused the early yanks... Braswell just does more of the little things

It sounds like you haven't actually been watching the games.

What I've seen is Jim calmly talking to Alan on the sidelines explaining what he needs to do to improve his game within the team concept and Alan listening with an appreciative look on his face. The other indication that you haven't actually been watching the games is the number of times Alan drives into the lane only to get his shot blocked or make a bad pass.

Alan has some great basketball skills. He can be a great shooter with unlimited range. He's very athletic and has a high motor. But he's not helping the team in a way that's crucial at this time of the year on defense. IF Alan is shooting the lights out immediately, JB will tolerate his negatives, but if he's not making his shot, Jim's gonna put in Robert who is equally adept at hitting threes AND is solid in making the zone work. (the zone is a collective machine that works optimally when all the pieces are working together.)

Alan has a lot going for him, but there are some holes in his game that he needs to improve on in order to succeed on the next level. He's got to be able to drive into the paint without turning the ball over. When he figures that out, he'll not only secure his future, he'll also force Boeheim to play him a lot.

If you were actually paying attention, you'd notice that 1) Defense is SUPREMELY important in the NCAAT, and that 2) Jim Boeheim is such a fantastic coach, your bizarre perceptions of him are utterly unimportant to him and such fans as myself. If you really have a problem with Boeheim, you really should look for another team to be a fan of.

That's my opinion.
Definitely,

A coaches job is to dictate who plays and who does not. Have we really got to the point that a coach can't express frustration with a player anymore? I have not seen anything out of JB that says he's going out of bounds with how he's treating AG. I think many coaches would be way more vocal expressing their anger with his play.

Immediately after he hit the 3 in the first half, he was out of position on defense and gave up a 3 point play. Braswell has earned his extended minutes as of late.

Can’t agree with any of that, and I think the other posters here have all put it very well about the circumstances of what is happening here. He is handling griffin just fine, and by Griffin’s post game victory reaction being elated I think he is OK with things as well.

That said even though I don’t think it has anything to do with this particular case, what I will say about our coach is some thing I’ve said for years and years, I wish he was better with the psychology of the sport as it portends to the players.

For example with Edwards, it is obvious he is 100% correct that he needs work and is not ready for the big time yet, but he can most certainly contribute.

I would like to see coach talk him up like he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread to maybe give him a little false confidence, or if not maybe not false confidence maybe the proper motivation takes him over the hump at this point in his career.

Instead of saying at this point in time in the tournaments that he is not “ready“, coach him up mentally about how well he’s doing, that he’s the man and that he expects him to make a big contribution right now. Save the active constructive criticism for after the tournament and down the road. It might work, and it might actually happen him being needed in a tough spot and that tact and approach might help him and ultimately the team.

That is a small point, however, right now. What is amazing is the big picture perspective In that we’ve got a great coach that had allowed them to be in this position at all.

It is frankly off the charts, and Buddy summed it up well. Let’s go to the final four and see what happens. It can happen, and if it does that’ll be due to our HOF coach.

Last edited:
Since this thread exists, I'll chime in on a JB shortcoming that simply makes me shake my head. During the WVA post game presser, he made a comment again about how Jesse is "not ready" and really struggled with the physicality of the game/WVA's personnel. Even commenting how on a play he just got pushed right out the way, etc. Then goes right to complimenting MD and how "our offense runs through him." Okay, fine, different point, but how many times have we seen MD get push out of the way or simply abused down low by other opponent's quality bigs?

Jesse has obviously contributed during our late season push. Why is it so difficult for JB to say in this instance, Jesse struggled a bit, and he needs to keep working, get stronger, etc. so that he can help us on a more consistent basis? It's as if he's hell bent on being "right" about his "not ready" position from the fan base static, that he is very well aware of. Just ask the UNC bigs what they said about Jesse after we beat them in the Dome the last week of the season. A far cry in their opinion of being true, at least in that game. Again, consistency is what JB's focus should be...at least in his public pressers. Just my $.02.

Edit: Cuseregular, I was in the process of typing my post prior to seeing your post above. Similar trains of thought on Edwards. :)

Last edited:
Since this thread exists, I'll chime in on a JB shortcoming that simply makes me shake my head. During the WVA post game presser, he made a comment again about how Jesse is "not ready" and really struggled with the physicality of the game/WVA's personnel. Even commenting how on a play he just got pushed right out the way, etc. Then goes right to complimenting MD and how "our offense runs through him." Okay, fine, different point, but how many times have we seen MD get push out of the way or simply abused down low by other opponent's quality bigs?

Jesse, has obviously contributed during our late season push. Why is it so difficult for JB to say in this instance, Jesse struggled a bit, and he needs to keep working, get stronger, etc. so that he can help us on a more consistent basis? It's as if he's hell bent on being "right" about his "not ready" position from the fan base static, that he is very well aware of. Just ask the UNC bigs what they said about Jesse after we beat them in the Dome the last week of the season. A far cry in their opinion of being true, at least in that game. Again, consistency is what JB's focus should be...at least in his public pressers. Just my $.02.
Ive seen Edwards make rebounds nobody else on the team was capable of making. He is a liability on offense, but if Marek isn’t handling the ball outside of the post he is too.

Is Jesse ready to play. 35 a game? No. Can he play 15-20 and contribute big minutes? Absolutely.

JBs statements don’t match up with the evidence being shown on the court.

I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been a big Boeheim fan. Buddy...most definitely, Jim, definitely NOT. I always hear the other coaches talk about what a great guy Boeheim is. Ok, so why does this “great guy” berate his players on the sideline in front of everybody and embarrass them? It could easily be done in the LR and avoid the public humiliation.

But the main point of this post is to ask WHY IS HE PUNISHING and NOT PLAYING Alan Griffin? It’s astonishing. This is a guy who was second on the team in scoring, second in rebounding, first in blocks (by a wide margin), and averaged 1.2 steals a game. He’s also the most athletic player on the team who can jump out of his sneakers every night he’s on the floor. Can someone please tell me why Griff isn’t being given a chance to get even warmed up before he unceremoniously gets pulled at around the 15:00-16:00 mark in each of the last 4 halves they’ve played?? This is a VERY GOOD basketball player. He doesn’t deserve this kind of crap treatment by the coach. He deserves a chance to play his minutes as a starting junior on this team. No player of Griffin’s caliber should be yanked that early. Boeheim seems to pick a player every game to unload on. It was Joe, frequently, during most of the season...and I guess it’s Griffin’s turn right now. I just don’t like to see a player that good get berated and have his minutes more than cut in half. Is he TRYING to get Griffin to transfer again? He’s doing a great job of possibly getting Griffin to want to leave in my opinion.
So the players who aren’t contributing more to our victories should play more than the ones who are?

There is so much to question Boeheim on and this is what your going with?

Last edited:
I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been a big Boeheim fan. Buddy...most definitely, Jim, definitely NOT. I always hear the other coaches talk about what a great guy Boeheim is. Ok, so why does this “great guy” berate his players on the sideline in front of everybody and embarrass them? It could easily be done in the LR and avoid the public humiliation.

But the main point of this post is to ask WHY IS HE PUNISHING and NOT PLAYING Alan Griffin? It’s astonishing. This is a guy who was second on the team in scoring, second in rebounding, first in blocks (by a wide margin), and averaged 1.2 steals a game. He’s also the most athletic player on the team who can jump out of his sneakers every night he’s on the floor. Can someone please tell me why Griff isn’t being given a chance to get even warmed up before he unceremoniously gets pulled at around the 15:00-16:00 mark in each of the last 4 halves they’ve played?? This is a VERY GOOD basketball player. He doesn’t deserve this kind of crap treatment by the coach. He deserves a chance to play his minutes as a starting junior on this team. No player of Griffin’s caliber should be yanked that early. Boeheim seems to pick a player every game to unload on. It was Joe, frequently, during most of the season...and I guess it’s Griffin’s turn right now. I just don’t like to see a player that good get berated and have his minutes more than cut in half. Is he TRYING to get Griffin to transfer again? He’s doing a great job of possibly getting Griffin to want to leave in
Did you hear Jim Boeheim.. its not the offense. Its his defense and rebounding which has caused the early yanks... Braswell just does more of the little things
The responses to this post are 180 degrees from what they would have been had cuse lost that weekend. And that’s fair to a degree. But media narrative aside - which I love and should hopefully boost recruiting a bit - I think most fair minded folks who follow cuse would agree that these 2 games don’t fully validate JBs coaching decisions this year, some of which were objectively bad. And it certainly does not change the fact that JB is unnecessarily gratuitous in being a jerk to some players and some media, including if not especially kids just trying to chart their path in the world. I’ll always root like hell for him and cuse and despite it all actually like the guy (maybe just pure bias) but I wished he realized there is a better way.

Best thread ever.
I thought, while crude and offensive, that “girl of the day” thread was awesome...oh yeah, I forgot who I was replying to.

He definitely got it from his mom. Such class and grace. Not saying Jim is not classy, but Buddy knows what he’s doing out there.
Yep, always gives it up for his teammates. I would like some of the other guys to get some of the attention, though. Pretty much everyone is playing their roles well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom