Why is he picking on Griffin??? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why is he picking on Griffin???

Just like Joe I can only imagine how effective Alan would be as a bench spark plug.

But Braswell is essential for our D and I wouldn't mind seeing Joe and Kadary on the court together with Buddy at forward.

Alan has to earn any PT he gets going forward.

All I know is that with the way Houston is constructed, AG has the chance to be MVP and Syracuse hero if he plays within his strengths for that game. He could be a huge factor in that game. When watching them against Rutgers, I kept thinking their team was basically made up of 4 Alan Griffins. He's utterly perfect for this game - if he plays within himself.

Just like Joe I can only imagine how effective Alan would be as a bench spark plug.

But Braswell is essential for our D and I wouldn't mind seeing Joe and Kadary on the court together with Buddy at forward.

Alan has to earn any PT he gets going forward.
I like the rotation right now. I think everyone knows their roles. Alan knows that his job is to go out and contribute positively in all the ways he can. When he loses focus, he gets pulled and Braswell comes in. If Braswell struggles, Alan can come back in or we can put Edwards in and slide Marek and Q down. The bad part for Alan is, Braswell has been killing it when he comes in.

So we win a couple of ncaat games and a bunch of newbs starting crazy threads on here.
This won’t be a popular comment given the audience, and it’s not directed at you in particular, but the prevailing view (inferred anyways) among many “regulars” on this board that those who don’t choose to post regularly on a college basketball message board are less knowledgeable, less credible, less invested, or otherwise less deserving of offering a view worthy of consideration is a bit pathetic.

This won’t be a popular comment given the audience, and it’s not directed at you in particular, but the prevailing view (inferred anyways) among many “regulars” on this board that those who don’t choose to post regularly on a college basketball message board are less knowledgeable, less credible, less invested, or otherwise less deserving of offering a view worthy of consideration is a bit pathetic.
There have been many new posters that have been encouraged to post more. But, many do get a bit of hazing, especially when they start out with crazy H0T Takes. If you find it pathetic, why do you come here?

I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been a big Boeheim fan. Buddy...most definitely, Jim, definitely NOT. I always hear the other coaches talk about what a great guy Boeheim is. Ok, so why does this “great guy” berate his players on the sideline in front of everybody and embarrass them? It could easily be done in the LR and avoid the public humiliation.

But the main point of this post is to ask WHY IS HE PUNISHING and NOT PLAYING Alan Griffin? It’s astonishing. This is a guy who was second on the team in scoring, second in rebounding, first in blocks (by a wide margin), and averaged 1.2 steals a game. He’s also the most athletic player on the team who can jump out of his sneakers every night he’s on the floor. Can someone please tell me why Griff isn’t being given a chance to get even warmed up before he unceremoniously gets pulled at around the 15:00-16:00 mark in each of the last 4 halves they’ve played?? This is a VERY GOOD basketball player. He doesn’t deserve this kind of crap treatment by the coach. He deserves a chance to play his minutes as a starting junior on this team. No player of Griffin’s caliber should be yanked that early. Boeheim seems to pick a player every game to unload on. It was Joe, frequently, during most of the season...and I guess it’s Griffin’s turn right now. I just don’t like to see a player that good get berated and have his minutes more than cut in half. Is he TRYING to get Griffin to transfer again? He’s doing a great job of possibly getting Griffin to want to leave in my opinion.

you can direct it at me. Im a big boy. I still think some new ppl coming on here and posting crazy takes. I hope that thought doesnt get your panties too twisted.

you can direct it at me. Im a big boy. And, no offense but your opinion doesn’t carry much weight with me. I still think some new ppl coming on here and posting crazy takes. I hope that thought doesnt get your panties too twisted.

Imagine all the ones that get screened by the mods before we even see them!

Lol there’s some truth to that, but Buddy pays attention to social media a little bit too much just like his father based on his presser the other day.

Maybe. But he is actually far more polished in responding to that sort of stuff and he has the same encyclopedic knowledge of SU basketball history (at least post 2000's) that his dad does. He's quite the different player interview than normal.

Also - it was sorta cool to see him step up to defend his dad in a more gentle "not 10 games" sort of way.

All I know is that with the way Houston is constructed, AG has the chance to be MVP and Syracuse hero if he plays within his strengths for that game. He could be a huge factor in that game. When watching them against Rutgers, I kept thinking their team was basically made up of 4 Alan Griffins. He's utterly perfect for this game - if he plays within himself.
If he does, and becomes “hero” of the game, all of the posts will be of the “see! This proves JB was too hard on him” variety.

The responses to this post are 180 degrees from what they would have been had cuse lost that weekend. And that’s fair to a degree. But media narrative aside - which I love and should hopefully boost recruiting a bit - I think most fair minded folks who follow cuse would agree that these 2 games don’t fully validate JBs coaching decisions this year, some of which were objectively bad. And it certainly does not change the fact that JB is unnecessarily gratuitous in being a jerk to some players and some media, including if not especially kids just trying to chart their path in the world. I’ll always root like hell for him and cuse and despite it all actually like the guy (maybe just pure bias) but I wished he realized there is a better way.
This is so wrong it begs my response. These last two games did indeed validate the fact that JB's coaching decisions were 100% correct at mid-season. By every source available, JB did not give even a millisecond of thought to the criticisms of fans and media pundits.

He did not play Jesse and Kadary and Robert more earlier, when you were complaining, because in his judgment they weren't ready to take a chance on in games without jeopardizing the chance of a win. He could see their mistakes in practices, the one's you didn't see. His lifetime of watching players under his tutelage develop over the course of a season told him that they might be able to help the team he was building later on.

Now, they've been playing more, not because he finally decided to try the rotation suggestions some fans were voicing, but because in his judgment they were ready enough to take a chance on and not for any other reason. He did not reconsider his judgments, but doubled-down on them, and we now see the results. The proof of the validity of his coaching decisions then is what you see now.

He's built this team by doing things his way and by not giving a dam about what you or anyone else had to say about it.

You guys think you were able to see the potential of JE/KR/RB and Boeheim didn't? He was the first to see their potential, but he was also aware of all the mistakes they were making in practice, that could easily cost a win if he put them in when the outcome of a game was at all in doubt.

You guys really need to get over this group-narcissistic idea that the team is now succeeding because you had anything at all to do with it with your opinions. Your mistake was in thinking that you could see anything that JB couldn't see and then leaping to the ridiculous conclusion that he must be stupid, incompetent, pathologically 'stubborn', etc.

If you're enjoying this run, you can be thankful that JB ignored your crap and stubbornly developed the team the way he knew how to do it.

smh...a lot...

It’s about the post, not the poster. If a board regular posts something illogical or nonsensical, they get just as much grief as any newbie who does the same- believe me, I know!
At this point, any criticisms I’ve had about JB throughout the season, and they’ve been many, is put to the side so i can enjoy this tremendous post-season run...again.
We’re lucky to have him- warts and all.

It sounds like you haven't actually been watching the games.

What I've seen is Jim calmly talking to Alan on the sidelines explaining what he needs to do to improve his game within the team concept and Alan listening with an appreciative look on his face. The other indication that you haven't actually been watching the games is the number of times Alan drives into the lane only to get his shot blocked or make a bad pass.

Alan has some great basketball skills. He can be a great shooter with unlimited range. He's very athletic and has a high motor. But he's not helping the team in a way that's crucial at this time of the year on defense. IF Alan is shooting the lights out immediately, JB will tolerate his negatives, but if he's not making his shot, Jim's gonna put in Robert who is equally adept at hitting threes AND is solid in making the zone work. (the zone is a collective machine that works optimally when all the pieces are working together.)

Alan has a lot going for him, but there are some holes in his game that he needs to improve on in order to succeed on the next level. He's got to be able to drive into the paint without turning the ball over. When he figures that out, he'll not only secure his future, he'll also force Boeheim to play him a lot.

If you were actually paying attention, you'd notice that 1) Defense is SUPREMELY important in the NCAAT, and that 2) Jim Boeheim is such a fantastic coach, your bizarre perceptions of him are utterly unimportant to him and such fans as myself. If you really have a problem with Boeheim, you really should look for another team to be a fan of.

That's my opinion.
You make many great points here, but if you haven’t seen JB talking to AG in less than a ‘calm manner’ several times, you’re missing out. Dressing him down, as they say in the military, has occurred several times. Just for the sake of clarity.

There have been many new posters that have been encouraged to post more. But, many do get a bit of hazing, especially when they start out with crazy H0T Takes. If you find it pathetic, why do you come here?
Fair. To your question, primarily for articles, recruiting news and info and insights from a couple dozen folks (like sutomcat post game views). I generally don’t scroll the threads like I used to - more so for sure when we’re making a run like this - that’s in part bc of all the idiotic and sophomoric comments but there will be a lot of that with every fanbase and it comes with the territory (esp in bad times - ie genuine anger at someone for choosing to leave) so really not a big deal. It was just an observation. It is humorous that those who mock others are generally the least capable of receiving the same. To be clear I appreciate all those who take the time to gather articles and provide info and insights and make this website the resource that it is.

Can’t agree with any of that, and I think the other posters here have all put it very well about the circumstances of what is happening here. He is handling griffin just fine, and by Griffin’s post game victory reaction being elated I think he is OK with things as well.

That said even though I don’t think it has anything to do with this particular case, what I will say about our coach is some thing I’ve said for years and years, I wish he was better with the psychology of the sport as it portends to the players.

For example with Edwards, it is obvious he is 100% correct that he needs work and is not ready for the big time yet, but he can most certainly contribute.

I would like to see coach talk him up like he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread to maybe give him a little false confidence, or if not maybe not false confidence maybe the proper motivation takes him over the hump at this point in his career.

Instead of saying at this point in time in the tournaments that he is not “ready“, coach him up mentally about how well he’s doing, that he’s the man and that he expects him to make a big contribution right now. Save the active constructive criticism for after the tournament and down the road. It might work, and it might actually happen him being needed in a tough spot and that tact and approach might help him and ultimately the team.

That is a small point, however, right now. What is amazing is the big picture perspective In that we’ve got a great coach that had allowed them to be in this position at all.

It is frankly off the charts, and Buddy summed it up well. Let’s go to the final four and see what happens. It can happen, and if it does that’ll be due to our HOF coach.
My guess is that the assistant coaches are working to build Edwards' confidence behind the the scenes. I can't get in JB's head, but there may be a reason for his public comments.

Fair. To your question, primarily for articles, recruiting news and info and insights from a couple dozen folks (like sutomcat post game views). I generally don’t scroll the threads like I used to - more so for sure when we’re making a run like this - that’s in part bc of all the idiotic and sophomoric comments but there will be a lot of that with every fanbase and it comes with the territory (esp in bad times - ie genuine anger at someone for choosing to leave) so really not a big deal. It was just an observation. It is humorous that those who mock others are generally the least capable of receiving the same. To be clear I appreciate all those who take the time to gather articles and provide info and insights and make this website the resource that it is.
That’s cool. I am sure I am one of the main culprits, as idiotic and sophomoric is my wheelehouse. But, this is my outlet, I apologize.

I’ll preface this by saying I’ve never been a big Boeheim fan. Buddy...most definitely, Jim, definitely NOT. I always hear the other coaches talk about what a great guy Boeheim is. Ok, so why does this “great guy” berate his players on the sideline in front of everybody and embarrass them? It could easily be done in the LR and avoid the public humiliation.

But the main point of this post is to ask WHY IS HE PUNISHING and NOT PLAYING Alan Griffin? It’s astonishing. This is a guy who was second on the team in scoring, second in rebounding, first in blocks (by a wide margin), and averaged 1.2 steals a game. He’s also the most athletic player on the team who can jump out of his sneakers every night he’s on the floor. Can someone please tell me why Griff isn’t being given a chance to get even warmed up before he unceremoniously gets pulled at around the 15:00-16:00 mark in each of the last 4 halves they’ve played?? This is a VERY GOOD basketball player. He doesn’t deserve this kind of crap treatment by the coach. He deserves a chance to play his minutes as a starting junior on this team. No player of Griffin’s caliber should be yanked that early. Boeheim seems to pick a player every game to unload on. It was Joe, frequently, during most of the season...and I guess it’s Griffin’s turn right now. I just don’t like to see a player that good get berated and have his minutes more than cut in half. Is he TRYING to get Griffin to transfer again? He’s doing a great job of possibly getting Griffin to want to leave in my opinion.
What games you watching? I dont see him berating him at all. We need him to score in these tournament games. And from the start you can tell he’s a little off so he gets pulled.

If
This is so wrong it begs my response. These last two games did indeed validate the fact that JB's coaching decisions were 100% correct at mid-season. By every source available, JB did not give even a millisecond of thought to the criticisms of fans and media pundits.

He did not play Jesse and Kadary and Robert more earlier, when you were complaining, because in his judgment they weren't ready to take a chance on in games without jeopardizing the chance of a win. He could see their mistakes in practices, the one's you didn't see. His lifetime of watching players under his tutelage develop over the course of a season told him that they might be able to help the team he was building later on.

Now, they've been playing more, not because he finally decided to try the rotation suggestions some fans were voicing, but because in his judgment they were ready enough to take a chance on and not for any other reason. He did not reconsider his judgments, but doubled-down on them, and we now see the results. The proof of the validity of his coaching decisions then is what you see now.

He's built this team by doing things his way and by not giving a dam about what you or anyone else had to say about it.

You guys think you were able to see the potential of JE/KR/RB and Boeheim didn't? He was the first to see their potential, but he was also aware of all the mistakes they were making in practice, that could easily cost a win if he put them in when the outcome of a game was at all in doubt.

You guys really need to get over this group-narcissistic idea that the team is now succeeding because you had anything at all to do with it with your opinions. Your mistake was in thinking that you could see anything that JB couldn't see and then leaping to the ridiculous conclusion that he must be stupid, incompetent, pathologically 'stubborn', etc.

If you're enjoying this run, you can be thankful that JB ignored your crap and stubbornly developed the team the way he knew how to do it.

smh...a lot...

smh...a lot...
For whatever it may be worth, if I’ve posted something critical of JB 5x in my life I would be surprised. There is so much wrong with your response - including the assumption that the comment was exclusive to PT - but I’ve added enough negativity for one day : ). I hope everyone has a great Saturday night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom