Why no Washington in second half. | Syracusefan.com

Why no Washington in second half.

We scored 47 2nd half points... Washington isn’t that much better on D than Buddy or JG

We outscored them in the first half - seems more significant to outscore the opponent. Not sure the 47 points is all that relevant - he's better defensively. It's a trade off.

Anyway, I think the question was just more based on how he played in the first half. The team did have a pretty notable turnaround once he came in. I'm not sure why he didn't get run earlier in the second half - obviously at the end, following the taunt, JGIIII was pretty outstanding (mostly). Before that, less so.

Team really played well with him out there in the first half. He turned the game around.

To answer your question, it's simply because that's how JB typically rolls and has for years, especially after those early relative cupcake December ones and we get into the conference & late season games. He gives a couple of bench players minimal token minutes in the first half, and then generally only inserts them in the 2nd half if a guy is in foul trouble or on the occasion when JB feels that the margin in the 2nd half is substantially enough to take on that risk in his mind.

Who was he supposed to play for exactly? And who scores those points exactly?

I mean, we had scored 16 points in the first 10 minutes of the second half and were down 8. We weren't scoring a ton of points at that juncture. I would imagine JGIII was like a negative 20 million on the floor at that point, and Howard was a 10+.

I'm not a huge HoWa guy, so I don't much care, as he seems just as blah as everyone else, but he does offer up a slightly different skill set.

Elijah got hot while he was in, I noticed no improvement in defense though. I think he should get more time to see if it benefits the O but other than that I like the edge Joe gives us.

Elijah got hot while he was in, I noticed no improvement in defense though. I think he should get more time to see if it benefits the O but other than that I like the edge Joe gives us.
Washington gets Hughes involved better, JG3 looks to Buddy more the Hughes. I don't think it is intentional just habit.

Washington gets Hughes involved better, JG3 looks to Buddy more the Hughes. I don't think it is intentional just habit.

probably why the offense appears faster and more effective then. Hughes looks to penetrate, draw multiple defenders and will dish to an open teammate if he doesnt have a shot. He renders Sidibe and Marek effective.

Buddy moves in the same area on one side of the perimeter and doesnt have the ability to penatrate. Not an insult, he’s just not developed much versatility to his o yet.

syracuse now with 2 in the top 5 ACC mpg. king elijah holds his crown at #1 and BB is #5. (marek #11)
and someone asks why no washington second half ? why no subs ever !

(FWIW vernon carey avg's about 24 mpg. 24 pts in 25 minutes yesterday)

Last edited:
I thought Washington played well too but there was an issue with #3, that Hugg kid, and Howard where he got pretty upset at Hugg. JB took him out shortly afterwards. A guy sitting behind us said that the Hugg kid was a punk , getting into Washington’s head and ticking him off . I did see Hugg grabbing Howard’s jersey, bumping, face guarding but not when Washington got visibly upset and was pulled.

probably why the offense appears faster and more effective then. Hughes looks to penetrate, draw multiple defenders and will dish to an open teammate if he doesnt have a shot. He renders Sidibe and Marek effective.

Buddy moves in the same area on one side of the perimeter and doesnt have the ability to penatrate. Not an insult, he’s just not developed much versatility to his o yet.
JG3 doesn't drive the ball. The best shot he took was off of a drive and kick from Hughes.

Until the kid woke him up by stepping over him JG3 was having a bad game 13 of his 20 points came in the last 5mins.

Washington doesn't shoot the ball so teams will start to force him to shoot if his minutes raise.

I thought Washington played well too but there was an issue with #3, that Hugg kid, and Howard where he got pretty upset at Hugg. JB took him out shortly afterwards. A guy sitting behind us said that the Hugg kid was a punk , getting into Washington’s head and ticking him off . I did see Hugg grabbing Howard’s jersey, bumping, face guarding but not when Washington got visibly upset and was pulled.

Huh, never noticed that watching the game yesterday. Some of that seems like pretty normal stuff...

I mean, we had scored 16 points in the first 10 minutes of the second half and were down 8. We weren't scoring a ton of points at that juncture. I would imagine JGIII was like a negative 20 million on the floor at that point, and Howard was a 10+.

I'm not a huge HoWa guy, so I don't much care, as he seems just as blah as everyone else, but he does offer up a slightly different skill set.

This is almost exactly my sentiment. I'm not a HoWa fan at all, but in this particular game he seemed to spark the team when he was in at the end of the first half, or at least he was part of a combination that functioned really well together in that time period. When we are headed towards double digits down in the second half, I thought he might get some run.....althought I will caveat this by saying HoWa is not the answer to what troubles us this season.

Agree. We should have tried to play 6 on 5 in the second half just to see if we could get away with it. Buddy and JGIII were playing exceptionally well and were obviously not tiring.

Huh, never noticed that watching the game yesterday. Some of that seems like pretty normal stuff...

I noticed Hugg’s act pretty early but just figured he was a jerk who would be in foul trouble at some point. Never happened. The yapping part he and JG3 denied was going on. Couldn’t believe that Brey coming out on the floor screaming like a madman wasn’t another tech when Hugg was called and he was defending his act out there. Lots of emotion during that game.

joe g3 seems to be doing a lot of yapping for a frosh guard putting up pedestrian numbers on an 8-6 team .
i like moxie. when you've earned it. needs to channel a bit more of his energy and enthusiasm into his game .

( and lose the pseudo duke flopping and floor slapping.) create your own thing here. kid could be great.

He rebounds better is 4 inches taller and much quicker/longer than Joe. Howard plays much better D than Joe its not even close.
But Joe also shot the ball well in the 2nd half. Does the better defense make up for the loss of scoring, if Joe sits?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom