Why not an ACC Network?? | Syracusefan.com

Why not an ACC Network??

JarHeadJim

I have never won sheet!
If the B 10 network is so profitable why not start an ACC network?

Can someone explain what would be on this ACC Network? If ACC/ESPN combine for an ACC Network, what exactly would ESPN show on their channels?

Are we talking Non Revenue sports and ACC/FCS tune up games? If so, Im not really sure why this matters? Who from ACC country is going to pay EXTRA to watch SU Soccer vs WF? SU Volleyball vs NC State? I certainly won't. Not sure other school fanbases will either.

If it is anything like what it is on the B1G network, then probably. They show every football game and then random B1G sports and also the studio shows to cover B1G sports.

I watched PSU / Indiana on it last weekend for a bit.

From a recent Teel article...

Possible future initiatives include an ACC channel that would be available throughout league markets such as Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, Raleigh, Miami, Chicago and Virginia.

Raycom Sports/Jefferson Pilot Communications now brands its exclusive coverage of ACC football and basketball as the "ACC Network". Their coverage is picked up by regional stations, such as MASN, but my cable provider (Comcast) doesn't offer the "ACC Network" as a separate, stand-alone station.

I don't get the allure of the BTN. I mean, other than in the Midwest, who really tunes in to that channel. I have had DirecTV for years and I can honestly say other than once in a blue moon, or in the rare instance that SU is on it when they played Minnesota, I never tune in. If there's a big B1G game on during most weekends, it's either on ABC or ESPN, etc. To my knowledge, seldom/never is the marque B1G game on the BTN.

I just don't see how their future projections regarding revenue can be accurate. Quoting, "the math just doesn't add up." :noidea:

I don't get the allure of the BTN. I mean, other than in the Midwest, who really tunes in to that channel. I have had DirecTV for years and I can honestly say other than once in a blue moon, or in the rare instance that SU is on it when they played Minnesota, I never tune in. If there's a big B1G game on during most weekends, it's either on ABC or ESPN, etc. To my knowledge, seldom/never is the marque B1G game on the BTN.

I just don't see how their future projections regarding revenue can be accurate. Quoting, "the math just doesn't add up." :noidea:

Im in the same boat. Have had BTN as part of my DirectV for years, and only watched the SU Minny game i think. Now if SU was in the B1G and I needed it to watch SU then yeah, i guess I would watch. But B1G Network is as uiseless as YES when the Yanks arent on.

That was my question yesterday, and as a few people pointed out, ESPN's deal includes Tier 3. Which is a good explanation.

So my follow up question to that would be this. It was mentioned in a Teel article (posted here), that the ACC is trying to go back for round 3 with ESPN, based on ND's partial membership. Given the very vocal concern about Tier 3 from the first time around (from FSU), can Tier 3 potentially come off the table on the ESPN side? Or at least get a better cut from ESPN to cover it?

Can someone explain what would be on this ACC Network? If ACC/ESPN combine for an ACC Network, what exactly would ESPN show on their channels?

Are we talking Non Revenue sports and ACC/FCS tune up games? If so, Im not really sure why this matters? Who from ACC country is going to pay EXTRA to watch SU Soccer vs WF? SU Volleyball vs NC State? I certainly won't. Not sure other school fanbases will either.

which is why i wonder why the big 10 network is so valuable

i agree that the programming of an acc network would blow most of the time

but i also think the same thing about the big 10 network which for some reason i'll never understand is considered to be the biggest gold mine in history. i'm with orangecuse. if maryland pays 50 mil to leave based on some power point of the value of the big 10 network, i think they'll end up regretting it

Here is a link to an article that exposes the sad truth: the ACC gave up its leverage to create its own cable channel in order to rescue Raycom Sports, a small regional company for which Swofford's son works. There is no reason why the BTN should be able to make tens of millions from the DC market merely by grabbing Maryland while the ACC has been getting, and will continue to get, zero. That is a market the ACC should dominate.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2010/10/04/daily3.html?page=all

which is why i wonder why the big 10 network is so valuable

i agree that the programming of an acc network would blow most of the time

but i also think the same thing about the big 10 network which for some reason i'll never understand is considered to be the biggest gold mine in history. i'm with orangecuse. if maryland pays 50 mil to leave based on some power point of the value of the big 10 network, i think they'll end up regretting it

I get that Michigan has a rabid fan base, and if their Tier II games are on B10 network, then yes, they need to have it. Multiply that by the number of rabid fanbases in B10 (OSU, Mich, PSU etc) and you can see why they make the money they do.

From an ACC perspective, I just dont see that same "demand" for the football product. Thats just the way it is. Besides Clemson, and maybe FSU, I am not seeing those rabid football fanbases.

It is what it is.

Think about what the B1G is doing. They are becoming the defacto "NFL Commisioners Office" of the NCAA. They are inviting teams and making them apart of THEIR TV Distribution package.

Why the doesnt the B1G 10 just keep expanding to include EVERY current Big5 school, split them up into four 16 team "Divisions" and create a playoff format where the Division winners play for a championship. Ohhhh becuase that would be illegal right?

I get that Michigan has a rabid fan base, and if their Tier II games are on B10 network, then yes, they need to have it. Multiply that by the number of rabid fanbases in B10 (OSU, Mich, PSU etc) and you can see why they make the money they do.

From an ACC perspective, I just dont see that same "demand" for the football product. Thats just the way it is. Besides Clemson, and maybe FSU, I am not seeing those rabid football fanbases.

It is what it is.

Think about what the B1G is doing. They are becoming the defacto "NFL Commisioners Office" of the NCAA. They are inviting teams and making them apart of THEIR TV Distribution package.

Why the doesnt the B1G 10 just keep expanding to include EVERY current Big5 school, split them up into four 16 team "Divisions" and create a playoff format where the Division winners play for a championship. Ohhhh becuase that would be illegal right?

it must be some roundabout way of doing pay per view. fill time with a bunch of junk no one watches instead of just charging people to watch the game. either way people pay to watch that one game

SU games that are on SNY, MSG, TW Sports, ESPN3, etc would be on an ACCN instead.

The B1G network is a money maker because it got picked up by a lot of TV providers. The network gets money based on the number of subscribers no matter if you watch it or not. Don't care about Indiana v Northwestern volleyball, guess what your still giving your money to the B1G if you can tune in that channel. All the ACC nework would have to do is get picked up by the major providers on the east cost and it will make money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom