Why? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why?

I love what I do and do not want to retire (i'm 47). I'm sure being the HC of a top 10 historic program, being healthy is something he wants to keep doing if he has the energy to do so.

The off ramp was:
1. probation 2.0 (blew by that)
2. kids graduating (blew by that marker)
3. a final four in 16 (blew by that)

All these bread crumbs leave me with the notion that he loves what he does, isn't moved by sitting around doing nothing
There’s many other options besides “Syracuse basketball coach” and “sitting around doing nothing” especially when you have the money and connections he has.

I truly believe he knows the ship is sinking and he wants to turn it around before he hands the key to someone else, except the ship has sunk lower and lower and all he could do is keep doing it because he will not admit defeat.

Meanwhile he has worked out a system that allows him to continue working with less intensity and wear. He travels less for recruits, he puts in less time running practices, he employs the zone exclusively whereas M2M requires a bit of time and effort to scout opponents before each game, but these are all catching up to him.

He knows no other life.

He's stuck in a rabbit hole of trying to go out on a winning note. The more he tries, the further he gets.
Maybe he wants tea with Alice while he should be with Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

Why is Jim still coaching?

Wants the win record, ego, afraid to retire and the life ahead, pure stubbornness.

What else we got?

He's probably embarrased that he inheritted the program in a good state and now it's in a horrible state. Might want to fix it but can't face the fact that it's too late.

The truly sad thing here is that the head coach of 47 years is destroying his own legacy.
I'm confident that JB will be remembered for the totality of his body of work and not these past few years that have been duds. Like I don't think Bobby Bowden and Denny Crum for instance are remembered for the lousy finishes.

Ugh, retiring in 2016 after the Final Four would have been just the perfect curtain call on a very high note.

For some, retirement is an acknowledgement that death is one day closer. SU basketball is Jim's life. Combine that with a stubborn personality, which obviously drove a lot of his success too, leads to this situation. I'm sure it's terribly difficult for him -- I don't envy what he's going through. Most people get to do this in private. He has to do it in public. I get it -- I don't like it -- but I can empathize.

You know, I don't buy this a bit, that it's so "difficult" for him to retire.

He's rich, he just bought a new house on Skaneateles Lake.
His kids have graduated from college. He has a beautiful, lovely wife and still has his health.

He's stubborn. He's arrogant. He's got this "savior complex" - only I can fix this.

When he accidentally killed that guy on the highway a few years ago, you would think it maybe would have indicated to him that life is fleeting, life is precious, and it can be snatched away in a moment.

He sucks at his job now. He's not even a mediocre, average coach anymore. He can't get decent players, and he won't change up his in-game strategy, even though it clearly doesn't work anymore.

It's simple...he loves SU with all his heart and let's face it...he's pretty much built the SU basketball brand as we know it today. I'm sure he wants to leave it in good shape before turning it over to someone he trusts. Unfortunately, the state of the program is slipping and he's trying to right the ship. In my opinion, he's entitled to a seat at the table in determining how that all happens.

Our national title team would lose 10+ games if he was coaching them now.
I'm confident that JB will be remembered for the totality of his body of work and not these past few years that have been duds. Like I don't think Bobby Bowden and Denny Crum for instance are remembered for the lousy finishes.

Ugh, retiring in 2016 after the Final Four would have been just the perfect curtain call on a very high note.
im convinced that 2018 would’ve been it if Buddy wasn’t coming here.

The truly sad thing here is that the head coach of 47 years is destroying his own legacy.

Which do you remember?

1677166082068.png
or
1677166102088.png
?

It's simple...he loves SU with all his heart and let's face it...he's pretty much built the SU basketball brand as we know it today. I'm sure he wants to leave it in good shape before turning it over to someone he trusts. Unfortunately, the state of the program is slipping and he's trying to right the ship. In my opinion, he's entitled to a seat at the table in determining how that all happens.

I'm sorry, but you're several years too late with this post.

And for the record, we made the Quarterfinals in the '50s, and the Final Four in the '70s, before he was ever the coach. The Big East and ESPN made SU basketball at least as much as Boeheim did.

Juli didn’t sign up for this. Not into his late 70s. She needs to make him understand that he’s missing out on seeing his sons play better basketball than his teams are playing
Maybe she did, could you imagine being around him 24/7?

Maybe she did, could you imagine being around him 24/7?
I’ve wondered that as well. Maybe she actually goes and watches the boys play without him. And enjoys it.

Last edited:
He must have atleast another year on his contract and has already alluded to coming back next season.

I fully expect him back. That’s hard for me to say because we need a split expeditiously.

I just do not see him quitting or retiring. The only way we get a change is if the BOT, President, and AD decide it’s best for the program. I do not see them forcing JB out under any circumstances.

So best case scenario is he finishes out his contract(assuming it’s only one more year) and we make a clean break with no extensions.

The huge problem is next season could be an unmitigated disaster. Several guys could leave. One guy committed. Never been great at portal.

Why do people equate retiring with the couch and doing nothing?

I don't think people who are 65 think that way, but someone still working as they approach 80 probably starts to fear it.

The guy loves golf, he could play every day. He could get a TV gig if he wanted it.

Nah, I'll stick around and scream at a bunch of refs and college kids. Sounds way more fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom