Why? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Why?

It took all the ingredients: JB, the Dome, ESPN, the Big East, no pro competition, small-city desire to have something put in on the map, etc. etc.
He found himself in a great situation, but how many others would have parlayed it into a higher paying job or held the school hostage. As far as I know, he never did either.

It took all the ingredients: JB, the Dome, ESPN, the Big East, no pro competition, small-city desire to have something put in on the map, etc. etc.
Speaking of no pro competition, I believe the Nationals turned Syracuse into a basketball town to the benefit of the Orange hoops program.

He found himself in a great situation, but how many others would have parlayed it into a higher paying job or held the school hostage. As far as I know, he never did either.
Wasn’t he accepting a job at Rochester if he didn’t get this one? Anybody really think that Rochester would be a basketball power and Syracuse would still be playing on a dirt floor without him?

Tinfoil hat - Tinfiol hate

“All of the actions, or nearly all of the actions that these two assistant coaches took, were covert,” IARP arbitrator Dana Welch said. “With respect to former assistant men’s basketball coach No. 1, they were criminal. It took the FBI two years of wiretapping to find out what he had done. So in our view, these kind of actions could not have been detected by the head coach.”

The infractions report said it “found no violation for the former head men’s basketball coach because the hearing panel determined that the former head men’s basketball coach demonstrated that he promoted an atmosphere of compliance and monitored two of his assistant coaches regarding the academic eligibility of men’s basketball prospective student-athletes, rebutting the presumption of head coach responsibility.”

Richardson was fired by the university and later pleaded guilty to accepting $20,000 in bribes from aspiring business manager Christian Dawkins. He was sentenced to three months in prison in 2019.

Lol. Yea, all 4 head coaches got off, and all 4 assts got in trouble. Makes perfect sense. They knew nothing.

Lol. Yea, all 4 head coaches got off, and all 4 assts got in trouble. Makes perfect sense. They knew nothing.

Well FBI and NCAA both said so but you said different so ... Bees >>> FBI and NCAA

Wasn’t he accepting a job at Rochester if he didn’t get this one? Anybody really think that Rochester would be a basketball power and Syracuse would still be playing on a dirt floor without him?
No, but Jay Wright started his coaching career at U of R so you never know how that would have ended up for JAB.

Well FBI and NCAA both said so but you said different so ... Bees >>> FBI and NCAA

They said there was no proof. I have a bridge to sell you.

So FBI did 2 year investigation and found nothing to connect Miller. That is wrong and people covering up for Miller.

FBI did 2 year investigation and found nothing to connect Fine. That is correct nothing to see here move along.

You can't believe one without believing the other. You can't say one group of people are just throwing stuff out there with no evidence and then do the same thing.

Why is Jim still coaching?

Wants the win record, ego, afraid to retire and the life ahead, pure stubbornness.

What else we got?

He probably wants to retire with a decent season and the program stable. Unfortunately I don’t think he has it in him anymore. Things are getting progressively worse every year this drags on.

I think it's probably accurate to say that without the "it's time" noise around him, building louder each year, he would have retired by now - if only because he would have considered it on his terms

JB's thoughts/rantings: I'LL PROVE THEM ALL WRONG...NONE OF THEM HAS ANY CLUE ABOUT THE GAME...I BUILT THIS THING AND IT'S MINE... etc etc
Bingo

But the NCAA railroaded Jim.

Alrighty then.

Did I say that or is this just deflection? The reverse is Miller knew nothing about his assistant cheating but JB knew someone helped Melo with a paper and should have been fired.

Speaking of no pro competition, I believe the Nationals turned Syracuse into a basketball town to the benefit of the Orange hoops program.

Yeah, the Dave Bing Era began just as the nationals were leaving for Philly. We needed something to get us through the winter.

JB quote on Coach K from SWC75's report on 02/16 call-in show (last post in thread):
He’s 72 and was in coaching for 50 years. That’s enough. When you retire and you’re past 70 – you do nothing.”

JB keeps coaching b/c he's afraid to retire to "nothing".
This take, right or wrong, makes me have empathy for JB vs. be upset with him. I feel sorry for JB.
He should be happy b/c he's doing what he "wants" -but is misguided, therefore don't think he is happy.
Afraid to retire.

I personally think it has nothing to do with catching K or anything like that. I think it has something to do with not knowing what to do if he retires but even more than that I think he would be gone already if he didn't feel wronged by the NCAA the last time around. He wants to get the program going again where it was as to prove them wrong. He just can't because he doesn't have the energy or Mike Hopkins recruiting anymore. I think the last 2 seasons have been hard for him and maybe make him realize it's time despite what he says.

JB quote on Coach K from SWC75's report on 02/16 call-in show (last post in thread):
He’s 72 and was in coaching for 50 years. That’s enough. When you retire and you’re past 70 – you do nothing.”

JB keeps coaching b/c he's afraid to retire to "nothing".
This take, right or wrong, makes me have empathy for JB vs. be upset with him. I feel sorry for JB.
He should be happy b/c he's doing what he "wants" -but is misguided, therefore don't think he is happy.
Afraid to retire.
Does he mean “nothing” in terms of other jobs? Like, you’re too old so nobody will want you?

Or does he mean “nothing” as in too old to enjoy hobbies and travel?

Jim would have been such a GREAT color commentator. Knows everything about the game, communicates it incredibly well to lay people, witty, unafraid to provide sincere critiques and address thorny issues

He could be several years into absolutely crushing a TV gig. It's a shame.

Does he mean “nothing” in terms of other jobs? Like, you’re too old so nobody will want you?

Or does he mean “nothing” as in too old to enjoy hobbies and travel?
I think the 2nd one. It's too bad because he would be great on TV talking about basketball and showing the side he doesn't like people to see.

Jim would have been such a GREAT color commentator. Knows everything about the game, communicates it incredibly well to lay people, witty, unafraid to provide sincere critiques and address thorny issues

He could be several years into absolutely crushing a TV gig. It's a shame.
There's still time.
After all, Dick Vitale is 83.

I think the 2nd one. It's too bad because he would be great on TV talking about basketball and showing the side he doesn't like people to see.
Agreed. I loved listening to Bobby Knight for a few years on TV…..of course it wasn’t long before he was screaming at fans standing in front of him to sit down, while his mic was on….

When JB eventually does hang it up, I wonder if he'll consider a couple of years in a broadcasting role. I feel like him and Sean McDonough together for instance could actually be pretty entertaining calling games.

Did I say that or is this just deflection? The reverse is Miller knew nothing about his assistant cheating but JB knew someone helped Melo with a paper and should have been fired.
If you want to think that JAB isn't a scumbag, but Sean Miller is ... well, that's your right, but it's not grounded in any kind of reality. The reputation of JAB among fans outside of Syracuse is that he's a cheating jerk. And if we're going to employ a cheating jerk, then I want to win while doing it because the NCAA is a joke and the "student-athlete" system is corrupt from top to bottom. Sean Miller has shown he can coach in the present game. JAB has not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom