Why? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why?

I'm confident that JB will be remembered for the totality of his body of work and not these past few years that have been duds. Like I don't think Bobby Bowden and Denny Crum for instance are remembered for the lousy finishes.

Ugh, retiring in 2016 after the Final Four would have been just the perfect curtain call on a very high note.
I think you're right when all is said and one and how I've tried to look at it. But I think one part of leadership, as opposed to SWC's Willie Mays example later in the thread, is passing your organization off to someone in good shape and JB will be hurt in that regard.

He must have atleast another year on his contract and has already alluded to coming back next season.

I fully expect him back. That’s hard for me to say because we need a split expeditiously.

I just do not see him quitting or retiring. The only way we get a change is if the BOT, President, and AD decide it’s best for the program. I do not see them forcing JB out under any circumstances.

So best case scenario is he finishes out his contract(assuming it’s only one more year) and we make a clean break with no extensions.

The huge problem is next season could be an unmitigated disaster. Several guys could leave. One guy committed. Never been great at portal.

If that's the case, I'm done until they hire someone new. Seriously.
Watching this garbage isn't worth my time anymore. It's certainly not "entertaining" or "fun".

I think you're right when all is said and one and how I've tried to look at it. But I think one part of leadership, as opposed to SWC's Willie Mays example later in the thread, is passing your organization off to someone in good shape and JB will be hurt in that regard.

It's way too late for that. That was what the hand-off to Mike was supposed to be. We were still a good program, drawing top 100 recruits back then. We're garbage now, and I can't imagine how bad we'll be next year. We'll probably have another 50% drop in attendance if he's back.

I think it's probably accurate to say that without the "it's time" noise around him, building louder each year, he would have retired by now - if only because he would have considered it on his terms

JB's thoughts/rantings: I'LL PROVE THEM ALL WRONG...NONE OF THEM HAS ANY CLUE ABOUT THE GAME...I BUILT THIS THING AND IT'S MINE... etc etc

I truly believe he knows the ship is sinking and he wants to turn it around before he hands the key to someone else, except the ship has sunk lower and lower and all he could do is keep doing it because he will not admit defeat.

Meanwhile he has worked out a system that allows him to continue working with less intensity and wear. He travels less for recruits, he puts in less time running practices, he employs the zone exclusively whereas M2M requires a bit of time and effort to scout opponents before each game, but these are all catching up to him.
Hmm. In very recent business terms this sounds like "quiet quitting."

It's way too late for that. That was what the hand-off to Mike was supposed to be. We were still a good program, drawing top 100 recruits back then. We're garbage now, and I can't imagine how bad we'll be next year. We'll probably have another 50% drop in attendance if he's back.
I don't disagree and that's why I said he'd be hurt in that regard. The Hop timeline would have worked out better

I think it's probably accurate to say that without the "it's time" noise around him, building louder each year, he would have retired by now - if only because he would have considered it on his terms
I wonder about that.

Watching this garbage isn't worth my time anymore. It's certainly not "entertaining" or "fun".

And with the projected departure of about half our team and only 1 recruit signed for next year who is a project and not going to be counted on to be an impact player year 1 what is the there to look forward too?

And with the projected departure of about half our team and only 1 recruit signed for next year who is a project and not going to be counted on to be an impact player year 1 what is the there to look forward too?

A new coach. New methods, new strategies, new players.
Full reboot.

JB's thoughts/rantings: I'LL PROVE THEM ALL WRONG...NONE OF THEM HAS ANY CLUE ABOUT THE GAME...I BUILT THIS THING AND IT'S MINE... etc etc

I get what you're saying, but I don't think he would have retired by now, if he didn't do it after getting to coach both his sons. It just doesn't match everything else that we've seen about him.

That's such a fallacy. If that's the case why haven't Seton Hall, St John's, Providence, BC, Pitt enjoyed the same extended level of success.

Because we also have the biggest on-campus arena in college sports. The Dome is what separated us from all the Catholic schools in the big cities who lacked their own gyms.

And remember, Boeheim didn't even want to play there. He bitched about how he preferred to keep playing in Manley. Do you think we would have ever won a national championship or made all those Final Fours if we were still playing in an arena that was among the smallest in all of college basketball?

A new coach. New methods, new strategies, new players.
Full reboot.

Yes can't wait to see what Sean Miller does here will be exciting times. (Yes I am trying to speak Sean Miller into existence because I can't think of one good reason why he isn't the top choice and wouldn't accept the position)

Yes can't wait to see what Sean Miller does here will be exciting times. (Yes I am trying to speak Sean Miller into existence because I can't think of one good reason why he isn't the top choice and wouldn't accept the position)

Because he let his assistant be the fall guy and go to jail.

As someone noted above there have been breadcrumbs along the way...
Remember at the height of the Fine mess, when it was pretty much the top story in American sports, JB's attitude/demeanor/remarks in the one presser? Essentially laughed at the notion of his job being in jeopardy, very much a "I'm untouchable" posture - and I believe he's hardened that posture in the 12 years since

LOL You are the one putting on tinfoil hat now. Richardson ruined his life. Went to jail. Never going to coach again. To cover for Miller? You get on other people for conspiracy theories.

Hey, Nate Oats still has a guy starting on his likely Final Four team who provided a gun to murder a guy's girlfriend.

And you remember, of course, that Dave Bliss helped his team cover up a murder at Baylor. And then there's all the schools who have had players get into trouble for sexual assault.

Sean Miller is none of those guys. Sean Miller has done nothing that John Wooden, Coach K or John Calipari haven't done before.

Sean Miller's guy is only in jail because he lied to law enforcement, not because he paid a player.

Watching the last two games was very hard. This one especially made me so angry. You get so aggravated because we can’t do anything about it. We are held hostage by a narcissistic grandpa who won’t get out of his own way.

He believes all our fans are on his side. He believes the 2/3 is the best option on defense. Apparently he is smarter than every other coach in America. He believes it’s the players fault and assumes no responsibility at all. Refuses to recruit hard. It’s the same stuff we all repeat ad nauseam.

Knowing he will almost certainly be back next season is the worst feeling of all.

Tinfoil hat - Tinfiol hate

“All of the actions, or nearly all of the actions that these two assistant coaches took, were covert,” IARP arbitrator Dana Welch said. “With respect to former assistant men’s basketball coach No. 1, they were criminal. It took the FBI two years of wiretapping to find out what he had done. So in our view, these kind of actions could not have been detected by the head coach.”

The infractions report said it “found no violation for the former head men’s basketball coach because the hearing panel determined that the former head men’s basketball coach demonstrated that he promoted an atmosphere of compliance and monitored two of his assistant coaches regarding the academic eligibility of men’s basketball prospective student-athletes, rebutting the presumption of head coach responsibility.”

Richardson was fired by the university and later pleaded guilty to accepting $20,000 in bribes from aspiring business manager Christian Dawkins. He was sentenced to three months in prison in 2019.

Because we also have the biggest on-campus arena in college sports. The Dome is what separated us from all the Catholic schools in the big cities who lacked their own gyms.

And remember, Boeheim didn't even want to play there. He bitched about how he preferred to keep playing in Manley. Do you think we would have ever won a national championship or made all those Final Fours if we were still playing in an arena that was among the smallest in all of college basketball?
Reminds me of the Golf quote by Gary Player and others, "the harder I practice, the luckier I get".

JAB found himself in a great situation, but the engine didn't drive itself. He's the conductor of the train. Always was, always will be.

But no one is arguing to have him continue coaching. So while I don't agree with what you are saying, I believe we all want what's best for the future of the program.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom